Luck? Or does fortune really favour the brave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
First of all, so great waking up after a win albeit an unconvincing one.

Putting the win into perspective, we were terrible in the first half in the sense that our execution let us down but we did create scoring opportunities which warms the heart.

The second half possession and momentum turned and we conceded 12 points (18 consecutively).

IMHO we never gave up.

We chased the game until the end and we were justly awarded for that sustained effort.

All my non Dogs fan friends have messaged me to say 'you guys were lucky' an opinion shared by many here.

Let me ask you this.

Montoya try with 5 to go, Reynolds delivers a nice quick face ball to Hoppa who betters that with his own no look skip pass to Montoya who finishes it like a first class winger.

Lucky?

Holland drills a sideline conversion under pressure

Lucky?

I guess this match winning try is what many refer to a 'lucky' ie Mbye

I have watched that final play 10 times now and each time it's obvious he has outsmarted Lamb . He knows the kick is going out so he sprints out of the line and Lamb eyes are on the ball only. Mbye then times his kick charge to perfection and the rest is history

If that was the Roosters, Broncos or Storm I doubt anyone calls that 'lucky'.

What was lucky was Mbye not colliding with the Knights trainer. seriously what happens if he is impeded?

Lucky is also Knights getting a penalty on 80th min by the touch judge influence. That's twice now when a touch judge has over ruled a crucial call in our games

This block happens every fkn week

Reynolds was on the lower end but his reputation precedes him I guess.

Anyway whilst we played very average as a whole...I'm happy with the fight especially from our young boys.

'Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good'

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I didnt understand on that last try from Mbye was why he wasnt desperately trying to score under the posts.

He sort of made a half effort to move the ball in, thank goodness, but realistically he could have put it under the black dot.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good sides make their own luck; that's for sure. Mbye proved his worth by attacking the last play by the Knights, and deserved his reward. Luck does run against us as well. There were some terrible calls by the refs, and a number of incidents that should have resolved into penalties, but were ignored.

The best thing to take from the game is that the Dogs never gave up.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One thing I didnt understand on that last try from Mbye was why he wasnt desperately trying to score under the posts.

He sort of made a half effort to move the ball in, thank goodness, but realistically he could have put it under the black dot.
I read the officials made Holland take that kick further out from where Mbye scored it too

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good sides make their own luck; that's for sure. Mbye proved his worth by attacking the last play by the Knights, and deserved his reward. Luck does run against us as well. There were some terrible calls by the refs, and a number of incidents that should have resolved into penalties, but were ignored.

The best thing to take from the game is that the Dogs never gave up.
100 percent

The sloppy play the ball in that last set by Knights hooker I have seen called knock on many times

The quick tap try I have seen that called back plenty

The 80th minute penalty should have been 40 out not 30m

List goes on

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the officials made Holland take that kick further out from where Mbye scored it too
It's actually getting so stupidly ridiculous now. We are copping these contentious calls every week now and with it going unchecked and unpunished, it's becoming a free for all now.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Holland is a hot/cold sharp shooter so he was probably confident with that. Yesterday was a hot day for Holland. Lucky.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Yep dumb footy right there. He was to busy mouthing off to the chasers to put it closer to the sticks.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holland is a hot/cold sharp shooter so he was probably confident with that. Yesterday was a hot day for Holland. Lucky.
It's a shame he is not more consistent because he often nails the really important kicks.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100 percent

The sloppy play the ball in that last set by Knights hooker I have seen called knock on many times

The quick tap try I have seen that called back plenty

The 80th minute penalty should have been 40 out not 30m

List goes on
It was a knock on. That and the missed trip early were wither cheating OR the refs weren't even looking which is just as bad.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There was absolutely nothing to be impressed about with that win but if people are happy with it that's good.

The fact that Mbye outsmarted a rookie with a handful of games should be expected not applauded.

bulldog_ando

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There was absolutely nothing to be impressed about with that win but if people are happy with it that's good.

The fact that Mbye outsmarted a rookie with a handful of games should be expected not applauded.
Exactly.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lucky or not we should never have been in the position we were in. This isn't a comeback win against the Top 4 nor the Top 8 nor even final contenders, it was against the team running dead last and not having won a single game for over 2 months.

We should've won that game comfortably

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The Knights were too predictable with their kicking it out technique and Mbye exploited that. It was lucky for it to come off though.

Reynolds is a grade A idiot and you can't say that block happens every game. Similar blocks happen, but Reynolds took a dude out for effs sake. Only Reynolds is dumb enough to execute it that badly. I am actually surprised he didn't trip him.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would not have been very amusing if Reynolds was binned for that move and then the knights went on to convert the penalty.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to rely on luck to beat the last placed team in the comp, any other team that is above us will beat us and that's with a full strength team, also why would you want our team to make the finals when we have no chance of making or winning the GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.