News Kikau’s Comeback Season

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kikau’s Comeback Season

Bulldogs enforcer Viliame Kikau says he’s more focused on the process than outcomes in 2024 after conceding looking too far ahead got the better of him last year.

Kikau was restricted to just nine appearances in his first season for the Club with a ruptured pectoral muscle suffered in April limiting his time on the field.

It was a difficult year for the two-time premiership winner, who was also adjusting to life at Belmore after switching from the Panthers.

However, the experience has also allowed him to grow as a player and person with the 28-year-old eyeing a big comeback season.

“It was the most frustrating year of my career, especially after changing clubs,” Kikau said.

“I learned a lot about myself which I don’t think I would’ve learned if I had stayed at Penrith. When you’re taken out of your comfort zone you see another side to yourself.

“We were too focused last year on the end result. This time last year I was thinking how good our edge was going to be before actually going through the process of working on it.

“I just want to make sure I’m fit this season and do whatever I can for the edge but it all starts at training and working hard. You can’t help injuries but I have some repaying to do.”

The arrival of Stephen Crichton alongside several fresh faces has also given Kikau a boost with Head Coach Cameron Ciraldo in a selection headache ahead of Round 1 against the Eels on Saturday.

“It’s been a breath of fresh air to have so many recruits come in,” Kikau said.

“Obviously it didn’t take long for the boys to meet the real Critta and his boombox.

“I just want him to be himself and not change. When he brings that energy to the team it’s contagious.

“I feel more comfortable with having him around and coming from the same system with Ciraldo I think the boys are trusting what we’re doing here.

“He shines in big games and feels so relaxed because he’s done all the work.”

Kikau is expected to resume his spot on the left edge in 2024 but said he was proud of the work Jacob Preston did in his absence last year.

Preston claimed the Dr. George Peponis Player of the Year Award in 2023 along with the Members’ Award and Rookie of the Year honours. He is expected to line up on the right side to start the season.

“He’s a good bloke to start with,” Kikau said of Preston.

“You want good people before they’re good players. Last year he was a sponge, asking for information around attack and defensive systems.

“He’s eager to learn and has a full trophy cabinet because he won everything last season. I’m looking forward to working with him in the back-row this year.”

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's kinda slipped under the radar a bit leading into the new season.

He was up there as the best backrower and most probably forward in the game just 2 years ago. If he fires, the entire dynamic of our forward pack and attack changes.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep.... New season, same crap articles

I'm about disappointed that no one is training the house down
What’s wrong with this? I wouldn’t haven’t heard Kikaus thoughts and motivations without it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He looks very slim, probably the slimmest he has looked during his career.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Needs to fire this year
And I think that's the most I've seen him talk ever?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With our forward pack being light, Kikau needs to have a big season for us to be competitive.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not certain where opposition teams will run at. On our left we have Fox, Crichton Burton and Kikau. On the other side of the spectrum we have Preston, Curran, Hutchison Xerri and Kiraz. Our middles held out the big forward Sharks pack to 6 points for most of the game, no where through there either.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
With our forward pack being light, Kikau needs to have a big season for us to be competitive.
Our light pack stood up to the sharks, we looked super fit to compensate.
Kickau is gunna have a great year if he doesnt do another pec tear.

BulldogsMate

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Does Burton know how to use him properly? From what I’ve seen so far… NO!

Hope he’s pulled his finger out because Kikau is too good of a player to be wasted next to a bloke with no idea.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He would want to because curran will quickly take his spot in the 11. Tbf curran is the best hole or line runner in our club.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FMD carry on like his played 50 plus games for the club. saying does burton know how to use him or has burton put him through a gap yet lol. the guys played a total of 9 games for us and 4 of those was coming back from a major injury. Ola is a great player. Kikau is more the better player imo, you guys have just forgotten how damaging he is in defence and attack cause he hasn’t played more than 9 games in the last 12 months.