Luke Thompson to Wigan warriors

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bs mate.

I’ve been in a contact sport a period of my life and I disagree there.

Money is one thing but let’s be honest. Thompsons contract is arguably as bad as trez or Napa for us. We have supported him in hard times with family, suspensions, head knocks etc. he’s been a liability for us and it’s not like he’s short changed after milking us for a few mil and barely playing.

If that was me I’d feel I owe the club something on their return. Not saying do it for free. Though I believe if he was a genuine bloke like say Jackson he would say to the club I’ve been a horrible few years here and don’t want to be remembered for that and milking the club. Give me a low 1-2 year deal and let me earn my next pay packet.

Flop again? I’m sure esl clubs will pay through the nose for him still. Deliver remotely near his current pay packet he will have nrl clubs and us included wanting to pay.

Jackson would of had several clubs offer more than he had with us in his prime. Never left. No different there.

Like Munster did with storm over dolphins etc sure there’s tons of blokes like it.

Thurston with cowboys.

Gallen with sharks.

Lots of these guys loved the club and wanted to repay them for the chance or the times they stuck with them.

Thompson running off for $ now says alot about his character to me when he hasn’t earned 1/4 of his wage here.
He’s not home grown so if the dogs offered 400k and someone came in with 600k why would anyone stay? Loyalty is basically Dead in pro team sports these days the guys you listed were all looked after by that club for a long time before sacrificing some money to finish their career at that club.

If you believe what your preaching I’m sure Averillo is dead to you then :tearsofjoy:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He’s not home grown so if the dogs offered 400k and someone came in with 600k why would anyone stay? Loyalty is basically Dead in pro team sports these days the guys you listed were all looked after by that club for a long time before sacrificing some money to finish their career at that club.

If you believe what your preaching I’m sure Averillo is dead to you then :tearsofjoy:
Gallen wasn’t home grown. Thurston wasn’t home grown. Munster debatable.

I believe what I’ve said 100%.

Averilo isn’t the same to me because he hasn’t been paid millions.

That said I don’t really care he took the $.

Again all things equal averilo is a young kid surrounded by shit for years and yet to really kick on. Shows some promise in attack and liability in defence. Will he improve? I believe so. Is he worth half a mil? Not for me. Rather taafe at half price at this stage. Longterm? Will see. Though with the pack the dolphins have and the players like hammer Herbie etc he will go well I believe.

Thompson on the other hand has been paid elite money from day 1 with us. He has provided nothing remotely in that galaxy.

He has completely and utterly taken us for a ride. Injuries happen he’s not to blame for them. I don’t. It shit luck and no doubt he would much prefer to be playing. Though he’s also had a lot of time away, concussions which the club no doubt went above and beyond for and suspensions. He’s not been a leader in anyway. He’s been highly paid and when the chance to say hey guys I know my contract has been a disaster but I want to show some loyalty and repay the club for the shit they have done and paid me….get a contract for 300k a year and see what he can do after 12 months. It’s not like he’s getting a train and trial contract ffs.

You say loyalty is dead and I understand that thought to me there is several cases that a man can show what he’s truly made of. If thompsons bounces to the dragons or tigers or storm or whatever for couple hundred k difference after milking us for a few million? says it all really.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@Bulldogs09 mate they weren’t home grown but you missed the point of the post they were all paid very well by the clubs they took pay cuts for.

Why is avo any different ? He wouldn’t have played NRL at 14 other clubs for 4 seasons now. So We have paid him top 30 money while not getting a return we then offered him a fair value contract and he took the higher money.

Why is it good for Avo But not Thompson? Like I said they should be able to earn as much as they want and if someone wants to pay them more then more power to them.

Doesn’t mean I agree with their value and all the best to Avo at the dolphins. Hopefully Thommo does stay at a reduced deal but if he gets a higher offer and take it i won’t be calling his character out about it.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
@Bulldogs09 mate they weren’t home grown but you missed the point of the post they were all paid very well by the clubs they took pay cuts for.

Why is avo any different ? He wouldn’t have played NRL at 14 other clubs for 4 seasons now. So We have paid him top 30 money while not getting a return we then offered him a fair value contract and he took the higher money.

Why is it good for Avo But not Thompson? Like I said they should be able to earn as much as they want and if someone wants to pay them more then more power to them.

Doesn’t mean I agree with their value and all the best to Avo at the dolphins. Hopefully Thommo does stay at a reduced deal but if he gets a higher offer and take it i won’t be calling his character out about it.
Why’s it different? 1 is a kid who has yet to earn large $. Has been surrounded by garbage and tried to make a career…

The other is one of the highest paid props (for years he was paid more than haas ffs think about that for a second).

He has done sweet fuck all and put next to nothing on the field for us…. Averilo has given it a crack in trying to make a name.

I don’t begrudge him for taking a deal he makes more as a kid who is trying to get going.

Thompson was paid to be the man. He’s been the man who got paid to do fuck all and walk out soon as that gravy train is over? Especially when you factor in averilo didn’t fick off to England for family (don’t blame Thompson for this but it shows the club did him solid) averilo wasn’t suspended numerous times for dumb shit… again his reputation. He was very well looked after with headknocks and now this year is yet to lace the boots and take the field while collecting 800k???

Yeh I see a big difference personally.

Same reason I don’t begrudge Meaney for going or Remis smith . These guys weren’t paid premium money to be a bloke who spent 3/4 his time off the field for us, collect a few million and then fuck off to anoth for club for a couple hundred k?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
the same can be said of Foran too, he actually said he just wants to play but when he was offered 350K instead of the Million he was on, he left
Nah.
Dollars per season wasn't the issue.
I doubt he got any more at Manly.
He asked for 2 season deal.
The club offered 1 season.
An offer when you don't really want to make an offer.
Turned out Foran was on the field 93% those two seasons.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So it’s Thompson’s fault the bulldogs paid him 800k a season and he’s got injured? That’s what the dogs thought he was worth from his time in England. No one has ever thought Smith, Avo and Meaney have ever done anything worth that sort of money hence why they have gotten small contracts all their careers and jumped ship when someone pays a bit extra.
only club legends seem to take pay cuts

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thompson played more games than Sio last two years
More games of chess?

Because it certainly wasn't rugby league. SST played 18 NRL games for the Roosters last year and another three for Tonga in the World Cup.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So it’s Thompson’s fault the bulldogs paid him 800k a season and he’s got injured? That’s what the dogs thought he was worth from his time in England. No one has ever thought Smith, Avo and Meaney have ever done anything worth that sort of money hence why they have gotten small contracts all their careers and jumped ship when someone pays a bit extra.
only club legends seem to take pay cuts
i agree that players should get as much as they can while they play bro - but from a fan perspective we have paid this **** top dollar and he has hardly earnt his cash- he owes the fans and the club. reality is he owes no one nothing and he is just a mercenary like the rest of them and doesnt give two shits about the jersey. He is not worth keeping anyway because IMO he is not up to NRL level as a prop. He offers to the dogs what @Nasheed offers to the kennel - nothing worthwhile.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
More games of chess?

Because it certainly wasn't rugby league. SST played 18 NRL games for the Roosters last year and another three for Tonga in the World Cup.
How many games did Sio play in 2023

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
was
i agree that players should get as much as they can while they play bro - but from a fan perspective we have paid this **** top dollar and he has hardly earnt his cash- he owes the fans and the club. reality is he owes no one nothing and he is just a mercenary like the rest of them and doesnt give two shits about the jersey. He is not worth keeping anyway because IMO he is not up to NRL level as a prop. He offers to the dogs what @Nasheed offers to the kennel - nothing worthwhile.
Yiu are just biased.
If Thompson was Tongan or Samoan you’d be singing his praises the way you are Sio even though Sio also hasn’t played this year and is 32 next year

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
was

Yiu are just biased.
If Thompson was Tongan or Samoan you’d be singing his praises the way you are Sio even though Sio also hasn’t played this year and is 32 next year
Thommo has not put two good games together. He is not up to being a dominant prop in the NRL.. SST is a proven prop. Thommo is a proven flop. i dont get the love he gets on here. TPJ cops it hard on here and he has offered 100 times more to the club than this idiot

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thommo has not put two good games together. He is not up to being a dominant prop in the NRL.. SST is a proven prop. Thommo is a proven flop. i dont get the love he gets on here. TPJ cops it hard on here and he has offered 100 times more to the club than this idiot
[emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If we're to re-sign him, I'm sure his contract would somehow be match payment related
That’s irrelevant, the NRL would assume he would play every game and include that total in our Cap.

It’s not the money that is relevant, we have plenty, the only thing that matters is the value in the Cap.

Always a Bulldog

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't believe anyone would want to keep Thommo, he gets dominated by every forward pack in the comp.
Honestly some that want to keep him even for a dollar must have shit for brains.