Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stats that I found interesting;
ran 7 times
made 15 tackles & didn't miss 1
9 kicks for 362 metres
3 bombs + 1 cross field
and lastly 0 errors

By far Burton's biggest effect was the long kicks 60/70/80 metres that tired the Titan's bigger forwards. Perhaps more importantly mentally demoralised them, turning them around and forcing them to run back lots of metres. Often taking 2/3/4 play the balls to get back on side. Especially when they have just spent 5 tackle sets working hard on limiting our metres.

Always a Bulldog
Mahoney also put in some good deep kicks. Tbh I have questioned Ciro’s tactics as there often isn’t any obvious ones being implemented, but that seemed like an obvious, yet smart tactic. Kick long and sometimes early to turn their big pack around. It could also be a weekly strategy that just doesn’t get executed well for various reasons. Lack of possession and field position etc. Funnily enough you need to be midway in your own half or thereabouts for those long kicks to have the desired effect.

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I realised something this past weekend that I don’t remember being mentioned on TK.

It was in relation to the many people raving about Brooks’ transformation since moving to Manly in contrast to the heavy criticism our Burton gets. Now, as anyone could tell from my comments, I think Brooks is just the flavour of the month and people are overrating his form, because of the storyline around him struggling at Tigers before.

Anyway, this isn’t about Brooks, but one key thing that I noticed which got me thinking is, he has the benefit of Trbo at Manly. Watching him yesterday most of what he did was just draw and pass to Tom who can then go himself or set up his outside men.

Just something to think about. Burto has copped a lot of criticism (some justified) but before judging him in the future, I think everyone should consider how important having a good, smart fullback makes to the halves.

It’s not just the five eighth and halfback job that’s been left up to Matt on many occasions, but he also hasn’t had very competent fullbacks either. I’m sure that the pressure to create has been a heavy burden, as he has been a constant while guys like Flanagan and Perham have come and gone, but like any good team, you need many hands contributing to be successful.

Eta: I should add that Taffy has chimed in well to the right side attack, but I don’t remember him popping up on the left.
If Burto was at Manly with Cherry Evans feeding him ball. The option to give to Turbo or run. He would be rated as one of the greatest halves in the game.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You make some good sense on this mate. Taffe may not be the perfect FB foil for Burton, but in a game where we had the upper hand and a good amount of possession etc, he definitely added to our attacking structure. He is quick off the mark and light on his feet, so im expecting his input will improve our attack moving forward.
Like ciraldo has said, our attack is a work in progress. We will improve on it as the year goes on.
He’s serviceable but will never be as integral as a Trbo, Tedesco et al. Just the way it is. Critta has the potential to be, but it’s not looking like going that way. Tbh I don’t even think Tracey can be, but tbh, not many fullbacks can reach that level. You’ve just got to do the best with what you’ve got. Even the best fullbacks play different styles of game, e.g: Trbo, Teddy, Edwards and Paps are all quite different in what they bring to their teams, but all are indispensable. I guess it just boils down to having one that is good enough to have a positive effect on the tesm. It’s not an easy job by any means. The amount of things they have to excel at is crazy tbh.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Saying Burton was "very poor" is quite harsh imo. Burtons long kicks pinned them in there 20m zone every single set. This made it very difficult for their pack to get back on side and ruck it out again. It's how we managed to dominate them. Hutchinson did very little long kicks, so it was basically up to Burton, and a few kicks from Mahoney.
Indeed. Very poor is very harsh. Completely shit as a 5/8 is closer to the mark.

Its been over 2 years and he's as useless as a 5/8 as he was 2 years ago. He takes the line on when he should be passing. He passes when he should take the line on. Lest we forget that beautiful, completely unrushed bomb he put up against the titties on the weekend, that went dead on the full.

Just putting this out there - Hutchison who is garbage too ran more times for more metres per run. He also didn't put it onto the railway lines.

My kid is mad Dogs and I asked him, what exactly are Burtons KPI's. What is the point that he gets moved somewhere else? 2+ years to learn the trade when apparently he has the tools. And yet - same same. Even against a piss poor titties.

Glad we won but we won despite Burton. Just shows how shite the titties were.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saying Burton was "very poor" is quite harsh imo. Burtons long kicks pinned them in there 20m zone every single set. This made it very difficult for their pack to get back on side and ruck it out again. It's how we managed to dominate them. Hutchinson did very little long kicks, so it was basically up to Burton, and a few kicks from Mahoney.
Most Burto critics say stop with the crap kicks etc, and sure some of them are crap, but what they fail to mention is who’s going to kick otherwise? We simply don’t have anyone that can kick as far as him and I doubt we have anyone who can have a similar success rate at short dropouts which seem to be pretty much essential now. That’s why Sexton should get a go at 7 tbh, because he has an excellent short kicking game (particularly earning line dropouts) which completely Burto’s long kicking game.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He’s serviceable but will never be as integral as a Trbo, Tedesco et al. Just the way it is. Critta has the potential to be, but it’s not looking like going that way. Tbh I don’t even think Tracey can be, but tbh, not many fullbacks can reach that level. You’ve just got to do the best with what you’ve got. Even the best fullbacks play different styles of game, e.g: Trbo, Teddy, Edwards and Paps are all quite different in what they bring to their teams, but all are indispensable. I guess it just boils down to having one that is good enough to have a positive effect on the tesm. It’s not an easy job by any means. The amount of things they have to excel at is crazy tbh.
Agreed. I think the role is just being kept warm for Papali'i to come of age. So to spend the required time to groom Critta into an elite fb might not be time well spent. But hopefully Papali'i can become that elite fb, and O'Neil our elite 7.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Indeed. Very poor is very harsh. Completely shit as a 5/8 is closer to the mark.

Its been over 2 years and he's as useless as a 5/8 as he was 2 years ago. He takes the line on when he should be passing. He passes when he should take the line on. Lest we forget that beautiful, completely unrushed bomb he put up against the titties on the weekend, that went dead on the full.

Just putting this out there - Hutchison who is garbage too ran more times for more metres per run. He also didn't put it onto the railway lines.

My kid is mad Dogs and I asked him, what exactly are Burtons KPI's. What is the point that he gets moved somewhere else? 2+ years to learn the trade when apparently he has the tools. And yet - same same. Even against a piss poor titties.

Glad we won but we won despite Burton. Just shows how shite the titties were.
Give it a rest. Your so one eyed on this topic.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Perhaps in a vacuum that’s a harsh assessment but when you consider we had almost 60% possession a pack (and backline) that ran almost 50% more metres than the opposition his output is not up to scratch.

All week we heard that his running game is back yet for all our ball and momentum he only ran it 4 times, had a glancing hand in 2 tries, broke 0 tackles and didn’t even make a half break. His passing game was marginally better but Kikau actually performed better than him in that area too setting up Tracey.

if he isn’t producing in a game like today with all the running and you aren’t concerned about a 5/8 on more than the rest of the spine combined then I don’t know what to tell you

im happy with the win and the way we defended, I was at the game and have watched the replay twice but games and weeks come and go very quickly and I just still don’t see it from him

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Give it a rest. Your so one eyed on this topic.
And you're (just 4 you @Moedogg :tearsofjoy: ) balanced on the subject?

Believe the thread title is key feature missing from our attack. A decent half. Hope I'm wrong. But all anyone seems to have is he can kick a long way. And I agree. Which is why he is shit.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
On top of that the other thing Brooks has that Burton doesn't.....
A state of Origin half back..
Just saying....
This. DCE would make Burton look like a world beater. Brooks is thriving because he only has to worry about his own game . DCE is calling all the shots and his experience will take Brooks to the next level

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You make some good sense on this mate. Taffe may not be the perfect FB foil for Burton, but in a game where we had the upper hand and a good amount of possession etc, he definitely added to our attacking structure. He is quick off the mark and light on his feet, so im expecting his input will improve our attack moving forward.
Like ciraldo has said, our attack is a work in progress. We will improve on it as the year goes on.
Taafe postioning himself in support is his strength and where he will be of value to the team his role at fullback does make me nervous. Surely CC is asking Potter his opinion.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
This. DCE would make Burton look like a world beater. Brooks is thriving because he only has to worry about his own game . DCE is calling all the shots and his experience will take Brooks to the next level
DCE made Schuster look like he's worth $800k/yr. Brooks is many times the half that Schuster is. Lolz....

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel the Frustration around Burton he hasn’t shown enough at 5/8 to warrant his pay packet. But the bottom line is we don’t have anyone to replace him with that will make us a better football team. In a perfect world he has that light bulb moment and everything clicks into place .

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Burton might not have a star fullback but he has 3 International reps outside him at his disposal.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
DCE made Schuster look like he's worth $800k/yr. Brooks is many times the half that Schuster is. Lolz....
So you’re saying that shuster and Burton are the same player in terms of attitude and effort ? C’mon doogs even on the electric spinach you are smarter than that.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And funnily enough the criticisms around burtons game are almost identical to the criticisms leveled at brooks for the last 10 years at the tigers.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So you’re saying that shuster and Burton are the same player in terms of attitude and effort ? C’mon doogs even on the electric spinach you are smarter than that.
Not at all. Burton is twice the baller that Schuster is. Burton can kick a ball a long way. Schuster cannot even do that.

But your point was that Burton doesn't have a DCE next to him. If we had a DCE we could play Flanagan at 5/8 and he'd look good.

Mary Jane or not - anyone waiting on Burton to have the 'light bulb' is fckng funny. You want a light bulb moment from a dude that cannot work out if the Earth is flat or not. Ain't no light bulb coming on if there is no electricity. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
And funnily enough the criticisms around burtons game are almost identical to the criticisms leveled at brooks for the last 10 years at the tigers.
Oh - that Brooks can kick a long way but do fck all else? C'mon bro - you're killing me.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not at all. Burton is twice the baller that Schuster is. Burton can kick a ball a long way. Schuster cannot even do that.

But your point was that Burton doesn't have a DCE next to him. If we had a DCE we could play Flanagan at 5/8 and he'd look good.

Mary Jane or not - anyone waiting on Burton to have the 'light bulb' is fckng funny. You want a light bulb moment from a dude that cannot work out if the Earth is flat or not. Ain't no light bulb coming on if there is no electricity. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Granted he’s obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed :tearsofjoy: It may take shock treatment to get a glow, but whatever it takes I hope it happens because like it or not he’s going to be our 5/8th until at least the end of the season.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh - that Brooks can kick a long way but do fck all else? C'mon bro - you're killing me.
No you’re killing yourself, you know I am talking about the criticisms around game control, 5th tackle options, set management etc etc etc.