News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Because of the club? Or because he is upset that he isn’t a first grader? If he has mental issues then go and sort them out, why try to destroy the club?

if he was pilot with qantas should we be forced to let him keep flying planes at the risk of hurting his feelings???

what happened to the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

this has a stink all over it. He is an adult. He could say no. He could walk out at anytime.

sick of bullshit excuses for shit behavior.
No idea. But rather than guessing who what and where, I'm happy to go with Gus's quotes on this.

And I'm also guessing you've never worked your ass off from probably the age of 6 towards something and then find its disappearing or not what you thought or whatever? When this blew up - he was 21. How many fckd up decisions did you make when you were 21?

And now - his mental health issues are bullshit. Good to know.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Fair point, bad advice 100% but he is a adult and can make big boy decisions like the rest of us..
So, just to clarify, did you ever have to make big boy decisions when you were 21, have some mental going on and from what we've seen lately, obviously have a pretty poor circle of advice around him?

If you did all of the above and made the right calls, well played. But reckon you'd be a minority.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm no mental health expert but I'm guessing the idea of all the talk about mental health is to try bring it into the spotlight so it doesn't get to the point of a circumstance of breaking down. I work in a stressful environment (sometimes) and watched exactly that happen to a colleague. It wasn't the circumstance (in this case telling a range of senior stakeholders to go fck themslves in a meeting) that caused the mental health (in his case, very bad marriage breakup plus kids going through all sorts of shit for years), the circumstance made it obvious to everyone else. Ideally, you get help before you get to the circumstance - helps avoid a shit show.

Guess you missed the point about atrocious advice? He won't be playing NRL in Oz again and I reckon even SL is gone. His footy career and rep is trashed because of a lawyer. Is that the kids fault who's probably not thinking straight?
All great teams push players to physical exertion and sometimes beyond breaking point. This is elite sport. His mental health is a seperate issue and he was mosr lijely suffering prior to the consequence for being late. If the club knew and still pushed him then they are at fault. If he was treated to the standard of every player in the squad with consequences for being late then it is on him.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
All great teams push players to physical exertion and sometimes beyond breaking point. This is elite sport. His mental health is a seperate issue and he was mosr lijely suffering prior to the consequence for being late. If the club knew and still pushed him then they are at fault. If he was treated to the standard of every player in the squad with consequences for being late then it is on him.
I think thats a fair statement.

But even if its on him, what do you do? Smash him more in the court of public opinion? As others have said, this will get settled, it will disappear very quickly and nothing more to it. Topine can go elsewhere and sort his own shit out. Piling on a 22 year old in socials, news, footy show, sports forums is just adding to a kid that may really be struggling. I don't know but if he is, my conscience is clear.

U know me bro - if I put it down here I'm prepared to say it to your face 1 on 1. Now wouldn't that be a great way to have opinion on a sports forum.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
So, just to clarify, did you ever have to make big boy decisions when you were 21, have some mental going on and from what we've seen lately, obviously have a pretty poor circle of advice around him?

If you did all of the above and made the right calls, well played. But reckon you'd be a minority.
OK soooo, I work in a very stressful profession and early 2022 I snapped at work, was of for weeks (won't go into details) but It was a problem with me, work may have brought it to light but it was my mental health that was the issue.
Did I blame work , go on workers comp (stress leave) no I used my own sick/Rec leave got professional help and bettered myself .
His mental health is the problem not what brought it to the surface...
Ps I'm doing OK now thanks for asking .....

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm no mental health expert but I'm guessing the idea of all the talk about mental health is to try bring it into the spotlight so it doesn't get to the point of a circumstance of breaking down. I work in a stressful environment (sometimes) and watched exactly that happen to a colleague. It wasn't the circumstance (in this case telling a range of senior stakeholders to go fck themslves in a meeting) that caused the mental health (in his case, very bad marriage breakup plus kids going through all sorts of shit for years), the circumstance made it obvious to everyone else. Ideally, you get help before you get to the circumstance - helps avoid a shit show.

Guess you missed the point about atrocious advice? He won't be playing NRL in Oz again and I reckon even SL is gone. His footy career and rep is trashed because of a lawyer. Is that the kids fault who's probably not thinking straight?
Im no mental health expert either, but it appears to me like someone shamelessly using mental illness for financial benefit. Bad advice or not.

Last edited:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
OK soooo, I work in a very stressful profession and early 2022 I snapped at work, was of for weeks (won't go into details) but It was a problem with me, work may have brought it to light but it was my mental health that was the issue.
Did I blame work , go on workers comp (stress leave) no I used my own sick/Rec leave got professional help and bettered myself .
His mental health is the problem not what brought it to the surface...
Ps I'm doing OK now thanks for asking .....
So I'm guessing you weren't 21 when this all went down? Regardless, glad you're in a better place.

I did some stupid shit when I was 21. Plenty of others I know did too. And I reckon it doesn't help having a profile and watching it all melt. Its basically the same as what happens to footy players at the end of their careers. Seen how that can work out sometimes, Peter Jackson comes to mind.

Regardless, the kid was considered leadership material by the Dogs four years ago. And now he's in the dustbin with some rubbish people around him. He's got enough problems. I'm not adding to it.

Bulldog Bloke

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No idea. But rather than guessing who what and where, I'm happy to go with Gus's quotes on this.

And I'm also guessing you've never worked your ass off from probably the age of 6 towards something and then find its disappearing or not what you thought or whatever? When this blew up - he was 21. How many fckd up decisions did you make when you were 21?

And now - his mental health issues are bullshit. Good to know.
There are no free rides pal.

I don’t give a fuck about his feelings the minute he decided to sue the club because he didn’t get his way.

Some of us were told no as children.
Failure is part of life.

just to see if I understand this correctly, the same place that nurtured a person, paid them massive amounts of money, should then be sued because same person didn’t become what he wanted to become???
Is he fucking 5????
Grow the fuck up and learn to deal with life.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Im no mental health expert either, but it appears me like someone shamelessly using mental illness for financial benefit. Bad advice or not.
And if you're wrong?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
There are no free rides pal.

I don’t give a fuck about his feelings the minute he decided to sue the club because he didn’t get his way.

Some of us were told no as children.
Failure is part of life.

just to see if I understand this correctly, the same place that nurtured a person, paid them massive amounts of money, should then be sued because same person didn’t become what he wanted to become???
Is he fucking 5????
Grow the fuck up and learn to deal with life.
No fckd up decisions at the age of 21? Good to know.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so IF the club settles....

1. He is currently 22, so possibly a 10 year (250+ game career) career is generous at best.
2. He (if anything) should get minimum Top 30 player wage + 10%.

Another thing... IF this happens, does it then flow on to impacting our salary cap.
Interesting watch. Good to see one at least one of them talking sense and informed

Gees that's a good listen.

Joel talking like an idiot, whilst Magnussen makes a hell of a lot of sense.

I'd be interested to know if the punishment was different, if he'd still be upset about it.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

1. He is currently 22, so possibly a 10 year (250+ game career) career is generous at best.

Another thing... IF this happens, does it then flow on to impacting our salary cap.

I'd be interested to know if the punishment was different, if he'd still be upset about it.
No impact on our cap.

Bulldog Bloke

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No fckd up decisions at the age of 21? Good to know.
Enough fucked up decisions by the age of 21 to fill a novel.

but you know the difference.

I was accountable for my shit decisions.

I didn’t try to destroy those that tried to make me better.

and I certainly didn’t try to blame mental health when I failed.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

If the club settles, its nowhere near that. You are always one injury away from retirement.

Now one interesting thing here could be as a player he should have players insurance through the Union. If he can argue that the training session was what caused his mental health, he can get that payout. If its an underlying condition though - nah.

Not my gig but can see how that works.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Enough fucked up decisions by the age of 21 to fill a novel.

but you know the difference.

I was accountable for my shit decisions.

I didn’t try to destroy those that tried to make me better.

and I certainly didn’t try to blame mental health when I failed.
Exactly. But thats mental health for you - people do things that other people just don't understand.

How is he destroying the Dogs? The money would come from insurance, every man and his dog currently supports the Dogs position. So he's doing this because its some sort of payback? ok.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Elias tries his best to stay relevant.
I think maybe after the way there was almost overwhelming support for the Dogs,when it was spoken about initially , they were encouraged to provide some balance. I was surprised how strongly Elias and toovey opposed Kent and Anasta tbh