News Legend Still Not Convinced Bulldogs Star is a 5/8th

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Written by Darcie McDonald

Legendary playmaker Greg Alexander has admitted he’s “always had doubts” over whether Bulldogs star Matt Burton is best suited to five-eighth.
Burton has just kicked off his third season with the Bulldogs and a disappointing team performance in Round 1 has sparked a conversation around how the 23-year-old is best used.The Dubbo product found a home in the centres at the Panthers. He won a premiership in that position and earned a spot in the Dally M Team of the Year too.

But his desire to play five-eighth led him to the Bulldogs.All of his 48 games for the club have been in the halves — 40 at five-eighth and eight at halfback — but he’s represented New South Wales twice at centre and has played once for the Kangaroos there too.Matty Johns said on Sunday night that if he were coach Cameron Ciraldo he’d “be putting Burton to left centre” to “really stimulate his running game and really get him going because he is an incredible runner.”

Alexander, who played over 200 games in the halves, agrees with Johns and while dissecting Round 1 on the Fox League Podcast he said that Burton’s attributes fit the mould of a centre perfectly.When Matt was centre at Penrith he was one of the best centres in the game and I’ve always had my doubts about him being as effective in the six jersey,” he said.“That’s not just from looking at him on the weekend against the Eels it’s sampling his footy over the last couple of years.“I’m still not convinced (that he’s a better five-eighth than centre). I don’t know if he talks enough and commands the ball enough to be a six or a genuine half that’s always in the game "I think ‘Burto’ is a great hole-runner, he’s big tall and fast. I think centre suits him down to the ground.

“Maybe him and Stephen Crichton on either side and someone else in the six jersey. Let’s throw Toby Sexton in at seven and Drew Hutchison at six and see what they can do with ‘Burto’ in the centres.” The Bulldogs will have to reshuffle their backline for Round 2 after star winger Josh Addo-Carr suffered a shoulder injury. However the chances of Burton being involved in that reshuffle are slim to none — especially given he’s publicly declared he wants to continue playing five-eighth.

The Bulldogs have made some major recruitment moves over the last few years by luring Penrith premiership-winners in Burton, Crichton and Viliame Kikau to Belmore as well as Addo-Carr and elite hooker Reed Mahoney. But the team is yet to live up to expectations. Alexander believes “there won’t be many changes” after just one game but can’t see Ciraldo waiting too long before pulling the trigger. “If they don’t click soon, there’s not that much of a honeymoon for the players because they’ve got options, they’ve got players that can play in a number of positions... I don’t think he’ll hang on for too long,” he said.

24255003_10155933906571085_7934563606798596547_o.jpg

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think ‘Burto’ is a great hole-runner, he’s big tall and fast. I think centre suits him down to the ground.
That's literally his game and I've said as much since we've signed him. The only people in the NRL world that seem interested in keeping Burton @ 5/8 right now are Ciraldo, Gus and some of our fans.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's literally his game and I've said as much since we've signed him. The only people in the NRL world that seem interested in keeping Burton @ 5/8 right now are Ciraldo, Gus and some of our fans.
At penrith he was was getting the ball at centre from world class halves mate and on the back of good go forward.

If he plays centre for us then who gets him that ball ?

And where does the go forward come from ?

He probably is a better centre than 5/8th but I still think his best position for us is in the 6.

He just needs to get more involved. If we move him to centre I reckon he will get even less involved.

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not sold on burton at 5/8 tbh! If all you have is bombs on the 5th you aint a 5/8 bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He is no superstar 5/8 that's for sure but he is not a complete waste of space in that position the way you and some others hammer him. Most importantly, he is currently our best option there. Please don't suggest Hutch and Sexton is our halves answer because it's not.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He literally won Dally M Centre of the Year, a GF at Centre & was arguably the MOTM for NSW when he played Centre.

CC nah, he's a 6 or 7.

DFLWatto

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He has a good running game and if he put all his effort into just focusing on that, he COULD be a good 6, i just don't understand why he never improves, it absolutely baffles me watching him week in and out not improve at all.. I'd love to know what goes through his head after a game.
Does he truly think he made a contribution to the game?
Idk man, I just want to see him IMPROVE, I'm not expecting him to go out and be the best player of the round, just fucking improve on your mistakes every game.. ugh its tiring..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
At penrith he was was getting the ball at centre from world class halves mate and on the back of good go forward.

If he plays centre for us then who gets him that ball ?

And where does the go forward come from ?

He probably is a better centre than 5/8th but I still think his best position for us is in the 6.

He just needs to get more involved. If we move him to centre I reckon he will get even less involved.
Well right now we have Crichton at left centre and who's getting him the ball? It sure as shit isn't Burton and that's the issue. Hutcho showed us the way with the Crichton try. He's a very average player but even he could do something as simple as getting Kikau in a 1v1 opportunity and that's just something Burton ATM seem incapable of doing.

I think we need to focus less on Burton and more on the team. Too many of the decisions being made now seem to be about getting the best out of Burton rather than the getting the best out of the playing group and Burton imo isn't good enough to receive that sort of treatment.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We need to move him on if he's not going to play five-eighth imo.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Ciraldo is a first grade Coach...... i think the assistant took a lot of credit at the Panthers for things he never did, abit like those workmates that get promoted either by dumb luck, lying or just to get them out of there and out of the way

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He has a good running game and if he put all his effort into just focusing on that, he COULD be a good 6, i just don't understand why he never improves, it absolutely baffles me watching him week in and out not improve at all.. I'd love to know what goes through his head after a game.
Does he truly think he made a contribution to the game?
Idk man, I just want to see him IMPROVE, I'm not expecting him to go out and be the best player of the round, just fucking improve on your mistakes every game.. ugh its tiring..
The way the game is played now, I mean the way most teams inc Dogs, it's one of the easier positions to just do a job at five eighth.

The skillful or team players can excel there but we just need a simple five eighth, some cheeky plays now and then, but give early ball and gets the ball when they want it (calls for it).

DFLWatto

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The way the game is played now, I mean the way most teams inc Dogs, it's one of the easier positions to just do a job at five eighth.

The skillful or team players can excel there but we just need a simple five eighth, some cheeky plays now and then, but give early ball and gets the ball when they want it (calls for it).
Yea exactly, idk if he is just over complicating it for himself and spends too much time standing around thinking about what to do next.
He just needs to realise all he has to go is get involved and things will happen.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
FFS every player and nearly every team is doing a part in the sweep, it's our main focus in attack too, maybe get him out of it and run his "magic plays" or something. This won't happen, just saying