News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
The hair dying so-called punishment has not been confirmed has it? We are just guessing on that being factual as well? Plus it was several months after Jackson's incident. So Knight's (possible) punishment is not relevant to the circumstances of Topine in July last year?
According to the article posted on the thread - the quote was 'he won't be late again to training any time soon'.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
There is a huge, Grand Canyon sized, difference between working in a commercial business and competing in professional sports like rugby league. Employees in the average commercial business are not expected to tackle 100+kg players 30/40/50 times a game running at them at pace. Stop their progress and then wrestle them to the ground. They are also expected to do the reverse and run at 2/3/4 100+kg tacklers 20/30/40 times a game. That requires both physical and mental toughness, endurance and an unbelievably high pain tolerance.

When training, employees or players, the training regimen has to represent what they will encounter during their working day. To do otherwise would negate the effect of the training. From what we have heard from multiple sources there was nothing in the disciplinary action that deviated from the common training practises for NRL players that are undertaken by all NRL Clubs.

Of course this would be considered unacceptable in a non professional sports environment, but such a comparison is meaningless. If I were on our legal defence team the first thing I would do is to take the moderator/judge to an average high intensity Tuesday/Wednesday training session and show them what an NRL player has to endure. That then would give them an appropriate lens to view this claim through.

Always a Bulldog
don't forget they are people as well, it shouldn't be such a gap that we treat them with jealousy and that they should be put through torture because they earn bigger money and are famous

for example someone on here used him playing poker as a negative, as if the player is meant to be training like rocky all the time and is not allowed to enjoy himself

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The hair dying so-called punishment has not been confirmed has it? We are just guessing on that being factual as well? Plus it was several months after Jackson's incident. So Knight's (possible) punishment is not relevant to the circumstances of Topine in July last year?
Was Topine?
Topine was late for wrestling training and was punished with more more wrestling. If Knight was late for a video session or recovery he can't be punished with more of that can he ? Hence a different punishment

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Topine was late for wrestling training and was punished with more more wrestling. If Knight was late for a video session or recovery he can't be punished with more of that can he ? Hence a different punishment
you can punish him with a poor video, for example Titanic: the legend continues (2000) was terrible

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Topine was 10 mins early for wrestling training. He was 20 mins late for strapping before the wrestling. Which he claimed he didn't need.

So maybe he should have been strapped then?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Topine was 10 mins early for wrestling training. He was 20 mins late for strapping before the wrestling. Which he claimed he didn't need.

So maybe he should have been strapped then?
Irrelevant, the team were told to be there at 8 for strapping,no one else misunderstood, otherwise they would have received the same punishment. He was just late. And in my opinion,rather than just being accountable for his actions,like every other player for the last 116 years, he is throwing a legal tantrum

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would the daily telegraph be dumb enough to have a financial input into this case?, let's face it any negative news about the dogs sells

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
It was their publication that made public Topine's name. They are unscrupulous enough to do it

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Irrelevant, the team were told to be there at 8 for strapping,no one else misunderstood, otherwise they would have received the same punishment. He was just late. And in my opinion,rather than just being accountable for his actions,like every other player for the last 116 years, he is throwing a legal tantrum
Was relevant when you thought you were right but now its not relevant when you are factually wrong? :tearsofjoy:

Did u need to be there at 8 for strapping when you apparently don't need strapping? Do you need to be early for a site induction when site visiting when you are already inducted? Not in my workplace you do not.

Did the Dogs say you had to be there for strapping even if you don't need strapping? No idea. But if they didn't, then Topine imv didn't do a thing wrong to that point. And vice verse if they did.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt the club will pursue anyone, more just defend its position until they back off as they haven't been able to settle. I just can’t see it proceeding to trial. Jackson looks like he’s gotten some poor advice to proceed with this in my view and all commentary so far seems to support the club. It‘s hard to fathom it would have played out this way but it appears documents have been filed - where else did the leak come from? I don’t recall anyone calling a press conference. A real mess.
The lawyer is using it as a threat to get a max settlement. I can't see it going to trial either. How does a f..king court decide what's a fair and not fair level of punishment for any athlete in any sport at any level. Who decides where you draw the line. The defence could bring up literally millions of examples in rugby league since the day the game started and also millions from other sports around the world. Punishment is an accepted practice in sports training just as it is also in the military. Even in f..king TV shows like SAS Australia LOL. It's a job yes but sport is different to a normal job. The fact that Topine returned to training afterwards ruins his own argument. Was Topine aware of these practices when he signed a contract to play? 100%.

I watched an episode of SAS Australia where the celebrity contests had to fight each other. No gloves etc. Even men against women and they're f..king "celebrities", not all professional athletes. Topine is a soft cock compared to them even. Did they sue the producers ?. No, it was their choice to be there and I'm sure they also signed waivers. When Topine signed his contract he knew exactly what he was getting into just as the celebs did. That was our waiver

Last edited:

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a joke of a claim these professional athletes train hard it’s punishment for being late mediocre performance has been accepted at our club for too long and cam and trav have made these boys accountable now we turned over so many players over since Gus come on and they simply were the players who couldn’t hack it barring the exceptions who signed to other clubs the nrl has to help us out here or it’s gonna be a free for all

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Clubs never go overboard - Shane Strempel from the AFL.

Walls took his players to a corner of the Carrara ground after a training session and told them to form a circle. He then produced a bag, which contained boxing gloves. Some of the Bears' biggest players, including Alex Ishchenko, Roger Merrett, Matt Kennedy and Cameron O'Brien -- plus Hardie, Michael McLean and Phillip Walsh -- were handed the gloves. After one player finished fighting the bloodied Strempel, a fresh one replaced him in the circle for a two-minute round.

Former Brisbane chief executive Shane O'Sullivan, who is now Carlton's recruiting manager, said he had vivid memories of the incident. ''I wasn't critical of Robert doing it because we had tried all other measures, so something had to be done. I can remember Brad Hardie after about five or six players had gone into the circle saying to Wallsy, 'I think you'd better stop because we'll kill him'. It was something a bit different, that's for sure.'' O'Sullivan said Strempel had not done the right thing by the club.

Roger Merrett said last night Strempel had copped a lot and struggled to keep his arms up. ''There were mixed thoughts about what happened because there were some who were very disappointed with the way Shane was acting. Others didn't like what happened. Whether it was right or wrong I don't know, but I didn't think it was going to bring him into line.'' Merrett, who also coached Brisbane, said some of the players took their frustration out on Strempel.

So what is acceptable?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was relevant when you thought you were right but now its not relevant when you are factually wrong? :tearsofjoy:

Did u need to be there at 8 for strapping when you apparently don't need strapping? Do you need to be early for a site induction when site visiting when you are already inducted? Not in my workplace you do not.

Did the Dogs say you had to be there for strapping even if you don't need strapping? No idea. But if they didn't, then Topine imv didn't do a thing wrong to that point. And vice verse if they did.
lol, what aspect of what i said was factually incorrect?
If someone is being inducted at 8 but start at 830, your saying it's just acceptable disregard the induction, because they start at 830 ? lol in what fucking workplace ? :tearsofjoy:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wonder if it was it his first indiscretion - first time being late?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
lol, what aspect of what i said was factually incorrect?
If someone is being inducted at 8 but start at 830, your saying it's just acceptable disregard the induction, because they start at 830 ? lol in what fucking workplace ? :tearsofjoy:
That Knight got a different punishment because Topine was late for wrestling. He wasn't. He was early. And by your reckoning that the punishment fits the session, what was Knight late for? Hair styling? Waxing?

A workplace where if you have already been site inducted within a set period of time, you don't need to do it again and waste everyones time. You think a tradie gets inducted on Tuesday when they were inducted on Monday? So just about every workplace in Oz that does inductions.

Not having a good day are we.