Jackson Topine appreciation thread

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Kikau must be back very soon I didn’t think he looked as natural on the right but he will adapt. Having a fit Kikau and Preston just being Preston is a top second row pairing.
Or CC can put Topine on the right & Preston in the middle to give us a good defender in the middle.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Or CC can put Topine on the right & Preston in the middle to give us a good defender in the middle.
A backrow of Kikau, Preston & Topine is a Top 4 backrow, at least until we discover/develop/purchase a ball-playing 13 to play like "Yeo" (if that is the grand strategy).
Personally, I think that back 3 can give the Dogs their own, unique style and feeds into the idea of being rock-solid through the middles and on the edges.
I would also like to see how Kikau goes on the right (Preston clearly prefers the left), but whatever combo works best for the team, these 3 together is a very good mix.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Topine played well last night.
He's probably suited to the bench when we're at full strength though.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Topine played well last night.
Yes, he did.
He's probably suited to the bench when we're at full strength though.
I couldn't disagree with this more.
You can play him on the bench for "versatility" (ie to "cover" hooker/centre/backrow) and he will do a job for you (that's what effort players do), but that is not where he is best suited - at all.

His biggest attribute is the 80min all-effort performance (that's why he defends so well). He isn't really an "impact" player (although he'll do a decent job of that too, if you ask him to).

And yeah, he's only 21 so he still has edges to refine before he becomes a complete first-grader, but geez he has "the right stuff".

Morrin is similar, albeit skews toward a bit more impact, but for lesser minutes (still an effort player though). Morrin is the prototype for a bench impact forward we need (assuming a bench balance of two props, a utility, & one impact forward). These are the guys we need to invest time into, even if they turn in the occasional sub-par contribution. They need time in the top grade.

Also glad we saw the "too small" myth (a Kennel favourite) thoroughly busted last night (like it was some kind of surprise - fmd).
Topine is 181/95[21] (cm/Kg) and only 21, so he will put on a few kg's each year.
Other "too small" 80-minute forwards we would kill to have include:
* Cameron Murray: 184/90[25]
* Reuben Cotter: 180/95[24]
* Victor Radley: 182/92 [25]
* Hudson Young: 182/98 [25]

Notice the ages of that list. Now imagine what this kid will be producing after 2-3 years of solid 1st grade experience. (Note: Preston is only 21 as well). And for that matter, Morrin has only just turned 23.

We might have found our halfback for the next couple of years (at least), so now we just need a couple of Alpha-middles to complete what should be a very decent pack and bench rotation.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Topine Played against a full strength Cowboys team last season and .......

last night looked good up against Souths reserve grade

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve always thought Preston has been far more dangerous on the left than the right, and that showed tonight as well, couldn’t get into much good space. Odd decision to move him right since he’s played most of his juniors on the left and Topine is usually a right side second rower. With that said, both were still great today, you can see a future captain in both of them
Preston won’t be displacing Kikau on the left so it’s probably a good idea he starts getting familiar with the right side

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we go on size alone, EKW is taller and bigger!
Swap their positions?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Topine Played against a full strength Cowboys team last season and .......

last night looked good up against Souths reserve grade
Do you have any particular reason for not liking him ? Is it personal or do you just don't rate him ?
I don't see how anyone could dislike his ability and effort tbf.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Do you have any particular reason for not liking him ? Is it personal or do you just don't rate him ?
I don't see how anyone could dislike his ability and effort tbf.
I don't think he has it to make it as a regular first player..

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know some of you won’t like this as the Kennel is a live Topine hate place, but I think he deserves a lot of respect

Topine for 2 years now has been killing it in NSW Cup and has not gotten a fair run in first grade. When he has come into first grade, it’s usually been to fill in at centre for injuries

Yet despite this, we haven’t heard one word of complaint from Topine or about his attitude, and every week whether in the team or not has led the team song

He got his opportunity today and played the whole 80, and even though he only made 63 metres, was a defensive powerhouse with 45 tackles and only 1 missed, a couple good one on ones too. Also made 0 errors

Topines all heart, he and Morrin are exactly what the Dogs are about. They’re smaller then your average forward and that’s what the kennel complains about, but they’re all heart
Yes just the sort of player we need. IMO he should play NRL each week. A couple more larger middle forwards like him will fill our current gaps.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just thinking about Jackson and the stupid comment I made about him yesterday. It was more poking fun at the belief that the club are lying about player injuries though tbh.

Anyway, I miss Jackson and hope he’s doing well. It’s very disappointing what transpired and I feel for him. Maybe he isn’t suited to team sport, at least where high standards are required. Whatever happened I just hope he’s enjoying life. I miss seeing him celebrating wins with the boys.

eman & the Utai SLAM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was just thinking about Jackson and the stupid comment I made about him yesterday. It was more poking fun at the belief that the club are lying about player injuries though tbh.

Anyway, I miss Jackson and hope he’s doing well. It’s very disappointing what transpired and I feel for him. Maybe he isn’t suited to team sport, at least where high standards are required. Whatever happened I just hope he’s enjoying life. I miss seeing him celebrating wins with the boys.
Yeah good call, deep down he must love the Bulldogs but like any workplace its also the people there that make or break it. With the past 5 years its been a shit show, in the 2004 era he woulda gone well and been a great club man.

So where is he literally? I thought he is still in our top30 being paid but on mental health leave. I dont use social media so not sure if he posts. Is he a possibility of ever playing again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Whilst I hope he is OK. I did get excited when I saw this thread and thought he may have left. I don't see how anyone wins,by dragging this out.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah good call, deep down he must love the Bulldogs but like any workplace its also the people there that make or break it. With the past 5 years its been a shit show, in the 2004 era he woulda gone well and been a great club man.

So where is he literally? I thought he is still in our top30 being paid but on mental health leave. I dont use social media so not sure if he posts. Is he a possibility of ever playing again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just feel it’s a real shame because most fans like him and it’s not surprising why. He’s a very likeable guy and really loved the club. It must be awful for him to be hung out to dry like it seems he has been.

We really don’t know exactly what happened but it’s pretty well known that he was upset over being treated harshly (in his opinion) and it’s gone downhill from there. The poor kid probably feels very let down and disillusioned, but the reality is, he may not have had a future in NRL anyway. You’d have to be mentally strong to handle the rigours of professional sport and perhaps he’s too sensitive for that?

It seems that he’s still on the books so would be financially supported at least. Mental health support is a costly thing, so at least he wouldn’t have to worry about not having income, but it would be good if the club actually informed us what’s happening. It’s as if they have just brushed it under the carpet. I’m sure part of that is the fact it’s a sensitive issue and involves a man’s mental health. Anyway, all I hope is that Jackson is doing better now.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think it’s safe to say he will probably won’t play NRL ever again, maybe he will probably end up in the UK.