SMH Luai

Status
Not open for further replies.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only thing is the Roosters would likely get Luai and keep May. They'd probably let Keary go though who'll be even more busted by 2025 if he's still playing at all. This is why I think the Roosters will sign either Luai or Dearden for 25
Maybe not being able to offload Crichton to rugby will hamper their efforts.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Only thing is the Roosters would likely get Luai and keep May. They'd probably let Keary go though who'll be even more busted by 2025 if he's still playing at all. This is why I think the Roosters will sign either Luai or Dearden for 25
I hate Roosters so much. Dearden my favourite non Bulldogs player. Be pissed if he goes to Roosters

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What Mason and plenty of others are missing is that the Penrith offer was only for 2 years. Whereas the other spine players were offered 4/5 years. That's disrespecting Luai.

Always a Bulldog
He is drawing attention to the plight of players leaving the pennies and then only winning 6 games or so lol....we don't need him to point that out! ;)

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is where Big William falls short in his position with the club, he’s not a lateral thinker in that sense - Granted he’s on a podcast and is entitled to his opinion but not when that opinion damages the club or lacks the consideration of (a) players currently at the club or (b) our attempt to lure quality players to the club. It was a negligent opinion based on his current role at the club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is where Big William falls short in his position with the club, he’s not a lateral thinker in that sense - Granted he’s on a podcast and is entitled to his opinion but not when that opinion damages the club or lacks the consideration of (a) players currently at the club or (b) our attempt to lure quality players to the club. It was a negligent opinion based on his current role at the club.
He certainly is not a big picture guy...let alone lateral thinker lol.

Lunix86

Waterboy
Reaction score
I hate Roosters so much. Dearden my favourite non Bulldogs player. Be pissed if he goes to Roosters
100% would be having a go at getting dearden.... surely Crichton backflipping on rugby blocks the Roosters from doing anything??

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
100% would be having a go at getting dearden.... surely Crichton backflipping on rugby blocks the Roosters from doing anything??
Roosters will get what they want, they always do. Will say Suaalii was on 1mil a season to cover it

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He certainly is not a big picture guy...let alone lateral thinker lol.
he is good for a few sound bites but that’s about it. But what he said can be easily retracted in some personal conversations with potential recruits etc

Reaction score
What Mason and plenty of others are missing is that the Penrith offer was only for 2 years. Whereas the other spine players were offered 4/5 years. That's disrespecting Luai.

Always a Bulldog
100%. 850K is simply to make penrith fans look like they tried to keep luai. They couldn't give a rats if he left or not. Ivan is going to show nepotism and chuck in Jett there so the whole team has to play according to his sons. I have the unpopular opinion that if Luai left he would individually get a lot better. Many people think he is carried. I think that's what is holding his career back from developing. As we saw him play for Samoa in the world cup he had to carry a rotating spine of Suaalii, Milford and different hookers with his forward pack getting dominated in some games. I think in good teams he looks overrated, but in bad teams he looks a lot better. I wouldn't offer him over 1.2 million but he is definitely worth over a million in the new market. You also add in how he plays better when under pressure from media and fans to perform. Think about how he got a 4 rating in origin game 1 when he set up both of NSW's tries while media darlings Teddy and Cleary both got a 6. He is the scapegoat for others. As the main man in a struggling team, he has even more responsibility which I think he would thrive in. For me, not that he is as good, but it would be similar to the Cronk situation leaving storm for roosters

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100%. 850K is simply to make penrith fans look like they tried to keep luai. They couldn't give a rats if he left or not. Ivan is going to show nepotism and chuck in Jett there so the whole team has to play according to his sons. I have the unpopular opinion that if Luai left he would individually get a lot better. Many people think he is carried. I think that's what is holding his career back from developing. As we saw him play for Samoa in the world cup he had to carry a rotating spine of Suaalii, Milford and different hookers with his forward pack getting dominated in some games. I think in good teams he looks overrated, but in bad teams he looks a lot better. I wouldn't offer him over 1.2 million but he is definitely worth over a million in the new market. You also add in how he plays better when under pressure from media and fans to perform. Think about how he got a 4 rating in origin game 1 when he set up both of NSW's tries while media darlings Teddy and Cleary both got a 6. He is the scapegoat for others. As the main man in a struggling team, he has even more responsibility which I think he would thrive in. For me, not that he is as good, but it would be similar to the Cronk situation leaving storm for roosters
Couldn’t agree more, he will be the key to unlocking our backline

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What would be disrespecting him, is if they didn't offer him a contract.

Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more, he will be the key to unlocking our backline
Not sure about that tbh. If you put him with Flanagan at Dragons at 2025 I think they strike up an excellent combination. Even at Tigers, Benji being a similar type of player in terms of style to Luai makes me think he would be their marquee go to man. At Doggies, Luai and Burton would be awful. Watching their penrith games together with both of them left footed was very messy. Sexton and Luai wouldn't be much better. We need a great halfback like Reynolds or DCE who has experience when on the back foot. As well as a consistent damaging prop up front. 5/8 is not the position we need, although as seen in the world cup Luai basically carried Milford that whole tournament and is an excellent team player who unlocks players he did wtih Lafai and Ligi Sao. Unfortunately we have too many individual players like Burton, Kikau, Mahoney etc. who go to water when it gets tough

axeman23

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog

Which sort of makes me think they've got him keeping the seat warm for Cleary Jr...

Status
Not open for further replies.