Kieran Foran sounds out Broncos about the prospect of rebuilding his career under Wayne Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kieran Foran sounds out Broncos about the prospect of rebuilding his career under Wayne Bennett

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
February 27, 2017 7:56pm
Subscriber only

TROUBLED NRL star Kieran Foran has sounded out the Broncos about the prospect of rebuilding his career under master coach Wayne Bennett.

The Courier-Mail understands Foran’s management has contacted the Broncos outlining the playmaker’s desire to be mentored by Bennett at Red Hill next season.

Foran’s life went off the rails last year, with the former Kiwi Test five-eighth checking into rehab after his shock decision to walk away from a $5 million Parramatta contract.

Kieran Foran is reportedly already looking for his next club. Photo: Mark Evans
Foran was cleared to return to the NRL a fortnight ago and is expected to make his comeback for new club the Warriors against Canterbury in round three.

But Foran’s tenure in New Zealand could be short-lived. He is off-contract this season and believes being coached by Bennett in Brisbane, where he has family support networks, can bring stability to his life off the field.

Foran would be the perfect on-field replacement for halfback Ben Hunt, who is joining the Dragons next season. The 26-year-old has played 156 NRL games, 30 Tests for the Kiwis and has premiership-winning experience after piloting Manly to the title in 2011.

The Broncos are scouring the market for Hunt’s replacement but have yet to formally target one playmaker. Bennett has already ruled out signing off-contract Tigers duo Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks.

Foran on contract: 'It's a big relief'
Former Broncos five-eighth Darren Lockyer, now a member of the club’s recruitment-and-retention committee, lauded Foran’s ability and said it is crucial Brisbane make the right call.

“Kieran is an international and a premiership-winning half,” Lockyer said. “He’s a class player.

“Beyond Ben (Hunt), there are options internally, but being such an important long-term position the club needs to make a good decision.”

Foran has links with Bennett. The super coach was a former adviser to New Zealand, who surged to the No.1 ranking under coach Steve Kearney with Foran and Shaun Johnson as the Kiwis’ playmaking alliance.

Foran has also worked with Bennett in recent years as a member of the NRL All Stars team.

The Broncos coach has a history of resurrecting troubled NRL players. Bennett supported Darius Boyd during his battle with depression and issued lifelines to former jailbird Russell Packer and Maroons winger Dane Gagai during his time at Newcastle.

It’s been a long road back for Foran since leaving the Eels. Photo: Mark Evans
Legendary five-eighth Kevin Walters, who helped the Broncos to five premierships, said Foran would be a revelation in the Brisbane No.7 jumper.

“I don’t think it would be a risky purchase — he would be a great signing,” he said. “They would have to go through the checks and balances but the Broncos need someone to replace Ben Hunt.

“They need to replace Hunt with someone of high quality and they don’t get much better than Kieran Foran.

“I like what he does on the field. He’s had some problems off the field but he’s trying to fix all that up and a year at the Warriors will do him some good.

“The best playmakers find a way to win premierships and the Broncos have a history of quality halves.

“Wayne would be good for Kieran so hopefully it works out for the Broncos. I’d love to see them win a premiership again.”

Originally published as Foran eyes a future with Broncos

How the fk can this even be a possibility also seems like Foran will play for anyone that's not des Hasler

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd go after Mitch Moses and go in hard
Fcuk Foran
How many times does he have to reject us for u guys to understand

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny how everyone was saying what a great bloke Foran was when Cherry-Evans was playing clubs for fools during his contract talks. Now Foran looks more like a selfish goose every day. I can smell a Ben Cousins scenario. Not with drugs but an out of control ego spiralling down.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
lol @ imposter coach Des.

that is all.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
FMD.

No I don't want this arsewipe at my club.

He is fucking toxic.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rejects Des again.. time to give up on Foran solving our halves issue

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This **** seems so messed up and is all over the shop

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll take it with a grain of salt. I read this yesterday but from memory it's all speculation anyway. Low on direct quotes, built around the coincidental facts that Foran had been coached by Bennett in rep teams.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
doubt Hasler would've approached Foran again unless it's for his new club. Read somewhere late last year Foran was desperate to get out of Sydney, maybe that's still the case.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
**** hasn't even started playing at his current club, and he's already looking for his next one ??

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
"what can we say to get you out of your contract? we'd usually say that you're homesick but you are from NZ, how about you are sick of home?"

"no i dont want to insult anybody"

"ok then just say you really want to play under wayne bennett"

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Rejects des again? Who says he asked. Im not a big fan of Des until i see something has changed from last year, but fair is fair, it cant be Des' fault every time another team signs a player u like.

The thing Foran says he is enjoying the most, and what is best for him, is being out of Sydney. Warriors and Broncos are based a long way from Sydney. We arent. Get over not getting him. I believe he is overpriced in any case.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett can cure it all; so it seems.

I don't know about the veracity of the article but if any of it rings true Foran has massive problems and he does not know what will make him happy. Firstly out of Sydney and Australia and back home to NZ to get away from ' pressure'. The NRL must be content with his state of mind to register his contract and allow him to play from Round 3 onwards but even they are probably looking at him being put in the too hard basket. I don't know about everyone else who follows the game, but I am getting heartily sick of these blokes playing one group off against another and changing their direction as often as a normal person changes their underwear. If I was a Warriors fan I would be really pissed.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If this is true, didn't it just prove that hes not mentally stable enough to return to the game?

He needs stability at the moment, not moving about all over the world.

NRL should tell him it's either Australia or NZ, but you commit for a few years.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I know why Bennett let go of hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.