Let me know when RL isn’t biased

Status
Not open for further replies.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
I pretty much watch every game of footy every week since Foxtel came to our shores.
We don't cop it that bad. We definitely don't get rub of the green but I've come to the conclusion that the better sides do, cause, well they're better. A sense of you create your own luck.
We're terrible but put in a good effort. Though, we never looked like winning today we still had a fair crack considering our roster.
I don't agree with you on this. There has been 2 games this year where it is clear we did not get quite a few clear penalties go our way. This and the broncs. Every other game I have copped but these 2 are really biased

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
geeZ Theres an error here and there but 95% of the time they get it right.

Stop whinging and blaming the refs because we are shit (apart from Jackson,Holland and Woods).

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. Everybody involved has their agendas. The NRL appear to support certain teams (Souths in the GF win).
The TV channels seem to support the Broncos. Certain referees appear to have a fondness for certain teams.
The game is sponsored by betting agencies. This is more than a conspiracy theory.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the only way the NRL will ever start considering their gambling sponsorship to be a bad idea is when enough fans walk away from the game and channel 9 and pay TV start asking questions of why they're spending on broadcasting rights. If the ratings start going to shit they will reconsider the value when the next sponsorship deal comes around and maybe when the NRL admin see money being pulled out of other sponsorship deals they'll act. Until this all happens I'm afraid we'll either have to cop the bullshit that referees dish out or walk away. The sad thing is that by the time the NRL admin group realise they've screwed the pooch by turning fans off the game they might have it in a position where it can't recover from. It only takes so much for people to decide it's not worth the emotional investment. The Origin competition is dead to me now since it appeared pretty blatantly biased for a long period. I watched pretty much every origin game from the time I was old enough to appreciate it till 2 years ago. I haven't watched it since and wont watch it again.

I don't know if the NRL consider all the fans to be morons of the highest order, but it would seem to me like they do. What point is there in banning coaches and players from speaking out about bad decisions unless they thinik that move will stop fans from picking up on things.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed. Everybody involved has their agendas. The NRL appear to support certain teams (Souths in the GF win).
The TV channels seem to support the Broncos. Certain referees appear to have a fondness for certain teams.
The game is sponsored by betting agencies. This is more than a conspiracy theory.
What you are implying is literally impossible to accomplish without major leaks.
You know hard it is to pull of a conspiracy?

reporters will have the scoop before the conspiracy huddle is finished.
The tv love for the broncos is different though, thats market forces.
but Conspiracies to make Souths champs is rubbish.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There were multiple occasions when the Sharks used decoy runners to obstruct our defense as well and it wasn't pulled up. I've made a liar of myself already by having watched again these last two weeks after saying I was done. But it's getting harder to switch on and watch the team get rorted when you know the refs wont face any repercussions for the shit decisions they make.

I've said a thousand times already that a gambling sponsor that pays the NRL a percentage of gambling profits is a huge conflict of interest. I'm surprised it's legal.
Also watch Maloney play, and see how many times he gets the ball behind a decoy then runs out, draws a defender and passes wide. Allowed 100% of the time.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
What you are implying is literally impossible to accomplish without major leaks.
You know hard it is to pull of a conspiracy?

reporters will have the scoop before the conspiracy huddle is finished.
The tv love for the broncos is different though, thats market forces.
but Conspiracies to make Souths champs is rubbish.
I don't a conspiracy is occurring, but there is an unconscious bias toward the glamour sides. You only have to watch games the Dogs are not playing in, and you'll see the same sides that beat us with a glut of 50/50 calls get the same calls against other not-so glamour sides. The number of times sides like the Broncos and Bunnies receive amazing penalties that win the game in the last few minutes is hard to ignore.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the only way the NRL will ever start considering their gambling sponsorship to be a bad idea is when enough fans walk away from the game and channel 9 and pay TV start asking questions of why they're spending on broadcasting rights. If the ratings start going to shit they will reconsider the value when the next sponsorship deal comes around and maybe when the NRL admin see money being pulled out of other sponsorship deals they'll act. Until this all happens I'm afraid we'll either have to cop the bullshit that referees dish out or walk away. The sad thing is that by the time the NRL admin group realise they've screwed the pooch by turning fans off the game they might have it in a position where it can't recover from. It only takes so much for people to decide it's not worth the emotional investment. The Origin competition is dead to me now since it appeared pretty blatantly biased for a long period. I watched pretty much every origin game from the time I was old enough to appreciate it till 2 years ago. I haven't watched it since and wont watch it again.

I don't know if the NRL consider all the fans to be morons of the highest order, but it would seem to me like they do. What point is there in banning coaches and players from speaking out about bad decisions unless they thinik that move will stop fans from picking up on things.
no way should they punt(pun) the gamble!

I clean up on it, its the only reason I bother watxhing games that dont involve souths and the dogs (my teams).

RL isnt exciting without it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
no way should they punt(pun) the gamble!

I clean up on it, its the only reason I bother watxhing games that dont involve souths and the dogs (my teams).

RL isnt exciting without it.
I'm not proposing that gambling on the game get banned. But the sponsorship deal had a provision that the nrl makes more money when their sponsor profits from taking a larger amount of money off gamblers and for the duration of the sponsorship the refereeing has looked biased at best, while many think its more than biased. I for one would not be surprised if a disgruntled person at some stage reports that games are being rigged to steal from punters. You are welcome to your opinions. I've given mine.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO RL is a dead man walking, desperate people do desperate things like grabbing at straws in a desperate attempt to survive.
In Australia we have 4 significant football codes, probably the only Country in the world to have 4 codes. the 2 weakest codes are the 2 most prominent international codes RU, and soccer. It has been said that if 1 code was to go the way of the dodo it can only be RL.
The corruption, the constant demand for rule changes, followed by complaints about rule changes, the obsession with hyping up the game only makes it look sick.
Perhaps the writing is on the wall, I'll continue to follow the Bulldogs its till death us do part for me , but for the NRL I've only contempt

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not proposing that gambling on the game get banned. But the sponsorship deal had a provision that the nrl makes more money when their sponsor profits from taking a larger amount of money off gamblers and for the duration of the sponsorship the refereeing has looked biased at best, while many think its more than biased. I for one would not be surprised if a disgruntled person at some stage reports that games are being rigged to steal from punters. You are welcome to your opinions. I've given mine.
Mate, that is not a theory it is just plain rubbish. What you are talking about is the legislated arrangements that all organisations that arrange events such as motor sports, water sports, racing, football in all its forms, cricket, basketball, NFL, hockey, bocce and every other activity receive a percentage of the turnover as part of the agreement to allow the betting agencies to set a market for it. In principle it is exactly the same as promoters paying for cops to attend concerts and use drug sniffer dogs on the patrons. they don't have a choice if they want to run the festival and the betting agencies don't have a choice if they want to run a market and rightly so. In our case the NRL has to pay to run the competition. Why should Ladbrokes or anyone else get a free ride.

I'll give you a tip for free. The one thing the mug punter won't bet on is a rigged event. So if the NRL were to influence the outcomes by deliberately doing something the punter wouldn't bet and the NRL would lose income. Still think they are engineering the results........Use the tinfoil to keep last nights dinner fresh. It's a better investment.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The games may, or may not be "rigged". But the results of the past, and the efforts of some officials seem to support that theory.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate, that is not a theory it is just plain rubbish. What you are talking about is the legislated arrangements that all organisations that arrange events such as motor sports, water sports, racing, football in all its forms, cricket, basketball, NFL, hockey, bocce and every other activity receive a percentage of the turnover as part of the agreement to allow the betting agencies to set a market for it. In principle it is exactly the same as promoters paying for cops to attend concerts and use drug sniffer dogs on the patrons. they don't have a choice if they want to run the festival and the betting agencies don't have a choice if they want to run a market and rightly so. In our case the NRL has to pay to run the competition. Why should Ladbrokes or anyone else get a free ride.

I'll give you a tip for free. The one thing the mug punter won't bet on is a rigged event. So if the NRL were to influence the outcomes by deliberately doing something the punter wouldn't bet and the NRL would lose income. Still think they are engineering the results........Use the tinfoil to keep last nights dinner fresh. It's a better investment.
Even if punters think games are rigged they'll take their chances to bet because it enhances their excitement about the game. Gambling addiction doesn't usually make these addicts rich, as a rule it usually leaves them in financial trouble. So your logic that punters won't bet on a rigged product doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I can't find the article about it anymore, but the sponsorship deal composed a flat amount paid and a percentage of the profit made by the sponsor. So to me that signals a conflict of interests right away. I compare this to the fact that the NRL won't allow players to bet on gamesbecause it leaves the player in a position where they may be tempted to fix games. So It's ok for the NRL to ban players from the game for operating in a way that promotes a conflict of interest, but they themselves happily accepted a sponsorship deal that promotes a conflict of interest.

I don't care if you think I'm nuts because I have this opinion. I may be wrong, but having watched league all my life, I've never seen it look like the referees influenced games so much as it has since this sponsorship deal came into place. The fact that the NRL has come down so harshly on coaches and players for criticism of the refereeing standards supports my opinion and I'm not alone in having this opinion.

As I said to Nasheed, you are welcome to think what you want about the state of the game as am I.

DroidDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Although betting/sponsorship could be an issue, i'm more leaning to the NRL trying to manufacture a product. They're constantly trying to change things. Speed up play of the ball, correct play of the ball, less interchange to bring in fatigue, multiple obstruction rules, shot clock etc. Most rules can be a tool for the refs to manipulate a game, if his decision is questionable, "some" of the calls could come down to 50/50's and it's inconsistent towards each team, therefore one team didn't get the rub of the green and lose. Towards the end of the season we will have 8 teams who are super exiting to watch or have a sob story about how they haven't won a premiership for a long time or ever. TV ratings/crowds and media stories will lift because of the excitement and so on.

At the end of the day it's highly likely all these changes come down to trying to lift the game to attract more crowds etc. It indicates things are not looking to good. What they should do is look at what made the NRL a great game to watch in the first place and evolve from there. The game was based on aggression, strength, one on one battles, emotion and now its determined by the NRL based on teams who have x factor and are exiting to watch. Teams without x factor will inherently be at the bottom for the table. Except Parra, they just SHIT!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
RL is one of the greatest games to bet on now as it is so structured.

Idid the maths today and I;m 2483 dollars up this season. I never bet more than 20 a week (except once earlier in the season).

Just keep rolling it up every weekend, coaches very predictable.

Tigers and Newcastle have given me the most trouble

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Even if punters think games are rigged they'll take their chances to bet because it enhances their excitement about the game. Gambling addiction doesn't usually make these addicts rich, as a rule it usually leaves them in financial trouble. So your logic that punters won't bet on a rigged product doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I can't find the article about it anymore, but the sponsorship deal composed a flat amount paid and a percentage of the profit made by the sponsor. So to me that signals a conflict of interests right away. I compare this to the fact that the NRL won't allow players to bet on gamesbecause it leaves the player in a position where they may be tempted to fix games. So It's ok for the NRL to ban players from the game for operating in a way that promotes a conflict of interest, but they themselves happily accepted a sponsorship deal that promotes a conflict of interest.

I don't care if you think I'm nuts because I have this opinion. I may be wrong, but having watched league all my life, I've never seen it look like the referees influenced games so much as it has since this sponsorship deal came into place. The fact that the NRL has come down so harshly on coaches and players for criticism of the refereeing standards supports my opinion and I'm not alone in having this opinion.

As I said to Nasheed, you are welcome to think what you want about the state of the game as am I.
What you haven't seen is the level of scrutiny of every ruling/non ruling by a referee in a game of footy that we have now. The funniest thing I have read here recently was someone saying we should follow the ESL because their referees are so much better. God help us. they are the worst referees of league in the world by the length of the straight. They just ignore blatant breaches and knock ons because they either don't see it or can't be bothered to stop play. If you think our refereeing and the carry on we get here on the Kennel is bad now just close your eyes and imagine 16 Ashely Kleins refereeing and don't forget he was the best one they had. Have we all forgotten the howlers during the WC last year by the pommy refs? I'm old enough to remember the furore of the ref who got paid to rig the Dragons GF win back in late 50's early 60's (can't be bothered to look it up). If that happened today the ref would get 10 years. This bloke got 10 grand....

BTW I agree with you that you are entitled to your opinion, right, wrong or otherwise. As are we all.

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The NRL has been biased for years! The Suttons must be corrupt or on the take!

Status
Not open for further replies.