Opinion Let's be realistic

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noone is living in the past. The future is shit and bleek and we are looking back at the past up till now to see what and where it has gone wrong.

You have to find the root of the problem to move forward
99% of us know the root of the problem. But it's about not making those same mistakes.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
piss the cap off let’s all be dirty like the storm rorters and Melgrubs that’s a level playing field ain’t it cos it sure ain’t level now

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
piss the cap off let’s all be dirty like the storm rorters and Melgrubs that’s a level playing field ain’t it cos it sure ain’t level now
No salary cap would insure that the rotters win 75%of the comps, while the broncos and Storm win the other 25%, what we need is a whole new Administration, with no influence from those who own the game News and Ch9. A game for the working people the true fans of the game. Not a game to further inflate the ego of a few multi millionaires.
To fix the problem all that is needed is $2-3 million dollars and the will power.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poor management is to blame and also we’ve forgotten how to cook the books. C’mon tell me all the best sides aren’t doing it, the Roosters could field 2 first grade sides at the moment....cheating pays

Look how rich cheating athletes are...from Lance Armstrong to Brock Lesnar. The storm losing a few titles did nothing compared to how much they gained by cheating the cap and it’s so fucking easy if you do it properly otherwise get used to being the minnows of the NRL

Nice guys finish last boys...never truer words spoken

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We as fans are doing it hard and have been for a long time!! BUT the true fans/supporters like myself, and all of YOU.. I speak for most, are still here through it all and are not going anywhere , when we finally get the performances we want it will be worth the wait, at the moment it just feels long an painful and I do not blame Anyone for speaking out an telling it how it is!!

Chin up people, we will be a force again.. it’s just a waiting game at the moment..!!!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poor management is to blame and also we’ve forgotten how to cook the books. C’mon tell me all the best sides aren’t doing it....cheating pays

Look how rich cheating athletes are...from Lance Armstrong to Brick Lesnar. The storm losing a few titles did nothing compared to how much they gained by cheating the cap and it’s so fucking easy if you do it properly otherwise get used to being the minnows of the NRL
The game and the Administration have become shit, many many are disillusioned with the whole thing, many believe that the game is dying a slow death.
This opens up other opportunities, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Downhill Skier

Waterboy
Reaction score
It is our fault we can not recruit top quality players. The only way we are going to be able to recruit any stars in the near future is by paying ridiculous overs which would put us back in salary cap dire straights. I actually was excited when I heard Gould's name linked with us (I feel dirty saying that ) but I thought it might give us someone who could attract potential signings to the club.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It is our fault we can not recruit top quality players. The only way we are going to be able to recruit any stars in the near future is by paying ridiculous overs which would put us back in salary cap dire straights. I actually was excited when I heard Gould's name linked with us (I feel dirty saying that ) but I thought it might give us someone who could attract potential signings to the club.
What we'll need to do (I think) is pay overs to ONE player. This hopefully will then lure other good players to the club.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is that expect the cap and quality of side to be bad for longer than the admin stated when got in.
There is 2 reasons why the top sides are able to stay at the top and the bottom sides struggle and even trying to do a old fashion rebuild using junior players will be a struggle .
The only way to rebuild a roster is to cheat the cap one or two years even if you don't win jack to get a basis of a good side .

Now the reasons why
Top 30 squad - just with injuries all teams will use 23-25 players during a season. For teams that season is over they can't bring in juniors who are unexpectedly killing it during the season to have a look at them to place them in top tier . Is it no coincidence that year 2 of this top 30 system has resulted in possibly the biggest gap in quality squads we have witnessed in many many years. The dogs for instance have not much else to trail in top grade as most of the players eligible in Reggie's were proven plodders earlier in the season and squad selection will just go in circles

Now with the salary cap , by forcing a minimum spend they all have to do I think 95% it Means that this squad even with players let go and quality will always be near the cap and will never allow for a proper rebuild as all plodders and junior players will be paid overs to be within cap limit or forces ridiculous money for the top players in the side to meet the cap

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Roosters, Storm, Souths just cheat the smart way....and In my opinion there's nothing wrong with that.
It's called loop holes in the system. What is part of the cap and what is not part of the cap has a lot of grey areas, and if done properly is bullet proof.

We are kidding ourselves if we think we haven't been given a fair go. We just haven't had smart people at the club for a very long time!
I've been a supporter of this new board since they got voted in, but my patience is wearing thin!
Some people in high positions at the club need to get with the program.
The question our current admin should ask themselves is: WHAT CAN WE OFFER A PLAYER TO MAKE HIM COME TO CANTERBURY, HOW CAN WE MAKE OUR OFFER UNIQUE AND MORE ATTRACTIVE TO OTHER CLUBS?

And I'm not just talking about the flat out contract value. Obviously clubs like Roosters, Storm and Souths are doing something right.

What are we offering players these days?
Apart from their contract value, we need to treat players with royalty.
Where are we providing their accomodation at? What surburb?
Are we providing a fulltime nanny for their kids if they have kids?
Are we buying them their groceries and writing the bill off towards the Leagues club bistro?
Are we looking after their parents & Wives? If so, in what ways?
What financial investment opportunites are we providing them to maximise their earnings and set them up in their retirement?(This is definately not part of the cap, it's just valuable information provided to the players, you can't measure the monetary value of information) but you need smart people at the club who are connected to power brokers, developers and so forth?
Even if it means that every time a player wants to take a dump there is someone hired by the club to wipe their arse.... I really mean we have to treat the players like royalty. It's a business now!
You want the best, you have to treat them the best!

We are so far behind the 8 ball, the whole club needs to wake up and smell the coffee!
These days the NRL isn't about how well you compete on the field, it's about how well you compete off the field to get the best players in order to dominate on the field!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Roosters, Storm, Souths just cheat the smart way....and In my opinion there's nothing wrong with that.
It's called loop holes in the system. What is part of the cap and what is not part of the cap has a lot of grey areas, and if done properly is bullet proof.

We are kidding ourselves if we think we haven't been given a fair go. We just haven't had smart people at the club for a very long time!
I've been a supporter of this new board since they got voted in, but my patience is wearing thin!
The question our current admin should ask themselves is: WHAT CAN WE OFFER A PLAYER TO MAKE HIM COME TO CANTERBURY, HOW CAN WE MAKE OUR OFFER UNIQUE AND MORE ATTRACTIVE TO OTHER CLUBS?

And I'm not just talking about the flat out contract value. Obviously clubs like Roosters, Storm and Souths are doing something right.

Are we buying them their groceries and writing the bill off towards the Leagues club bistro?
What financial investment opportunites are we providing them to maximise their earnings and set them up in their retirement?(This is definately not part of the cap, it's just valuable information provided to the players, you can't measure the monetary value of information) but you need smart people at the club who are connected to power brokers, developers and so forth?
Even if it means that every time a player wants to take a dump there is someone hired by the club to wipe their arse.... I really mean we have to treat the players like royalty. It's a business now!

We are so far behind the 8 ball, the whole club needs to wake up and smell the coffee!
These days the NRL isn't about how well you compete on the field, it's about how well you compete off the field to get the best players in order to dominate on the field!
All we need is a gun tax consultant who supports the doggies... surely there is someone out there

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if the problem has been recruitment and gung-ho management, what does last week's sackings of Patmore, Farrar, Holmes and McDonnell from the performance/management unit indicate?
Well, Phil Gould quit the Panthers at the same time and as much as he's loathed as he is loved, he's probably the right man to bring in to steer the football committee to safer ground than we're treading at the moment.
McDonnell was out Recruitment Manager. Enough said. But at least he tried to identify talent. The only talent Cleal brought in were the daily truckload of pies he'd consume straight off the truck.
Gould has made mistakes. He sacked Griffin for no good reason. But he has a football BRAIN. And that, above all else, is what our club needs.
And he's certainly played more games than the 5 McDonnell turned out for.
Plus, he's one of us.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you need to talk to the players who are currently studying at University and/or undergoing other tertiary education programs. In addition, currently we run internal and external education programs for all players in areas such as Leadership Development, Educational Engagement, Vocational Awareness, Career Resilience, No Work, No Study, No Play, Career Transition, Mental Health Support and Retired Players Support. Not in any way suggesting that we couldn't be doing more but it takes time to understand each player's aspirations and then build that into their time with us and post playing. It was an area that was largely ignored under the previous administration, but not anymore.

We also have the financial backing one of the most profitable leagues clubs in the country, meaning rock solid job security for players and their families, a full kit of sponsors, stable management, world class training and recovery facilities together with top shelf support staff. We will have reasonable cap space available next year and more than decent cap space in 2021. That has cost us last year and again this year but that price simply had to be paid. That cloud has fully cleared and we have the demonstrable capacity to develop the players that we have and recruit whoever we want.

The other things you suggest are never going to be publicised, we may well be doing all of them and plenty more, but we will not ever hear about it.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

The problem is those clubs already provide that and you're a chance of lifting the trophy when you sign with them.
Our problem is elite players don't want to be involved in a rebuild and knowing they are flushing the prime years of their career down the toilet being out of finals contention.
I can't see us landing a big fish for a few seasons to be honest but once you get that big fish it is easier to get more.
The board have a real challenge on their hands!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think you need to talk to the players who are currently studying at University and/or undergoing other tertiary education programs. In addition, currently we run internal and external education programs for all players in areas such as Leadership Development, Educational Engagement, Vocational Awareness, Career Resilience, No Work, No Study, No Play, Career Transition, Mental Health Support and Retired Players Support. Not in any way suggesting that we couldn't be doing more but it takes time to understand each player's aspirations and then build that into their time with us and post playing. It was an area that was largely ignored under the previous administration, but not anymore.

We also have the financial backing one of the most profitable leagues clubs in the country, meaning rock solid job security for players and their families, a full kit of sponsors, stable management, world class training and recovery facilities together with top shelf support staff. We will have reasonable cap space available next year and more than decent cap space in 2021. That has cost us last year and again this year but that price simply had to be paid. That cloud has fully cleared and we have the demonstrable capacity to develop the players that we have and recruit whoever we want.
All this stuff you are mentioning, I get it, I know we are doing this. Everything you are saying has been told to me from a director at the club in a long chat. So I'm guessing you have been told the same things as I have been told. And yes it's good to see what we are doing....BUT, this is the norm these days as a professional Australian Sporting organisition...I'm talking about having the EDGE on other clubs.

The other things you suggest are never going to be publicised, we may well be doing all of them and plenty more, but we will not ever hear about it.
Don't worry about these things never being publicised, the proof is in the pudding on the field and who we are recruiting...there is no reason we shouldn't be recruiting the Cronks of the NRL, this my friend is how you know the extra's that we provide are simply not good enough! Our club is very rich, we should be gettng the BEST of the BEST! Cap or no cap...the loop holes are there, they need to utilised.

Last edited: