Jake Averillo

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think I would rather believe Gus when he says Avo got a great deal with the fins and that's why we didn't resign him. Presumably he is not an idiot and is signing Taaffe because it's a better value deal. I honestly believe we are still struggling with some cap issues. We reportedly have about 2m to spend on about 8 players for next year. That's 250k each. Not real flash.
There's literally no one to buy for next year (unless contracted players, but you can't be holding out for that). 2024 recruitment started last November. 2025 recruitment starts this November.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not including his achievements at the Panthers, He kills it at origin and international level. He is a gun. Aside from Graham he is probably the best defensive centre in the comp.And has plenty of attacking capabilities.
But but but he got run down by dce during origin(who had a massive head start)

so he's a sLuG

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's going to the Dolphins for reportedly 400k a year, if Gus made him a competitive offer (imo Averillo would of stayed for slightly less) he'd still be here imo.
I don’t know what his deal is, and neither does anyone else.
those who wanted to keep him, will tell you $20 would have done it. Those who wanted him gone, will tell you Bennett offered him $1m and a Bugatti.
what I do know is, we made him an offer that obviously we thought, was fair and he elected to go somewhere else for more.
Considering the number of outside back at the club at the moment, and the problem areas we’re still yet to address, throwing unlimited money at a good player just because he’s a junior would've been a mistake imo.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo has been in our top 2 players this year (playing centre) and showed good signs last year after being moved to fullback. If he was complete garbage like someone like Wakeham then I'd get what you're saying (and I wouldn't be saying to keep him either).
Scoring try’s doesn’t automatically put a player in the top 2 players of the year bracket …. there’s a lot more to the game than that, like the try’s he’s let in through weak defence and how he goes missing when we don’t have the ball ..

I think we all really like Averillo, he’s a local junior, he’s been with us through tough times, positional changes and different coaches has played its part, but he’s no rookie either, he’s level of involvement and his defensive issues haven’t improved throughout the years.

The decisions apparently been made for the betterment of both Averillo and the club, he’s moving on, time to wish him well and move on ourselves …

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Scoring try’s doesn’t automatically put a player in the top 2 players of the year bracket …. there’s a lot more to the game than that, like the try’s he’s let in through weak defence and how he goes missing when we don’t have the ball ..

I think we all really like Averillo, he’s a local junior, he’s been with us through tough times, positional changes and different coaches has played its part, but he’s no rookie either, he’s level of involvement and his defensive issues haven’t improved throughout the years.

The decisions apparently been made for the betterment of both Averillo and the club, he’s moving on, time to wish him well and move on ourselves …
I think it'd be impossible for anyone to name a handful of players that have been better than Averillo this year. Preston is the only clear one. I think defence is more of a team/collective issue (I mean seriously no one can defend in our team).

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t understand the perception that we didn’t want to keep Averillo, that we didn’t want him and just let him walk, which is plainly not the case since we offered him a contract. The bottom line is we determined a value and a contract length that we believed he justified and the Dolphins did the same and their valuation and contract length were sufficiently higher for Averillo to choose their offer over ours.

How much higher we can debate forever, but obviously it must have been substantial otherwise why would he, as a local junior, choose to leave? Personally I don’t think $100k per year would be enough to get him to uproot his life and move to Brisbane. $150k maybe enough, $200k now that’s more like it. Then add in the attraction of a longer contract term, say 3 years versus 2 years, that would be sufficient to entice a local junior to move.

Always a Bulldog

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I don’t know what his deal is, and neither does anyone else.
those who wanted to keep him, will tell you $20 would have done it. Those who wanted him gone, will tell you Bennett offered him $1m and a Bugatti.
what I do know is, we made him an offer that obviously we thought, was fair and he elected to go somewhere else for more.
Considering the number of outside back at the club at the moment, and the problem areas we’re still yet to address, throwing unlimited money at a good player just because he’s a junior would've been a mistake imo.
As Gus likes to say he doesn’t underpay players. Sent him an offer he thought was fair and dolphins were better. Who knows what was promised as well.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it'd be impossible for anyone to name a handful of players that have been better than Averillo this year. Preston is the only clear one. I think defence is more of a team/collective issue (I mean seriously no one can defend in our team).
Burton has been better, Preston outstanding, King until injuries practically carried the team on his back for the first 15 rounds, TPJ whilst being a bit hot and cold has been better, Kiraz until injuries was leading the Dally M list .. JAC has played better .. Averillo has been good, he’s scored some nice try’s but he’s not top 2 ..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Burton has been better, Preston outstanding, King until injuries practically carried the team on his back for the first 15 rounds, TPJ whilst being a bit hot and cold has been better, Kiraz until injuries was leading the Dally M list .. JAC has played better .. Averillo has been good, he’s scored some nice try’s but he’s not top 2 ..
Lmao

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No doubt he's been one of our better players this year, the problem is Gus thinks he got a deal we couldn't match. Simple as that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No doubt he's been one of our better players this year, the problem is Gus thinks he got a deal we couldn't match. Simple as that.
3 year deal at Dolphin for 400k a year was easily matchable, I actually believe he would of signed for slightly less too.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
3 year deal at Dolphin for 400k a year was easily matchable, I actually believe he would of signed for slightly less too.
Fact of the matter is neither you or I know what he is getting. You can only assume Gus doesn't think he was worth the money phins offered him and that's what he publicly stated. You can argue that you know more than Gus though.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Taafe at a reported 250k and Xerri on a smallish contract is more than enough to cover Avo. We need to focus money in other areas

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is neither you or I know what he is getting. You can only assume Gus doesn't think he was worth the money phins offered him and that's what he publicly stated. You can argue that you know more than Gus though.
You're doing the same thing, you don't know shit either so why are you on a public forum for Bulldog discussion ?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Taafe at a reported 250k and Xerri on a smallish contract is more than enough to cover Avo. We need to focus money in other areas
Other areas like Salmon, Knight, Watson, SST. Excellent.