Jim Dymock says he's ready to take over from Des Hasler as Canterbury Bulldogs coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des Hasler, for the first time since taking over at Canterbury, took a sick day.

Which meant he dodged all the inevitable questions in what may have been his final Bulldogs pre-match press conference about whether Sunday would be the last time he coaches the blue and whites.

So it was left to his assistant, Jim Dymock, to front the media.

While the ink is still drying on the two-year contract extension Hasler recently signed, it appears increasingly likely he will be speared in the off-season. Which raised the question: would Dymock be keen to replace Hasler is such a scenario unfolded?

"Definitely," Dymock said. "I have aspirations of being a head coach. To be head coach of a side that I've spilled blood for would be an honour for me. I'd definitely put my hand up.

"If that opportunity comes, I feel I'm ready. I've been coaching for 13 years so I think I've put the time in.

"I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves at the moment. I'm just worrying about the game tomorrow."

Hasler's future has been a talking point from the moment Canterbury legend Steve Mortimer told Fairfax Media the club was "losing our DNA" under the former Manly mentor. That happened last October. Since then the Bulldogs have missed the finals and blown the salary cap to such an extent that it's likely skipper James Graham will have to be one of the players moved on to accommodate new buys Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods.

Adding further intrigue is the fact that Canterbury board elections are being held in February, where it is likely incumbent directors will be thrown out of Belmore if Hasler isn't. If officials are looking for a coach that understands the intangible that is the culture of the "Family Club", then Dymock fits the bill. The former NSW and Australian international made 71 appearances for the Bulldogs, including a grand final-winning one in which he earned Clive Churchill medal honours. His own future is yet to be decided given he is off contract and yet to be offered a new one.

Dymock had to answer the tough questions in Hasler's absence. Perhaps not for the last time.

"Six years I've been working with Des and I can honestly say he's had the sniffles every now and then but it's the first time he hasn't turned up for a training session," Dymock said.

"I don't think it's strange, he's had a few family commitments as well, someone has been sick in the family as well. I don't think it's strange, it is what it is.

"Definitely [he will be present to coach against the Dragons on Sunday], even if he has no voice he will be miming away, we'll understand what he's saying. All the work has been done and the boys know what we need to do tomorrow."

The Canterbury board is scheduled to convene for a board meeting which could decide Hasler's fate.

"That's a tough thing for a lot of the staff and a few of the players, the uncertainty of next year, what's going on," Dymock said.

"I think the board has got a meeting next Tuesday or something like that. Hopefully they can sort something out and we can just get on with it."

Hasler's coaching record remains one of the best in the game. He has won two premierships with Manly, guided the Bulldogs to two grand finals and boasts a win rate of 58 per cent. However, the Bulldogs only just scraped into the finals last year and missed out altogether in 2017, with his side seemingly in decline. It is a transitional time for the club, which could soon have a new coach, CEO, skipper and board.

Asked if Hasler should be nervous about getting sacked, Dymock replied: "Mate, Des is never nervous about stuff like that. He's very confident in what he does. The last six years he's been here, he has a great win rate so he's probably one of the best in the competition. If you take that into consideration and also the two grand finals we made, it makes for a pretty good six years."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...anterbury-bulldogs-coach-20170902-gy9eqz.html

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's starting to unravel?

Reactions: DT

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Few things make me want Dymock.. he dropped Morris when he was a quality player not playing how he should of been.. he gave us some wins before hasler arrived and he has been around the dogs for many years. Not sure about Dean pay I don't know him personally or how he coaches but from what I've seen of Dymock I can't see it being any worse than Hasler .. just cause you've worked with your boss doesn't mean your like your boss, I strted my own business and do things the complete opposite to how he did things and I rekon it's no different with coaching , he has to follow des instructions.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how Dymock would go as coach without Des holding the leash. We won more than we lost in the brief stint he had as fillin coach previously. Not calling him the best coach in the NRL or anything, but he must be better than Des, and at least loves the club and is driven to make the club successful. Des has no passion for us at all. Before he came to us he would have hated us. Id also be ok with Pay. Id prefer an ex dog player for passion and culture reasons. Give whoever they pick a year contract with view to extend if we go well.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Dymock wants to be a head coach he can go elsewhere. We need someone who understands the bulldogs to coach us but not someone who has been part of this crap system over the last few years.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Few things make me want Dymock.. he dropped Morris when he was a quality player not playing how he should of been.. he gave us some wins before hasler arrived and he has been around the dogs for many years. Not sure about Dean pay I don't know him personally or how he coaches but from what I've seen of Dymock I can't see it being any worse than Hasler .. just cause you've worked with your boss doesn't mean your like your boss, I strted my own business and do things the complete opposite to how he did things and I rekon it's no different with coaching , he has to follow des instructions.
Interesting take on Dymock, I worked in a small business (same as dib's), I learnt what to do but just as importantly I learnt what not to do and what and how to do it better, old boss out of business a few years later and me successful for many years. Just because Dymock worked for des doesn't mean he believed in all his methods. Because of my similar business background to dib I understand the level of cunning required and thats partly why I believe he insisted on 2017 top 8 clause.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If Des is moved on.
Whoever takes over there should be an exhaustive process.
The board needs to have a very clear understanding what the new coach thinks he can do with the squad!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Well Dymock has seen years of what not to do and he can't be held accountable for the head coaches decisions. Bloody hell as if I would run the ship the same way my boss does. I don't know who is the best between Pay or Dymock but TBH I would be happy with either or both to be involved. Didn't Des miss something last week too? Although he (Dymock) says it's not odd, that's what makes it odd for me. Des missing team/club things that he is expected to be involved in. Interesting that Dymock hasn't been offered a contract in any form for next year...waiting to see if it's assistant or head coach maybe??? Plus the outright declaration that he would love the job and is ready speaks volumes.....all this time he has said nothing...until now!

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just re thinking it...

Dymock is either indoctrinated into the cult of desball or he is simply a lieutenant staying loyal. Both have contrasting outcomes.

If he is indoctrinated... then yes, he should go. If loyal... well that is a trait that everyone should admire.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for the record, Earlier before SOO so called experts were picking their SOO team for NSW, Jim Dymock picked Tolman as starting prop for his SOO team

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
DesBall finally over by the looks of things. Just in time for everyone to renew their memberships for next year aye.

On Dymock. Sounds like maybe if we don't get Pay, Jimmy might be getting a shot. And he will not coach or play the team like Hasler. Why would he be so stupid. It will be a new ball game all together I'd say.

CEO gets fired. You're the MD with a shot at the CEO role. Are you going to run the show like the guy that just got shafted? Nooooo you're going to change shit up. Being in new staff where needed and install confidence and new systems to get your employees firing again. FMD some people need to look at it from a business and common sense perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.