Opinion King & Knight are an upgrade on TPJ & Thompson

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I get your point on fitness given the differing game styles, but I’m not sure you understand the game of Rugby Union in detail, those forwards don’t get subbed after 20-30 mins like a lot of props do in the NRL modern era, their are also times they are attacking or defending for 12+ phases straight through the forwards - that takes an amazing amount of effort…. Are you saying NRL teams can’t find players like Leo Thompson or his twin Tyrone Thompson somewhere in the world to successfully transition? (in Leo’s case, is a proven success having played for the Kiwis already?)

I’d also say confidently that most rugby Union forwards would have better stamina than Franklin Pele so it’s not exactly a massive gamble regarding fitness in my opinion….

I stand by the notion if there’s athletes playing a sport similar to Rugby League and the positional role (in the forwards) is similar to rugby league (i.e. straight hit ups and dominant tackles) why is that not a plausible option for us to seriously look into??
Union can come to a stop before the fly half gets the ball out compared to our six agains etc they may struggle with the constant running. My main problem is their acceleration is terrible. Our props are very mobile these days laterally for defence and speed off the mark to take advantage of a strong run/play the ball. Would require a huge off season or two to change their body type.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm seriously ok with our forward pack, they can do a job, hoping the bench can work hard, not overplay their chances. Just need them to play smart and hard.

I have a clown comment but maybe add a little bad boy scruffy image intimidation factor to our props. Doesn't mean play dirty or cheap shots, it's NRL 2024, game's too quick for nonsense (probably in finals you can get away with crap). Some tatts, grow a beard, bandage the forehead when playing, shave the head.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get your point on fitness given the differing game styles, but I’m not sure you understand the game of Rugby Union in detail, those forwards don’t get subbed after 20-30 mins like a lot of props do in the NRL modern era, their are also times they are attacking or defending for 12+ phases straight through the forwards - that takes an amazing amount of effort…. Are you saying NRL teams can’t find players like Leo Thompson or his twin Tyrone Thompson somewhere in the world to successfully transition? (in Leo’s case, is a proven success having played for the Kiwis already?)

I’d also say confidently that most rugby Union forwards would have better stamina than Franklin Pele so it’s not exactly a massive gamble regarding fitness in my opinion….

I stand by the notion if there’s athletes playing a sport similar to Rugby League and the positional role (in the forwards) is similar to rugby league (i.e. straight hit ups and dominant tackles) why is that not a plausible option for us to seriously look into??
There's definitely players that can transition between both codes, not as often the Union props/hooker, rarely, maybe from juniors as they need time to adapt, years.

A lot of juniours play both codes, the skills and awareness are similar. But the way league is, it almost molds the ultimate athletic competitive footballer. Unless, like the juniors how union players playing league the other day of the weekend, it'll take ages for them to adapt back to the rigours of league, it's doable, maybe some guys can adapt instantaneous but for the player/position type you're asking about, a professional union forward, it'll be a long road to being NRL starting prop ready. Wont be ready for Round 1 NRL.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most of us will agree that our front row is currently our weakest link in our current squad.

But there is one big factor in our favour for the performance of our Current Front Rowers for this season that we all forgot about - including me.

Max King Only Contracted For Season 2024
Liam Knight Only Contracted For Season 2024
Samuel Hughes Only Contracted For Season 2024
Chris Patolo Only Contracted For Season 2024
Ryan Sutton Contracted For Season 2024 & 2025

4 out of the 5 are OFF Contract meaning that they need to pull their finger out to earn a new deal in the NRL.

99 out Of 100 times we see off contract players have their best season ever, for no either reason than this.

Let's hope they are all hungry to be their best this season, if so then who knows where they might take us.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think most of us will agree that our front row is currently our weakest link in our current squad.

But there is one big factor in our favour for the performance of our Current Front Rowers for this season that we all forgot about - including me.

Max King Only Contracted For Season 2024
Liam Knight Only Contracted For Season 2024
Samuel Hughes Only Contracted For Season 2024
Chris Patolo Only Contracted For Season 2024
Ryan Sutton Contracted For Season 2024 & 2025

4 out of the 5 are OFF Contract meaning that they need to pull their finger out to earn a new deal in the NRL.

99 out Of 100 times we see off contract players have their best season ever, for no either reason than this.

Let's hope they are all hungry to be their best this season, if so then who knows where they might take us.
Front rowers are a rare commodity. I would have thought Gus would have wanted longer tenure otherwise other clubs will be able be recruiting early post trials.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree…TPJ for all the sh!t he’s copped on here was our alpha-dog and actually bent the line, Pele was the only other player capable of bending the line but he rarely ever made it onto the pitch, no current middle in our squad bends the line or strikes any ounce of fear in the opposition… unless Ciro has an incredible game plan focused on speeding up the ruck and play “fast-ball” through speedy backs, I’m not sure where the meters are going to come from (maybe he adopts the Penrith model where fullback and wingers combine for 30-40m in the first 3 hit-ups of a set?)

Hughes is probably the guy that may give us some grunt up front with his sheer size and decent leg speed, Booth is a massive unit but I heard someone on here mention he’s a cat in a big body so that renders him ineffective - I feel like Gus has done some calculations and figures a rival team will need to buckle on Cap pressure before a ball is kicked in 2024 (likely comes from Cowboys and Tigers or a disgruntled player somewhere)… 1 quality middle changes everything, we become very competitive… 2 quality middles and we are then talking top 8
I think you’re right. Gus is waiting for the player market dynamics to come into play so that we can snare some further middle coverage ($400 - $600k recruit).

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think you’re right. Gus is waiting for the player market dynamics to come into play so that we can snare some further middle coverage ($400 - $600k recruit).
I think we could have got two very good first grade props by now, not top props but very good ones, that would have been a big improvement and not expensive until the right marquee came along. Anyway we need to leave to the experts I think.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think we could have got two very good first grade props by now, not top props but very good ones, that would have been a big improvement and not expensive until the right marquee came along. Anyway we need to leave to the experts I think.
Exactly everyone wanted a top 3 prop in the game but what was wrong with two top 20 props!

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Exactly everyone wanted a top 3 prop in the game but what was wrong with two top 20 props!
True. There are 34 starting props plus each team has at least 1-2 props on bench. The tops teams also have some very very good props that not always make the game day squads. I can think of a few of props that don’t always make their club’s game day squads who would make an impact with us

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
are we all saying king was playing injured because he played like shit last year? Maybe he wasn’t injured his just a little over rated on here?

I still think Thompson and Pangai better then king and knight if you ignore there salaries.
Out of necessity King did play with injuries I know that for a fact, he needs to add few KGs to his weight, remember he come to us while recovering from bad foot injury that nearly ended his career, none the less he showed courage and determination, I wish I could say the same about the other two, behind Foran they were the biggest waste of cap space.
Thompson was an English Poodle, while TPJ is an abbreviation for The Perfect Joke :(

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we are to get a top grade prop, the current "props" have to lift their standard. Any potential recruit wont want to come here
and be the only decent prop in the team. AFB did not want to be the one who carried the team. Thats why he went to Sharks.
Props have to hunt as a pack. They need each other to support whats going on. One good prop is not the answer.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we will notice not having TPJ, I get the stupid things he did at times but he could put us in the front foot with a decent run quick play the ball and could also offload. I get the negatives he would put us under pressure with poor off loss at times and decision making but he could have had a decent impact of the bench when we don’t have enough size in the pack

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
How do you propose we do that? Do you think there hasnt been any talks behind the scenes.
If they cant make the 17 at their respective clubs then we dont want them. It takes a spot for when something does come up.
You dont just sign a prop for the sake of it, thats not how you manage a salary cap.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Union can come to a stop before the fly half gets the ball out compared to our six agains etc they may struggle with the constant running. My main problem is their acceleration is terrible. Our props are very mobile these days laterally for defence and speed off the mark to take advantage of a strong run/play the ball. Would require a huge off season or two to change their body type.
Agree on the acceleration, not as prominent compared to NRL players but there are exceptions to the rule and having a 10-15m separation, they’re going to have far more room than they do in Union, I still think they would be able to handle the transition - most guys coming through either code are pure athletes nowadays

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How do you propose we do that? Do you think there hasnt been any talks behind the scenes.
If they cant make the 17 at their respective clubs then we dont want them. It takes a spot for when something does come up.
You dont just sign a prop for the sake of it, thats not how you manage a salary cap.
Wow aggressive little creature aren’t you

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wow aggressive little creature aren’t you
You really don’t get it