News Legend Still Not Convinced Bulldogs Star is a 5/8th

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've never seen a more uninvolved marquee playmaker in my life. Can you imagine if Darren Lockyer just hung out on one side of the field and left the creativity to Shane Perry ? What kind of playmaker only touches the ball on the 5th tackle?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I've never seen a more uninvolved marquee playmaker in my life. Can you imagine if Darren Lockyer just hung out on one side of the field and left the creativity to Shane Perry ? What kind of playmaker only touches the ball on the 5th tackle?
He looks like a low IQ and very reserved footballer (maybe his personality combined with a loser/losing mentality we have as a team/club). I don't think Burton has it in him anymore. There are so many small things he could do differently that don't seem to hard from the outside to change/fix but he's just unable to do so for whatever reason.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What's Ciraldo doing about it?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Being fed opportunities in one of the greatest sides of the modern era should not be the reference point for where he should play at the dogs.
Critta's going to struggle in the centres here. Burton would be on another level of struggle.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well right now we have Crichton at left centre and who's getting him the ball? It sure as shit isn't Burton and that's the issue. Hutcho showed us the way with the Crichton try. He's a very average player but even he could do something as simple as getting Kikau in a 1v1 opportunity and that's just something Burton ATM seem incapable of doing.

I think we need to focus less on Burton and more on the team. Too many of the decisions being made now seem to be about getting the best out of Burton rather than the getting the best out of the playing group and Burton imo isn't good enough to receive that sort of treatment.
Id hate to bring negativity but what Burton is doing or expected to do with the set plays, bloody Flanagan jnr would do/is doing.

We need him to just keep his role simple for now and it'll improve. His role needs to be simple but yet expressive, do the main things right, some smart kicks, and a couple flashy plays and he'd be right.

If errors occur with Burton at five eighth creating or hole punching or creating a whole for someone that's ok, we need him being adventurous, competitive.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Being fed opportunities in one of the greatest sides of the modern era should not be the reference point for where he should play at the dogs.
Anyone that has watched Matt Burton play his entire career & thinks that he is a better 6 than centre is a terrible judge.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone that has watched Matt Burton play his entire career & thinks that he is a better 6 than centre is a terrible judge.
To my point, seeing him play centre in elite sides versus 6 in a bulldogs side isn't an even comparison. You may be right I just think we may be overestimating the impact he'd make at centre.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t agree with Greg Alexander much and I’ll admit to being super against Burton at Centre previously (broadly due to a lack of options the last few years) but he’s actually spot on… he doesn’t talk, doesn’t command the ball and doesn’t get his best weapons in attack involved enough, that’s 3 very important failures. He’s a quality player, but we can’t live with 1 good game every 3 or 4 weeks.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been saying give Burto till round 6, but re-watching the try set up by Hutch/Kik’s onto Crichton, Burton had no idea what the play was, had his arms out wanting the ball.

I sometimes think he has the skills to be a good 6, not sure whether he has the smarts .. Hutch may not have all his skills, but he still has some and he’s smarter.

My question is, if it’s still not working for him, what’s wrong with moving him to centre, I believe we’re a stronger team with him at centre anyway?

I’d really like to see Hutch/Salmon at 6 … Sexton/Taaffe at 7 with Curran covering in defence ..

Burton left centre with JAC & Kiks’ .. Crichton right centre with Kiraz and Presto. we have a premiership centre pairing.

And I believe Tracey will do a very solid job for us at FB.

To me that makes us a stronger team.

Unfortunately we’re still going to struggle though, because up front in the engine room we have a V6 racing against V8’s ..

Sent from my iPad using The Kennel mobile app

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well right now we have Crichton at left centre and who's getting him the ball? It sure as shit isn't Burton and that's the issue. Hutcho showed us the way with the Crichton try. He's a very average player but even he could do something as simple as getting Kikau in a 1v1 opportunity and that's just something Burton ATM seem incapable of doing.

I think we need to focus less on Burton and more on the team. Too many of the decisions being made now seem to be about getting the best out of Burton rather than the getting the best out of the playing group and Burton imo isn't good enough to receive that sort of treatment.
Great post... Especially the part about forgetting burton and worry about the team. I believe with the right selections we can have a decent team. Look how we played under potter.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s been noted by a few astute members that because this article was written by thekennels favourite journalist there is a distinct lack of abuse by the regulars in these type of threads.
Food for thought

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’ve been saying give Burto till round 6, but re-watching the try set up by Hutch/Kik’s onto Crichton, Burton had no idea what the play was, had his arms out wanting the ball.

I sometimes think he has the skills to be a good 6, not sure whether he has the smarts .. Hutch may not have all his skills, but he still has some and he’s smarter.

My question is, if it’s still not working for him, what’s wrong with moving him to centre, I believe we’re a stronger team with him at centre anyway?

I’d really like to see Hutch/Salmon at 6 … Sexton/Taaffe at 7 with Curran covering in defence ..

Burton left centre with JAC & Kiks’ .. Crichton right centre with Kiraz and Presto. we have a premiership centre pairing.

And I believe Tracey will do a very solid job for us at FB.

To me that makes us a stronger team.

Unfortunately we’re still going to struggle though, because up front in the engine room we have a V6 racing against V8’s ..

Sent from my iPad using The Kennel mobile app
I don't know about the try part you mentioned with his hands in the air, maybe you're overlooking into that? He ran a support/decoy line. We need more of those from players.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our problem starts with C and ends and iraldo
Heard he is a hard task master, is he too hard and needs to make good mates with his players and bring them along as people?
Its a tricky process to evolve a team into champions, you gotta coax them along not demand.
Its not all him, its a comp with other teams, the other teams will sabotage if it helps them.
We all want Canterbury to rise like a Phoenix from the ashes and they should.