Kewell faces ban after insulting referee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hma

The Emperor
Reaction score
Harry Kewell could miss Australia's final group match after being charged by FIFA with insulting referee Markus Merk following the 2-0 defeat by Brazil.

The Liverpool winger has been reported by Merk for swearing at the German official several times after the final whistle and disciplinary proceedings have been opened against him.

A decision will be announced before Australia's last game of Group F against Croatia in Stuttgart on Thursday.

FIFA communications director Markus Siegler said: 'FIFA have opened disciplinary procedures against Harry Kewell. It was reported in the referee's report that he insulted the referee several times. He has until tomorrow [June 20] to respond and a decision will be taken before Australia's final group match.'
Stupid thing from Kewell to do, now this might cost Australia making throught to the next round

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
stupid thing, but i can understand why he was frustrated

Hma

The Emperor
Reaction score
leaguegod said:
But being a professional and playing at such a high level, he should know better

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i guess your right, there are better ways of handling it

Hma

The Emperor
Reaction score
leaguegod said:
yeah i guess your right, there are better ways of handling it
I wanted Australia to go through, even tho i go for Brazil and i have been going for them since the start of the 94 world cup but i hope australia got a result...

Kewell showed some danger when he came on, and was unlucky to get a goal or even 2 but now its hard, i don't think we should be playing with on Viduka upfront, and Cahill was pretty ordinary againt brazil, so im not sure whats next againt Croatia, If they had lost then it would be different, but they are playing for a next round spot as well, so i think its going to be pretty hard, but again thats the world cup

Faz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
leaguegod said:

Why was he frustrated? Were were eventually outplayed and he missed a sitter, he should have blown up at the ref last game.

D

D0ggyStylz

Not good. We need Kewell. He did not have the best game but he has that spark that we need.

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
hopefully he gets off...

he had every right to go off at the ref and any other ref who babysits brazil to make sure they dont get a scratch on them...

it was a poor performance by the ref and some of his dud calls

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Oh well to bad! Mr Open Goal might have to sit this one out.

D

D0ggyStylz

atomic_crimson said:
not the end of the world in my opinion...
I agree, we were playing just as well with Kewell off the park. Might be a psychological blow to the team though - knowing that he cannot be used at all. Who knows.

A

atomic_crimson

Dogaholic said:
I agree, we were playing just as well with Kewell off the park. Might be a psychological blow to the team though - knowing that he cannot be used at all. Who knows.

i don't think so entirely.... that's what makes them the atheletes they are... these days its just as much as a mental thing as it is a physical thing... 4 weeks out from the WC they thought kewell may struggle to be fit....

i thought they did well before kewell came on... and may be a big call but i think that anyone else would have put in that goal kewell had a shot at with an open net... i think there is this massive expectation on kewell somewhat like ronaldo in a sense... everyone has thrown him on a pedestal expecting him to win every game for australia... there are other players who can create a spark just as well...

i think australia will get through with or without kewell and who knows... one game off may be a good thing for kewell... winning without him will take some of the expectations off his shoulders would it not?

i dunno, just a thought.... not sure if it makes any sense...

ps. i thought emerton has a better game against brazil than he did against japan aswell (thought id throw that in)

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this talk of "we were hard done by" reeks of arrogance and is irritating me... Sure we copped a few harsh calls, but it's sport and it happens. We lost because we were generally outplayed but we held our own and if we had to go up against them again we know we could win...

But we can't forget we are STILL the underdogs in the WC and going into the Croatia match... and we will make it to the next round if we go in with the fighting atittude that we showed both against Japan and against Brazil.

It is probably more the media than the team doing all the whinging but we have got to stop and focus on playing hard and getting a few balls in the back of Croatia's net!

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Faz said:
Why was he frustrated? Were were eventually outplayed and he missed a sitter, he should have blown up at the ref last game.
the free kick count was 29-5, but i did think we were better in the first half and that was without kewell

D

D0ggyStylz

An on song Kewell though is something that we would love to see in the last game. When on song he is amongst the best in the world and take a game and turn it around.

Hopefully he doesn't get suspended so he could used when needed.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
the ref blew 25 fouls - 9 against us which indicates something about the brazilians diving techniques?

Christabella

Reaction score
Come now people, abusing referees is a national past time down here! LOL ;)
A dumb thing for a player to do, yes, but I can't help but smile when see Harry is a still your average Aussie bloke despite his massive paycheck.

Besides we can still get a result in the next game with or without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.