SMH Luai

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon he stays he's already squeezed an extra 50k out of the panthers.
850k per year in a team that you'll win games and premierships is pretty good.
At least you'll be happy rather then losing every week.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith know he’s gone, firstly they prioritised other players over him and then low balled him. He was pissed off with old agent for conflict of interest as also agent for Clearys. This is only a face saving offer so they can appease fans etc. He WILL get massive offers from obviously Dogs, Tigers and Dragons, but I think the smokey will be the rorters. I regard him as an elite half/five eighth, he’s a proven great 5/8 and he’s played enough 1/2 for me to believe that he will excel in that position also. He’s a niggler but he’s a tough kid who would work in well with our backs plus have longstanding combinations.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Before signing taffe I would’ve said Crichton fullback 100%.
now that we signed taffe and the way Crichton played the GF surely he stays a centre and taffe fullback.
Why do people think a reserve grade half is going to play FB for us ? Have you seen his output at FB for Souths it’s very fucking ordinary and that’s with the extraordinary game he had against our muppets

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do people think a reserve grade half is going to play FB for us ? Have you seen his output at FB for Souths it’s very fucking ordinary and that’s with the extraordinary game he had against our muppets
Don't watch many rabbits games but I did go watch them vs titans this year. From what I saw he went alright. Very busy in defence and vocal. Didn't look out of place FG and he's game was noticeable.

Might have missed something but hasn't he spent most of his senior games in the 1?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't watch many rabbits games but I did go watch them vs titans this year. From what I saw he went alright. Very busy in defence and vocal. Didn't look out of place FG and he's game was noticeable.

Might have missed something but hasn't he spent most of his senior games in the 1?
He’s played something like 20 games at FG at FB. Averages 60-70 meters a game. Yes he’s vocal but can you imagine the outrage here when he churns out 70 meters a game?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d rather throw 950k at Pappy than anything at luai. I know the possibility of pappenhauzen is close to zero but he’d be a better fit.

When fit he takes the 1 jersey. Critta to his strongest position (guy isn’t a fullback unfortunately, well not a good one anyways). Taaffe slots into the halves if need, probably his best position at this stage of his career.

We lack a game manager like Cleary, Dce, to a lesser extent hunt. Luai isn’t this player. For a million Plus he’d be a massive let down. Fingers crossed he takes the 850k at the panthers.

In reality we won’t recruit our way out of this. We will need to wait until our pathways strengthen up. Unfortunately took Penrith about 7 years. Overpaying for stop gaps won’t help us long term.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d rather throw 950k at Pappy than anything at luai. I know the possibility of pappenhauzen is close to zero but he’d be a better fit.

When fit he takes the 1 jersey. Critta to his strongest position (guy isn’t a fullback unfortunately, well not a good one anyways). Taaffe slots into the halves if need, probably his best position at this stage of his career.

We lack a game manager like Cleary, Dce, to a lesser extent hunt. Luai isn’t this player. For a million Plus he’d be a massive let down. Fingers crossed he takes the 850k at the panthers.

In reality we won’t recruit our way out of this. We will need to wait until our pathways strengthen up. Unfortunately took Penrith about 7 years. Overpaying for stop gaps won’t help us long term.
I’d take one of those two BUT if we’re not signing middle forwards thereafter, we’re going to get dominated severely - with TPJ gone, we formally have the weakest pack of forwards in the clubs history… that changes with 2-3 solid signings (2 middles and a lock).

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dragons, Flange Snr and 5 Year $5.5m+ deal is a a chance with Hunt let go to return to Qld I reckon. Or, he stays in Choclatesoldierville..

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who else is there to play fullback?
Crichton is best at his natural position.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Penrith know he’s gone, firstly they prioritised other players over him and then low balled him. He was pissed off with old agent for conflict of interest as also agent for Clearys. This is only a face saving offer so they can appease fans etc. He WILL get massive offers from obviously Dogs, Tigers and Dragons, but I think the smokey will be the rorters. I regard him as an elite half/five eighth, he’s a proven great 5/8 and he’s played enough 1/2 for me to believe that he will excel in that position also. He’s a niggler but he’s a tough kid who would work in well with our backs plus have longstanding combinations.
If the dogs are interested and I think we are , then he’s on his way here !!
The panthers connections were building will be a significant factor and you could argue the roosters are on the decline and once Tedesco and others retire they’ll find out the the same issue we’ve been facing that there is no real quality on the market , so the dogs would be a more attractive proposition if we’re able to pay market value approx $1.1m py at minimum .

The more interesting discussion would be what to do with Burton ?
He sucks as 7 and Luai is a proven 6 .

Left side
Luai
Kikau
Crichton
Fox

If it does eventuate , that left side is absolute [emoji91]

Malla

Reaction score
I reckon he stays he's already squeezed an extra 50k out of the panthers.
850k per year in a team that you'll win games and premierships is pretty good.
At least you'll be happy rather then losing every week.
Only 2 years.

He can get an extra 400k per year over an extra 2 years minimum at other clubs.

DogSince67

40 years a Dog!
Reaction score
Luai is 26.
He knows there is someone younger to take his place, hence only a 2 year contract.
He has won 3 comps, but I reckon he would want to have a more secure situation, a longer deal, and more money rather than 4 or 5 comps.
All runs come to an end.
There is only one place he will go to, and that's us. Mates, coach, and on the up (hopefully).
I wouldn't be surprised if the deal is already done.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I done a bit of digging with some contacts out Penrith way.

I asked why did Luai dump SFX, was it because of a conflict of interest since George represents the Clearys plus 6 other Penrith players and Luai believed he was down their list of priorities?

Does he have a case looking at the top 5;
Ivan and Nathan Cleary both signed to 2027
Dylan Edwards signed to 2027
James Fisher-Harris singed to 2026
Isaah Yeo signed to 2027

It's hard not to agree that Luai, with a much shorter 2 year offer on the table, has been treated much worse than SFX's other Penrith players. That's before we even get into the $'s. If he sacked SFX because he thought they were short selling him, then he will be even more pissed with Penrith because they are definitely shafting him.

The posts so far are mostly missing the real $'s involved. If Penrith's current offer is $850k per season for 2 years = $1.7m Compared to another club that has offered $1.1m per season for 4 years = $4.4m. That's not a $250k difference, it's a $2.7m difference. What player in their right mind is going to take $1.7m guaranteed instead of $4.4m guaranteed.

No player knows what is going to happen in the next contract period, he might have a career ending injury in season 1. With a 4 year contract he gets paid for 3 more years. With a 2 year contract he gets paid for 1 more year. The length of the contracts offered can't be ignored when comparing offers from different clubs.

The above to me indicates that Luai is pissed that he is still being low balled, not necessarily on $'s but absolutely on contract length. He might get over it to play with his buddies, but he might not.

Always a Bulldog

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

I asked why did Luai dump SFX, was it because of a conflict of interest since George represents the Clearys plus 6 other Penrith players and Luai believed he was down their list of priorities?

Isaah Yeo signed to 2027

It's hard not to agree that Luai, with a much shorter 2 year offer on the table, has been treated much worse than SFX's other Penrith players. That's before we even get into the $'s. If he sacked SFX because he thought they were short selling him, then he will be even more pissed with Penrith because they are definitely shafting him.

The posts so far are mostly missing the real $'s involved. If Penrith's current offer is $850k per season for 2 years = $1.7m Compared to another club that has offered $1.1m per season for 4 years = $4.4m. That's not a $250k difference, it's a $2.7m difference. What player in their right mind is going to take $1.7m guaranteed instead of $4.4m guaranteed.

No player knows what is going to happen in the next contract period, he might have a career ending injury in season 1. With a 4 year contract he gets paid for 3 more years. With a 2 year contract he gets paid for 1 more year. The length of the contracts offered can't be ignored when comparing offers from different clubs.

The above to me indicates that Luai is pissed that he is still being low balled, not necessarily on $'s but absolutely on contract length. He might get over it to play with his buddies, but he might not.

Always a Bulldog
If I had 3 premiership rings with a possible 4th next year, I'd chase the the money too, we all would.

But I wouldn't sign with the tigers or dragons, that's for sure.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Isaah Yeo signed to 2027

Always a Bulldog
So you done a bit of digging as to why Luai dumped SFX but then you go on to talk about everything other than why he actually dumped SFX. ‍♂‍♂‍♂

Always a blowarse

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So you done a bit of digging as to why Luai dumped SFX but then you go on to talk about everything other than why he dumped SFX. ‍♂‍♂‍♂
Perhaps you missed this;
"was it because of a conflict of interest since George represents the Clearys plus 6 other Penrith players"
and
"It's hard not to agree that Luai, with a much shorter 2 year offer on the table, has been treated much worse than SFX's other Penrith players"

Always a Bulldog

Status
Not open for further replies.