Ivan Cleary - Will he go down as the best NRL coaches ever?

Is Ivan Cleary one of the best coaches ever?

• Yes he is the GOAT

• No, he is just a normal coach and not in the same class as Bellamy or Bennet

• I am not sure , it is too early to tell

• Ozman

Results are only viewable after voting.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The standard of opposition, especially this year, has been shit. A lot of the teams that have been perennial top tier squads have dramatically fallen away in ability this season.
When the majority of fans can call the teams and the winner of the GF after round 5 you know it's a shit season...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bennett and Bellamy still clear for me. I think he's closing in on Robbo.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The standard of opposition, especially this year, has been shit. A lot of the teams that have been perennial top tier squads have dramatically fallen away in ability this season.
True, realistically our performance is wooden spoon any other year.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Of the current mob he's second.

Ball bags Bellamy cheated lol, so he only has 3 comps the same as Ivan. Ivan has a threepeat.

Trent Robbinskn has three comps, doesn't have a threepeat also Ivan has made 2 more GFs than him

Bennet is the best then Ivan.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Kasiano was not bought on big dollars like Mbye and JR.

choc and cheese
So any coach who buys a player who doesn’t work out is a write off? No doubt he’s made some mistakes, but he’s also coached teams to five grand finals… two of those dudes were pretty young and inexperienced. Not too shabby

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So any coach who buys a player who doesn’t work out is a write off? No doubt he’s made some mistakes, but he’s also coached teams to five grand finals… two of those dudes were pretty young and inexperienced. Not too shabby
Agree to disagree

Argument can be made both for and against hence why I have put it up here to find the popular opinion .

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Agree to disagree

Argument can be made both for and against hence why I have put it up here to find the popular opinion .
For sure, lafam. Everything is up for debate.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett coached and won 7 nrl titles from 10 final appearances. Cleary has a while to go yet, but he is catching with 4 grand finals in a row, and winning the last 3. Who knows he may even overtake Bennett. Time will tell. It’s a shame Gus didn’t steal him away from the Panthers, are team is starting to have a pattern of where our talent is coming from. If only Gus?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funny after 2019 most (including me) thought he was a dud...

3 comps is a big deal.. but it also shows a coach is only as good as the cattle his got..

This playing group at penrith are immense..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Da thang be when in this chat most ppl is like ‘we don’t know how’s he go when he don’t gots d players’
But in Ivan case we DO KNOW
Because he was also Penrith coach 2013-2016 and got tired!!!!

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bennett and Bellamy still clear for me. I think he's closing in on Robbo.
100% I agree with you about Bennett and Bellamy. Cleary is proving to be very clever with players that leave and players that come into team. They still find a way. Wish they could bottle it and send it to the Dogs.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he stays put for next 5yrs and the continue to make the finals, then in my opinion, he surpasses Robbo and will be behind Belly and Skeletor.

Robbo has taken a dive since his back to back years and some players have even regressed. He hasn't really managed to get the best out of players with Cheese being a prime example although only a small sample size of on year.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It took the guy 14 years to win his first premiership since he started coaching.

Prior to his return to Penrith , his win rate was less than 50%. Compare that to Bellamy who has an overall win rate of 69% and won his first premiership after 4 years.

I'm not saying Ivan is an average coach but he's kind of just a cog in the wheel.

I'd like to see how Ivan go without Nathan. Bellamy has been able to take the Storm to the finals since the retirement of Cam Smith, Cronk and Slater.

Screenshot_20231004-073727~2.png

Bellamy

Screenshot_20231004-074224~2.png

mxlegend99

New Pup
Reaction score
When the majority of fans can call the teams and the winner of the GF after round 5 you know it's a shit season...
Panthers were 5th with 2 wins, 2 losses and a bye after 5 rounds.

After 9 rounds they were 7th with 4 wins, 4 losses and a bye. They looked anything but certainties. They even lost to Tigers.

Broncos, Souths and Sharks were flying high at the time. For most the season the top 8 was very close. Even in round 20 the top team has 12 wins. 9th place had 10 wins. Not a whole lot of difference between them. It started to open up a bit after that.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Panthers were 5th with 2 wins, 2 losses and a bye after 5 rounds.

After 9 rounds they were 7th with 4 wins, 4 losses and a bye. They looked anything but certainties. They even lost to Tigers.

Broncos, Souths and Sharks were flying high at the time. For most the season the top 8 was very close. Even in round 20 the top team has 12 wins. 9th place had 10 wins. Not a whole lot of difference between them. It started to open up a bit after that.
While you are correct, we all knew they would still win it.

I guess my hatred of souffs and sharts instantly wrote them off lol