News Josh Addo-Carr Set For Quick Return As $4 million worth of Bulldogs talent sidelined

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Via Telegraph Sport Dean Ritchie and Brent Reed

Canterbury flyer Josh Addo-Carr is targeting a “world record” return from
ankle surgery as he looks to come to the aid of the injury-ravaged Bulldogs and give himself a last-ditch shot at reclaiming the NSW jersey that was cruelly taken from him last year.

Addo-Carr’s quest to get back on the field came as Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould said his club couldn’t afford to sulk over the’ shocking injury toll that has left upwards of $4 million worth of talent on the sideline.

The Bulldogs’ injury crisis worsened on Monday with revelations winger Jacob Kiraz will miss three matches after injuring his knee against Parramatta on Sunday, while concerns remain over centre Jake Averillo, who sustained a left knee prepatellar bursitis and partial tear.

Forward Andrew Davey injured a finger against the Eels and also faces a stint out of the game. They join a burgeoning casualty ward that already includes Addo-Carr (ankle), Viliame Kikau (pectoral), Braidon Burns (ankle), Fa’amanu Brown (elbow), Luke Thompson (foot), Franklin Pele (arm), Chris Patolo (knee) and Bailey Biondi-Odo (ACL).

Addo-Carr underwent tightrope surgery on his ankle last week and is already ahead of schedule in his recovery, fueling his desire to be back on the field by mid-May. That would give him a game or two to press his claims for a Blues recall, although he insists his priority is to help the embattled ‘Dogs.

“Everyone says it is an eight-week recovery but I will come back in five (weeks) bro,” Addo-Carr said.

“I am leaving it to the universe. To be honest with you I want to break the world record and come back the quickest. I think I am already ahead of schedule because I am walking around.”

Asked whether Origin I on May 31 was on his mind, Addo-Carr said: “It is always on your radar bro. It (Origin) is something every player wants to be part of but I just want to get back playing for the Bulldogs to be honest with you.

“It’s the longest I have ever been out so it is all new to me.”

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo conceded Addo-Carr was doing everything in his power to return.

“Foxx is doing everything possible and our medical team is really good,” Ciraldo said.

“Our high-performance team is doing a great job with all our injured guys. Whether Foxx makes it back in four weeks or five weeks, I’m not quite sure right now but he’s ticking every box right now that he possibly can.”

Ciraldo is only in the early stages of his coaching career yet it is hard to believe he will confront a more dire injury crisis from here on.

And Canterbury’s fortunes don’t essentially improve this Saturday when matched against in-form Cronulla at Accor Stadium.

“Coaches coach the healthy ones,” Gould said.

“Medics fix the broken ones. (Some) kids will get a shot at the NRL. It is what it is.”

Asked if he could recall a worse injury toll, Gould said: “There’s probably been a few times. I can’t readily remember.”

Ciraldo will select his patched-up side to play the Sharks, likely to include some rookies, at 4pm on Tuesday. Declan Casey, who was an unused 18th replacement against the Eels, could come into a Bulldogs backline missing both right-side outside backs in Kiraz and Averillo.

Jayden Okunbor, who featured on the wing against the Eels after training and playing as a forward off the bench this season, is another option.

With Burns’ foot issue a day-to-day proposition, the Bulldogs could turn to rookies Jeral Skelton or Joash Papalii, who have impressed as part of coach David Tangata-Toa’s league-leading NSW Cup team.

“This is the club of opportunity,” Bulldogs chairman said John Khoury.

“We’ve got aspiring under-21s in Jersey Flegg that want to be NRL players. Sometimes you ideally want to do that via reserve grade.

“But this might be an opportunity for a few kids but the coaches will make that call.

“We are having some bad luck. One of us must have walked under a ladder. It is what it is.

“With the new rules, and with the game getting faster, they may need to consider having an 18th man on the bench.”

Bulldogs legend Paul Langmack supported Gould by saying: “You can’t feel sorry for yourself. If you do that, you’ll keep going backwards.

“You’ve got to get on with life. You’ve got to keep going.

“We are showing a lot of resilience – we just have to hang in there. We have to stay positive and it will turn, maybe next week or maybe in three weeks.

“They’re not giving up. If they were giving up Parramatta would have put 60 points on us.

“In past seasons, they would have surrendered.

“Losing Addo-Carr is such a big loss because he’s such a positive person on the field.”

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Cc said in nrl 360 that Josh reckons 4 weeks he will be back for origin. Cc said more likely 5 weeks. I think we have 1 game then the bye for origin 3. Not sure Josh will do enough in one game to earn a recall unless injuries befoul nsw.

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We need to be so careful that we don’t rush him back to then compete a week later in such an intense game like Origin and then lose him again and also potentially effect his speed long term for us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't want Fox rushed back for any reason, especially not for an Origin bid when brain-dead Freddy probably won't pick him anyway. We can't afford to be risking players re-injuring themselves.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope we don't rush him or let him push himself too much to get back early. If by some stretch of luck and determination from the coaching staff and playing group, we make the 8, I'd prefer we've let him recover fully so there's better chances he's around for the finals. With his experience in those clashes he's a valuable asset.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
These muppet reporters just regurgitated everything I said and quoted here last night after I spoke to fox at the ground.
He said he will be back in 4 weeks after missing this week.
He was in a moon boot but said there was no pain and that now it was all about his rehab and healing powers

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I doubt Fitler would pick him and admit he was wrong. Too big of an ego for that.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am all for the Fox coming back early IF he is fit, his biggest asset is his speed if he comes back too early and is playing on one leg like Averillo was, it will be worse than not having him play at all. I remember a 'few' years ago Josh Moris injured his knee and he came back to early and was playing on one leg. He was ok in defense but he had no speed to take advantage of opportunities, that is not what we need from JAC.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I doubt Fitler would pick him and admit he was wrong. Too big of an ego for that.
Which is why Fox needs to be fit in time, so he doesn't get picked and that fraud Fitler gets egg on his face all over again.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant believe Davey got injured first game back from injury. Wtf is this luck.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They’re going with Campbell graham and Brian to’o
As soon as the nsw scum media have a hard on over a player johns , Alexander, and co jump on the bandwagon and select said player

I appreciate Campbell is a solid player but he sure isn’t no fox