Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Source: Official NRL Website
Author: Matt Encarnacion
Date: Monday 23rd June

It's the emboldening friendship that Reni Maitua hopes could be the lasting legacy of what would be a distinguished, if a little colourful, career.

After almost 11 seasons in the NRL, including the two years he spent sidelined for testing positive to a banned substance, life for Maitua the Footballer isn't far from coming to a close.

But that's where life for Maitua the Resident Sage begins.

When the 32-year-old indefinitely gave up alcohol after his terrifying brush with death last year, little did he know the profound effect his decision would have on a future teammate 12 years his junior.

Yet as soon as he met rookie playmaker Moses Mbye, the former Bulldog suddenly realised why he was destined to finish his career where it started.

"I'd love to finish my career at this club as high as possible in terms of, you know, a grand final would be the dream that every footballer wants to finish a career on – the fairytale ending," Maitua tells NRL.com.

"But I've sort of taken on a role as a bit of a leader and a mentor for the young kids, especially guys in reserve grade. I really enjoy being around the reserve grade boys. A lot of them are like 10 years younger than me."

One kid in particular, he of the self-absorbed i-generation, caught his eye. And so, like a couple of lovebirds in their honeymoon period, the two have spent much of the season not only side by side, but also completely sober – a rarity in the blokey fraternity that is rugby league.

"When I told him that I wasn't going to drink for a long period of time – if ever again – he took that on board and he hasn't drank all year himself," Maitua says.

"There's a couple of players there that, they've listened to words you say, because they know that I've lived the life and I do have the experience of the dos and donts.

"Moses in particular is someone I've spent a lot of time with. He's only 20 years old and I see so much potential in the future of his game. He's already had to grow up quite fast, and he's already got that football brain. I can tell how bad he wants it.

"I do talk to the other players, but he's one in particular that I've really taken under my wing, trying to get him stay at my house as much as possible and teach him what's right and wrong."

Often times, Maitua says, the effect has been reciprocal.

"I feed off him too," he says. "We both don't drink, we haven't drank for a long, long time. Whatever knowledge I can pass on now, at the end of my career, it'd be something I can be proud of when I finish as well."

It's been over six months since Maitua returned to Belmore and he's had just three short stints of first grade to show for it.

But, and this is the stuff legacies are built on, it's been over eight months since he last touched a drop of alcohol – and the results have been so much better, so much healthier, that he's even contemplated giving it up for life.

"Obviously if we win the premiership I could have a couple of drinks," he points out. "But I didn't put a timeframe on it. I didn't say I was going to drink at this point or that point. I didn't want to set any goals.

"I take it day by day. I haven't drunk for about eight months, but I'd like it to be for the rest of my life, not just the rest of my career. I'll see what happens. I don't think about drinking and I don't want to drink. If that means for the rest of my life, then I'm happy with that'

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah great read.

If the Bulldogs win the Grand Final, a couple beers would be sweet!

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it amazing that booze is so ingrained in footy and Australian culture that this is actually an issue.
"Will I drink or won't i?", "when will I drink?, "how much will I drink when I have a drink?"
I mean, who cares? Have some beers or do not. I know he is just answering the questions but why is it so important that we find out this info?
Good article outside that and glad Reni is having a positive impact at the club.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I find it amazing that booze is so ingrained in footy and Australian culture that this is actually an issue.
"Will I drink or won't i?", "when will I drink?, "how much will I drink when I have a drink?"
I mean, who cares? Have some beers or do not. I know he is just answering the questions but why is it so important that we find out this info?
Good article outside that and glad Reni is having a positive impact at the club.
All Im saying its ok to have a few beers if you like but you must know your limit.

I have had a few beers all my adult life but I have never had a crap in a hallway, glassed a woman or belted her. These guys just handle their drinks & should not. Some can & some cant.

A couple weekends ago I met up with the quite a few of the 1984 Bulldogs team (30 year anniversary). All were drinking, had a good time & did not cause any trouble. The way it should be.

If Reni has chosen to never drink again, thats fine too!

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All i can say is reni must be in the 17 somewhere for the rest of the season. He is being under used imo.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The story isn't all about alcohol, that is just a part. Reni is sharing his experiences with these kids and that is a very good thing.

I was very iffy about Reni coming back but now he's here I can see it means alot to him and I'm very glad it happened.

Hope to see him get a few more minutes this week.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They are better Muslims then Ferguson without being Muslims lol

Good work on them, grog has a bad impact on the body especially for people training at a professional level.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Because for a lot of Aussies, it's actually hard. In the last year I took a good look at my mates and came to realise that everything we did revolved around drinking. I knew I needed that to change, and organise a lot of things now where alcohol isn't some sort of reward for doing an activity. Also for blokes to realise you can talk to another bloke without having to have had a drink.

The.X.Factor

Forum Maniac
Reaction score
I know this is probably a bit over the top to some, but personally I think alcohol should be banned during the season. Alcohol itself inhibits recovery and has negative effects on hormone production.

As professional athletes they should be trying to ensure that they are in peak physical fitness and ready to perform when need be, alcohol is a toxin that decreases the ability to perform optimally.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I know this is probably a bit over the top to some, but personally I think alcohol should be banned during the season. Alcohol itself inhibits recovery and has negative effects on hormone production.

As professional athletes they should be trying to ensure that they are in peak physical fitness and ready to perform when need be, alcohol is a toxin that decreases the ability to perform optimally.
True, but for many it's a way to de-stress and relax. That said, there are better ways to de-stress and if you suffer from anxiety and/or depression then alcohol can make it much worse.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you need to consider the negative effects alcohol regulalry has on people, on families on wives and children.
If you have had any dealings with a drunk, then the promotion of someone who is not drinking is a critical newsworthy message.
The NSW team, for example, is sponsored by VB, we are constantly inundated with alcohol advertsing. There must be some balance.
a discussion of people who dont use alcohol must exist. maybe not for you but for the kid who watches his drunk dad beat his mum, or the kid who watches his parents spend all the savings money on beer, or the kid who's parents dont come and watch them play sport on saturdays cos they are going to the pub.
alcohol has an incredibly negative power when abused. that message must get out there. i am glad for you if you dont think that message is necessary but i am telling you it is. someone has to be the voice of hope for those that suffer

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you need to consider the negative effects alcohol regulalry has on people, on families on wives and children.
If you have had any dealings with a drunk, then the promotion of someone who is not drinking is a critical newsworthy message.
The NSW team, for example, is sponsored by VB, we are constantly inundated with alcohol advertsing. There must be some balance.
a discussion of people who dont use alcohol must exist. maybe not for you but for the kid who watches his drunk dad beat his mum, or the kid who watches his parents spend all the savings money on beer, or the kid who's parents dont come and watch them play sport on saturdays cos they are going to the pub.
alcohol has an incredibly negative power when abused. that message must get out there. i am glad for you if you dont think that message is necessary but i am telling you it is. someone has to be the voice of hope for those that suffer
Although I am a fairly heavy drinker, I completely agree with your post....

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope Reni becomes a staple part of the side by the end of the year and we re-sign him.

The.X.Factor

Forum Maniac
Reaction score
True, but for many it's a way to de-stress and relax.
But thats the thing though, alcohol itself can act as a stressor to the body. Constant alcohol consumption can lead to an increase in cortisol, chronically high cortisol levels can have very serious effects on the body.

That said, there are better ways to de-stress and if you suffer from anxiety and/or depression then alcohol can make it much worse.
Exactly there are so many more ways an athlete can "de-stress" themselves other than putting toxins in their body. Agree 100% with what you said on the negative effects alcohol has on a persons mental state, especially since depression is highly prevalent in the male population and they are less likely to go seek help. Men are also more likely to commit suicide than woman, so having players in a highly stressful environment that can possibly develop extreme negative mental states consuming alcohol is not a good thing.

Good post.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Well said.

It's funny how there is so much issues revolved around gambling and alcohol in Rugby League, yet the biggest sponsors are alcohol companies, and those stupid Tom Waterhouse/Sportsbet ads that pop up 50 times a game telling us to "gamble responsibly". What exactly is responsible gambling? There's no such thing. Gambling is an irresponsible act period. If you choose to do it, go ahead. But it's never a responsible decision to do so.

It's no wonder some of the biggest names in our games have issues with gambling and drinking, when the NRL itself is engulfed in hypocrisy. We punish the players, but don't punish the fat executives who are indoctrinating these kids into such a culture.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well said.

It's funny how there is so much issues revolved around gambling and alcohol in Rugby League, yet the biggest sponsors are alcohol companies, and those stupid Tom Waterhouse/Sportsbet ads that pop up 50 times a game telling us to "gamble responsibly". What exactly is responsible gambling? There's no such thing. Gambling is an irresponsible act period. If you choose to do it, go ahead. But it's never a responsible decision to do so.

It's no wonder some of the biggest names in our games have issues with gambling and drinking, when the NRL itself is engulfed in hypocrisy. We punish the players, but don't punish the fat executives who are indoctrinating these kids into such a culture.
Or worse, those stupid Bet365 adds with Samuel L Jackson that are so bad they make me want to drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.