Leniu - What happened?

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry guys - my guy was adamant we were all but done but unfortunately Roosters came in late with an offer we couldn’t/Gus didn’t want to match

Negotiations change can change quickly and unfortunately it turned out bad for us in this instance

Then the breaks
I appreciate your posts, your insight, and your mail mate. Nothing is ever 100% locked, we know that. Don’t stop though buddy, it’s good oil!

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the agent wanted to make sure his player got a 2 year deal, probably for less money too lets face it, versus a 3 year deal. Just Rorters things...

Hooper:

ROOSTERS TRUMP BULLDOGS’ BID FOR LATEST PANTHER

The Roosters have won the race for the signature of gun Penrith forward Spencer Leniu but there was an 11th hour play from the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs last weekend.

The Bulldogs have long been keeping an eye on Leniu’s contract situation and decided to make a late bid to try and convince the front row forward to come to Belmore next year.

We’ve heard the Bulldogs were even prepared to offer Leniu a three-year contract – the Roosters deal will only be two seasons - the only issue was they were unable to get in contact with Leniu’s agent and so began speaking to the player directly.

Once player agent Joe Nakat got wind of what was going on he quickly moved to ensure the Roosters remained in the box seat to land Leniu’s signature.

Leniu, 22, has been held in high regard by good judges for a number of years now and will get the opportunity to play bigger minutes at the Roosters.

Last edited:

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So the agent wanted to make sure his player got a 2 year deal, probably for less money too lets face it, versus a 3 year deal. Just Rorters things...

Hooper:

ROOSTERS TRUMP BULLDOGS’ BID FOR LATEST PANTHER

The Roosters have won the race for the signature of gun Penrith forward Spencer Leniu but there was an 11th hour play from the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs last weekend.

The Bulldogs have long been keeping an eye on Leniu’s contract situation and decided to make a late bid to try and convince the front row forward to come to Belmore next year.

We’ve heard the Bulldogs were even prepared to offer Leniu a three-year contract – the Roosters deal will only be two seasons - the only issue was they were unable to get in contact with Leniu’s agent and so began speaking to the player directly.

Once player agent Joe Nakat got wind of what was going on he quickly moved to ensure the Roosters remained in the box seat to land Leniu’s signature.

Leniu, 22, has been held in high regard by good judges for a number of years now and will get the opportunity to play bigger minutes at the Roosters.
Very strange knocking back a 3 year deal for only 2, maybe agents get a brown paper bag these days instead of the players, no rule against that.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yup Gus and co are that incompetent.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Very strange knocking back a 3 year deal for only 2, maybe agents get a brown paper bag these days instead of the players, no rule against that.
Yep, that’s the first thing I thought when reading this, what’s in it for his agent? Maybe he just played a round of golf with Nick.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ain’t no way anyone is believing that. Its just the media protecting the Roosters from salary cap questions.

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
According to Mason he was set to sign with us but Roosters come in at the last minute

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
By the looks of it, I think his manager wanted him to be there. If it was up to Spencer himself, he would be at the dogs. It seems like he doesn't want to be at the chooks next year. (Just my opinion by the way).

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Penrith are a prime example of why third parties need to come under scrutiny.. a few years of success and they have shed a ridiculous amount of players, while Storm and Roosters are always able to roll out elite squads year after year.. I know it's a running joke but seriously that Roosters squad on paper makes a mockery of the cap in general. Penrith still have a solid team but I'm sure there's a handful of players they'd of kept if they were the Roosters.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good point, never thought of that. Often people think the players are getting the brown paper bags at the Roosters, it could very well be a case of them "building relationships with managers" (brown paper bags)

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Based on yesterdays game I’m not devastated we didn’t get him. Especially at 600kish