James Graham....Champion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
How James Graham gave an 11-year-old boy a grand final memory he'll cherish forever

Supporters for life: Ali Jawad with his extended family of Bulldogs fans. Photo: Britta Campion

Losing the NRL grand final may have been one of the lowest points of James Graham's career but the fearless Canterbury prop overcame his disappointment to provide an 11-year-old boy with a gift he'll treasure forever.
Ali Jawad, his father Richard, uncle Malik and other family members stood behind a barrier of police to clap the beaten Bulldogs as they disembarked their team bus at midnight and, to their shock, Graham headed straight for the boy, pulled a towel from his bag and after handing it over, farewelled him with his trademark wink, before ruffling his hair and giving his famous thumbs up.
When Graham rejoined his teammates, Ali was stunned to discover the bounty that he'd received.

Soft spot: Bulldogs front man James Graham. Photo: Christopher Chan

"I opened the towel and saw his jersey ... it had the date of the grand final printed on it ... and his socks and shorts were also wrapped up in it, too," said Ali, who plays halfback for St Johns Eagles. "It is something I'll keep forever."
Advertisement
That vow was tested minutes after he opened the towel with his uncle Malik "Mal" Saadi offering to buy the battle-worn strip off him for $3000.
"It's priceless," Ali said. "James Graham has always been my favourite player. He's tough and I really admire him. I'll never forget his big hit on Sam Burgess."

Proud as punch: Bulldogs and James Graham supporter Ali Jawad. Photo: Britta Campion

Ali's uncle Mal said Graham's gesture will long be remembered as an incredible act of warmth and friendship by him and his family who are all devout Bulldogs supporters.
"I have seen James Graham a few times because we go to the same dentist and he strikes me as a really good bloke," he said.
"We wanted people to know what he did, it was such a great thing for him to give a kid his grand final jersey. I just don't know if James knows what it meant."
Graham's playing gear isn't the only grand final memory he no longer has in his possession. The Englishman no longer has his runner-up medal.
When contacted by Fairfax Media and asked whether he had either given or thrown away the medal he was presented with after the loss to Souths, Graham replied: "I think the phrase chose not to keep it is a better way to put it."
With Michael Ennis linking up with Cronulla, Graham will come into strong contention to take over as Bulldogs captain. In Ennis' absence, he shared the captaincy duties in the grand final loss to South Sydney.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...sh-forever-20141011-114q6z.html#ixzz3FqMhAEa6

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Another reason why I love King James.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Great gesture by Graham, and once again shows how much he respects the fans of the club.

Interesting comment about the runners up medal though...

I wonder.. where are the Souths articles like this?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need another 16 Grahams. Praise the man, respect the legend :grouphug:

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Wow, what a humble and generous thing to do. God bless him. We're blessed to have such a great player.

Bulldog Bruce

Bring on Rnd 1
Reaction score
My god...what an amazing man! The Bulldogs are so lucky to have JG...let's hope he pulls on the jersey for many years to come!!! :o

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
We have him for another 4 years so far, I hope we give him at least 2 premiership rings by then.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He needs to be added into our legends painting at the Leagues club.

Malla

Reaction score
I think Graham now has an opportunity to go down as one of the best forwards at the Bulldogs if he is given the captaincy. What he delivers on the field and the work he does off it is second to none.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's become my fav player in the game.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's become my fav player in the game.
With all seriousness- he has lost 6 gf. Why would he keep another losing shirt?If he won- then it would have been a bigger story.

Yes though... He is right up there as legend is concern. My current fav player and is amongst my all time favourite- steve Mortimer, terry lamb, el-masri.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Great Story, he has to be captain next year. A true champion on and off the field

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like they havent washed it yet haha

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I am so jealous. This is awesome.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Without a shadow of a doubt he is up there with club legends like Steve Mortimer and terry lamb. This is without a premiership and we still have another 4 years of this machine running around in the blue and white.

so humble, what a great leader of men. Well don't son we are proud of you.
he might not have his family here but I feel our club and supporters are making him feel like he belongs here and nowhere else.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With all seriousness- he has lost 6 gf. Why would he keep another losing shirt?If he won- then it would have been a bigger story.

Yes though... He is right up there as legend is concern. My current fav player and is amongst my all time favourite- steve Mortimer, terry lamb, el-masri.
A few days before the GF I posted something about 7 being significant in the finals... We finished 7th with 7 for and against points but couldn't find a significant 7 to finish my trinity theory....lol... I thought we might have won by 7 but it wasn't to be..:( sadly it was Graham's 7th grand final loss in a row...

Interestingly graham has scored a total of 7 tries since starting at Canterbury !!!

7 completes a cycle .. Thank goodness it's finally over...

Happy days ahead

For readings please call 5555-777777 Wolfmother lol

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could you then explain when I was reading your post , iron maidens 7 th son of a 7th son popped up on my ipod radom play.

Status
Not open for further replies.