James Graham diagnosis

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suspected that this would be the case, as Graham was not one to stay out of danger on the field. He suffered head high tackles almost every game he played for us, and would come back for more.

I wish him all the best, and hope that he can be treated for this.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's no surprise. He would have played through countless concussions or come back earlier than he should have because that's the way they were dealt with then...

Hopefully it doesn't worsen too much or affect him seriously later in life. He's an intelligent and articulate guy, hopefully him being aware earlier of these issues can help him deal with them and help raise awareness for other current and former players.

mountain_dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Not entirely suprised. He played extremely hard. I spoke with a Radiologist friend about this kind of thing quite a few years ago; he said if you did brain MRI on footy players a significant proportion would show damage. I also remember reading a research paper that demonstrated brain changes in NFL players who suffered concussio including those who didn't play professional and also who hadn't had a concussion for years (will search for the paper today).

Still doesn't change the fact that these sportsmen & women put themselves in danger for something they love. The game should definitely look after them when they stop playing.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone who headbutts and chews his way through GFs has issues, still good to have him at the club in 23.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Remember during his playing career he was an opponent to the crack down on concussions, didn't believe the medical research. Certainly seems to have changed his tune.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
I Remember during his playing career he was an opponent to the crack down on concussions, didn't believe the medical research. Certainly seems to have changed his tune.
he wasn't against the medical research, he just thought it should be up to the players as they new what they were signing up for

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
he wasn't against the medical research, he just thought it should be up to the players as they new what they were signing up for
Yeah, he did say some strange things at the time. Probably regretting that attitude now.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Maybe now the fans here that were bagging out Thompson for missing all those games can appreciate that concussion is no joke
This is why I switched off the Origin 3 game and didn't want Souths in the GF. Not comfortable watching any sport if the price for my enjoyment is young men risking permanent brain injury.
It's not new of course. I had a relative who played for Newtown in 60s/70s and his mental health and behaviour became really serious as he got older. We all loved him because he was a great bloke. But his family suffered greatly. He died a miserable, poor alcoholic.
Many kennelers will have similar stories of knowing or meeting ex-players who don't seem to be the full quid. It might be intriguing if we meet them down the pub. But their families have to deal with it every day. Look at Tim Pickup for example.

The NRL leadership is making a lot of money out of a fast, high-impact game. But at what cost?

Even since James Graham played there seems to be more concussions per game.
But it is unlikely Sportsbet, stadium developers or other $$$ corporate interests $$$ are going to let the NRL fix the problem. They certainly seem very cosy with the NRL and the broadcasters. And high-impacts in the attraction for people who don't really understand why rugby league is such a great game. Watching goons like Tallis and Parker talk about how great the hits are makes me sick. They don't all do it but some do. $$$$

I'd like to see Bulldogs fans and the club take a stand on this. Fans certainly need to support players like Thompson when there seems to be a problem. Not question their honesty.

Chris Patolo for example may have already suffered permanent brain damage. Sure, he will pass the NRL's concussion tests etc. But he's only 21. And his NRL career is a huge thing for him. But at 21 is he really in the best position to decide if playing front row for the Bulldogs is the best thing for him? He has a long life ahead of him. And life is better with a fully functioning brain.

My relative always loved to talk about his playing days at Newtown, and Chicka Moore was a favourite topic of course. We had many beers reminiscing. Great times. But was it worth the pain?