Johnathan Thurston holds NRL to ransom

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Gee and Matt Marshall
Source: The Daily Telegraph

COWBOYS halfback Johnathan Thurston has launched a $40,000 ransom demand on the NRL, insisting he should be paid an annual ambassadors fee to keep him in the code.

The demand comes as the Test halfback prepares to sign a new $2 million-plus contract that will keep him at North Queensland until the end of 2013.

Despite mulling over a code switch to link with Karmichael Hunt's current French rugby club, Biarritz Olympique, Thurston has pledged his allegiance to the Cowboys.

However, The Daily Telegraph has learned he wants to be paid for what he considers the saturated use of his image in NRL marketing.

The 26-year-old has already agreed to a new three-year apparel deal with Asics, making him the player earning the most across both codes from endorsing boots, and has updated contracts with headgear manufacturer Madison and compression gear Skins nearly finalised

The unprecedented demand comes less than a week after the Australian Rugby Union labelled the Test and Origin star greedy following his demand for a $700,000-a-year deal to switch codes.

NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday rejected the demand and questioned how the code could pay all players for any ambassadorial work or image use.

Gallop said all players were expected to be involved in promoting the game as part of their contract with the NRL.

Gallop admitted he was surprised by the demand, but had yet to be approached by Thurston or his management.

"That's a new one. There is a requirement in all players' contracts that their image can be used for the general promotion of the game," he said. "It's difficult to see how you could make one player an exception to the general rule."

Gallop rejected suggestions Thurston's image was overused.

"The leading players in the game tend to have a high profile, which is part of the remuneration they receive for playing football," he said.

Asked was he disappointed at such a money grab, Gallop replied: "I don't really know if it's the player or the agent at this stage. I'm happy to have the discussion with them but they have not come to us with any general request for an image rights fee from the league."

Gallop said players received third-party agreements for work with NRL sponsors, but not the NRL.

The demand comes after Tigers star Benji Marshall yesterday re-signed with the club until 2015, closing the door on a possible move to rugby.

Thurston has received pitches from the Bulldogs and Eels but will not play for any other NRL club. The Cowboys hope to ink a new deal before the season opener against Brisbane.

The Dogs' bid dates back considerably while the Warriors - who will have plenty of free funds under the salary cap after Maroons veteran Steve Price's departure at season's end - have also made a lunge.

While Thurston is poised to pledge his long-term future to Townsville, a deal with fellow off-contract star Luke O'Donnell is less likely for the Cowboys, with the NSW Origin lock likely to return to Sydney.

Thurston is yet to formally lock the door on France's Top 14 with Biarritz having tabled a whopping deal, believed to be worth double the Cowboys' offer, but a European move is increasingly unlikely.

Thurston holds deep ties to the Cowboys and its community.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you know what thurston should get as much as possiable because he is only in the game for a few more seasons.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thurston is fast losing touch with reality I am afraid.

How about he has a look at ticket prices the working class pay to watch him each week.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
i am starting to loss respect for thurston, the guy is doing whatever he can to get money out of everyone.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i am starting to loss respect for thurston, the guy is doing whatever he can to get money out of everyone.
well in that case you should lose respect for everyone, except monks

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could his head get any bigger? No one likes a smartass.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
well in that case you should lose respect for everyone, except monks
im not saying to not get as much as possible from your club for x amount of years but to say to the nrl you must pay me if you plan of advertising the game with my face is way way over the top and pathetic.

He should be privilaged to be the face of the nrl

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thurston is fast losing touch with reality I am afraid.

How about he has a look at ticket prices the working class pay to watch him each week.
Why should he do that? So people on the big pay should not try to earn more because their are people out there that earn less wtf?

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
thurstons ego has overtaken the game, he thinks he is bigger then the nrl and the nrl owe him something..... sorry thurston it shows you are now only interested in the $$$$$$$$$ .
p off thurston the game will survive without you

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have mixed emotions about this article.

For one thing yes, I agree with some people saying that Thurstons ego is growing considering he thinks he is the best player in the world - and for good reason I guess.

But on the other hand, this issue will just keep on popping up in the NRL. Everytime I superstar is born, we're gonna have these issues. This is where SBW was right. If the NRL continues with the current Salary Cap system and not reward players like Thurston for his worth, we're just gonna keep having players walk out on the code. We've seen it recently with ***** and Gasnier, and it could happen to Thurston too.

And please don't tell me Thurston is not deserving of a little extra cash. The problem here is, he is getting multi-million dollar offers from Jap Rugby. Naturally, you would expect the NRL to do something about his scenario. But no, as per usual - the NRL is sitting on it's fat ****ing arse and telling him to take the offer he was initially given or to **** off.

Thurston wants to stay, I don't have any doubts about this - but if the NRL doesn't want to make him feel like he is wanted - then he's gonna walk out.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if these so called great players keep walking out of the nrl to play union so be it..... it was only last week in the papers where the rugby union bosses told clubs not to give in to thurstons demands for a big payday. rugby union doesnt have unlimited dollars rugby union have strict rules regarding importing players from overseas to play in their comp (as in sbw to france or japan)
rugby union wont pay big dollars for thurston or anyone else, they will pay a bit more then he is currently on, read some of the rugby union articles where players have returned to australia and tell us they were never getting those dollar figures as quoted in the papers.

why should the nrl pay thurston to be the face of the game or pay for his image, thursto should think hard about what he is saying, he could find himself with very little support from other teams and players with his big head attitude

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just don't think that JT is a bigger ambassador for the game than half a dozen other players - especially players who have a better off-field record.

Maybe there will be another moonlight flit to rugby union if his agent doesn't get his ransom money.

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wake upto yourself Jonathon.
what inspires these tossers....fair dinkum?

I dont care how good he thinks he is, he is not half the player Stevie, Sterlo or Alf was
and he is literally trying to hold the game to ransom.....F*@$ HIM!!!

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
good on him i say - your all a bunch of hypocrits - lets say a rival employer comes up to you trying to snare you away from your job for more money and a sign on bonus.

If i was any good to be a professional sports player id be doing the same

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
good on him i say - your all a bunch of hypocrits - lets say a rival employer comes up to you trying to snare you away from your job for more money and a sign on bonus.

If i was any good to be a professional sports player id be doing the same
lets say a rival employer comes up to you trying to snare you away from your job for more money and a sign on bonus........
his employer the cowboys have upped their offer to thurston and now he wants the nrl to up it even more.
if i was his employer id tell him to p off.

Status
Not open for further replies.