News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a shame that this situation has deteriorated to the level where parasitic lawyers try to cash in on the shattered dreams of a young man.
The punishment itself is not, imo, over the top, I've ran laps for being late as a kid. It's part of footy. I remember every dropped ball was a punishment at the end of the session, it used to suck but you have to pay the price.
No one was forcing Topine to be a professional footy player, it's not for everyone. Seems like it's not for him if he's unable or unwilling to pay the price required.
I thought he had the makings of a solid 1st grader, a versatile small forward who could play in the centres at a pinch, even better a passionate club man. Still, it's not for everyone or half the kennel would have their hands up for the 7 jersey.
No one can take his 16 nrl games away from him, but it is a shame that this is the path he chose. He probably could have got another 10 or so games in until his contract expired at the end of this year. Maybe another nrl contract, certainly an ESL contract. I doubt he'd get either now.
Good luck to Jackson, I hope the 'wrestling direction' is the catalyst for him to move into the next chapter of a successful and happy life.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think they used to use peanut butter . . . Your method sounds unorthodox, but equally effective
I can't comprehend how they'd get peanut butter up the horses ass.

I can't find it now. But there used to be a video somewhere they'd altered to the carrot joke.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't comprehend how they'd get peanut butter up the horses ass.

I can't find it now. But there used to be a video somewhere they'd altered to the carrot joke.
No sure mate, but I reckon you'd have to start with smooth before trying crunchy though :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
While mental health isn’t to be taken lightly, this seems completely blown out of proportion and the timing of it suggests that he wasn’t able to get a contract anywhere and has resorted to this.

A bit pathetic tbh

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No sure mate, but I reckon you'd have to start with smooth and work your way up to crunchy :tearsofjoy:
Do you ever wonder if you'll be running for public office one day when your kennel history comes up. :fearscream:

Just setting the record straight. I only thought about this now for the sake of comedy.

But applying peanut butter smooth or crunchy might require something like a piping bag generally used for decorating cake. That'd take away the need to choose on texture.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I don't think this wrestling incident was the cause of him walking out. More likely he's had a growing belief that he's not going to get there, maybe he's seen guys he dominated a few years ago pass him. Guys get handed shots based on natural physicality rather than hard work (thinking of someone like TPJ).

I'd say this was just the culmination of a long build up of frustration. And if the talk of 6+ players complaining about training has validity, perhaps the group of them exacerbated the situation leading up to the day by blowing the hard work out of proportion.

I honestly hope Topine isn't suffering long term mental health issues. And I hope someone sits him down and lets him know this lawyer doesn't have his best interests at heart.
My point is that we have snippets of what happened and an obviously very slanted statement from a lawyer looking for a buck. Yet everyone here thinks they have it down enough to make judgements. Which as you are alluding to and probably Gus alluded to, there's a mental health issue involved here. Awesome stuff.

And this guy up to 3 years ago was considered, in terms of club men, the second coming of Josh Reynolds. Short memories from a whole collective of muppets. What was it again we were? Family club or something? What a fckng laugh.

As for physicality vs hard work - think Kurtis Morrin says hello.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
WTF??
You couldn’t wait to tell us that Bruce Lerrhman was implicated in a second rape.
I wouldn’t even tell you my secret BBQ spice rub.
Sounds true, you would have said something much sooner had you known :tearsofjoy:
I am now traumatised. Thinking of suing, as that's the latest thing to do these days. My basic human rights were violated. :tearsofjoy:

It's because I am a female & Broncos fan that you say this stuff. Lucky for you, that I am not indigenous, as you would be racists as well. :p:tonguewink:

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he was to win this case .. professional sport will change for the worse forever
It was a comment on that Stream above by Weidler... which unfortunately is probably true. He mentioned clubs will have to go into childhood trauma and stuff like that to understand what makes players tick... But I think what will happen is players will need to undergo mental health screening before being signed. A club will need to understand if they have the capability of dealing with a special needs player. Then the lawyers will get back involved again saying that discrimination based on mental health. They could probably argue that the key responsibility of a player is training and playing the game, and if the precedent is set then you could argue that the person is unable to withstand the pressures of the role... Similar to air traffic controllers, and the screening they go through, to justify not being employed.

What will then happen is players will start to hide mental health signs more, that will just have even more problems. Players will commit suicide, and then lawyers get back involved suing for wrongful death... ah this is a slippery slope.

Professional sports in Australia cannot afford this to get any legs. Does anyone know if this has ever happened in the US? Australia is quickly becoming the most litigious country in the world.

Hopefully

New Pup
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what we think to be honest. My cousin is a lawyer and the amount of cases where common sense is thrown out thr window, use of jargons and technicalities they exploit to win a case. Also judges tend to side with employees over employer.

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
weren't people just bagging out robbo for being an epic nonce a week or so ago?
Complaining about referees and highlighting someone's outstanding characters are two very different things. Robbo is 100% correct in his thoughts about Travis as a trainer and a person.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A lot of very tough keyboard warriors in the TK. From what I saw the kid was tough. When he came into FG he often ended up covering for injures and was asked to do a lot of defence and play long minutes. He worked hard in those games, never shirked the work.
I hope the kid can make a comeback into the nrl with another club.
Face the facts he was shit.

He was a defensive shambles last season in particular the Broncos game at Belmore where he didn't even lay a hand on any players, they strolled through untouched. SHAMBLES!

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While mental health isn’t to be taken lightly, this seems completely blown out of proportion and the timing of it suggests that he wasn’t able to get a contract anywhere and has resorted to this.

A bit pathetic tbh
This generation is soft as. As an asian kid growing up here in the 70's and 80's I faced a lot of racism but I learnt quickly to stand up and defend myself when it was needed. It toughens you up mentally and physically and the bullies and rednecks soon learn not to mess around.

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This generation is soft as. As an asian kid growing up here in the 70's and 80's I faced a lot of racism but I learnt quickly to stand up and defend myself when it was needed. It toughens you up mentally and physically and the bullies and rednecks soon learn not to mess around.
FAFO.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am now traumatised. Thinking of suing, as that's the latest thing to do these days. My basic human rights were violated. :tearsofjoy:

It's because I am a female & Broncos fan that you say this stuff. Lucky for you, that I am not indigenous, as you would be racists as well. :p:tonguewink:
I knew you pleading the fifth wouldn't last . . . Now you've let it slip you're a female and a Broncos fan silly