It's not just the Muslims copping it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Check this article out, although i dont see riots & carnage happening as a result of this.

This is still a disgrace nonetheless & those ******s behind that show are going 2 hell.

South Park episode aired despite protest
February 23, 2006 - 11:19AM

Hundreds of Catholics and supporters held a protest vigil outside a New Zealand television station during its broadcast on Wednesday night of South Park's controversial Bloody Mary episode.

More than 200,000 viewers watched the program in which a Virgin Mary statue is depicted spurting menstrual blood into the face of the Pope - six times the US animated comedy's usual audience in New Zealand.

CanWest-owned broadcaster TV Works said it received hundreds of calls and emails before the program was broadcast on its free-to-air youth channel C4, about 85 per cent of them complaining about the episode's broadcast.

The company provoked the angry reaction after bringing forward the episode's screening from its original May schedule date, saying it wanted the public to make up its own mind about the controversy.

SBS Television in Australia has deferred its scheduled March 6 broadcast of the episode because of the worldwide controversy over cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed.

The Mohammed cartoons originally published in Denmark provoked violent protests by Muslims around the globe.

The Catholic Church in New Zealand said it intended to lodge a complaint with the Broadcasting Standards Authority.

"In a secular society some people are not able to understand the depth of feeling, loyalty and love that others have towards those things that make them who they are - their culture, tradition, their religious faith or nationality," church spokeswoman Lyndsay Freer said.

"Freedom of speech has to be tempered with responsibility."

A lawyer for the group Catholic Action has written to the Attorney General complaining the episode was blasphemous libel which breached the Crimes Act.

TV Works chief operating officer Rick Friesen said a small number of advertisers had withdrawn their business but none withdrew commercials from Wednesday night's episode.

One placard held up by a protester said: "If it's good enough for Mary, let's show Rick's mum."

Television reviewers were underwhelmed by the satire of the Bloody Mary episode.

Frances Grant wrote in The New Zealand Herald that the show could have made its point without resorting to vulgarity.

"Surely those who should be offended most are the loyal South Park fans who were delivered at best only a mediocre episode," Grant wrote.

Jane Bowron of the Dominion Post wrote: "Watching the deeply unfunny and frankly, boring, episode of Bloody Mary won't have harvested C4 viewers, for the satire wasn't anywhere near clever enough and many of us were left, as Mr Friesen predicted, wondering what all the fuss was about."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/So...despite-protest/2006/02/23/1140563895459.html

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
FMD im getting sick and tired of the "freedom of speech" bullsht.

You want freedom of speech? What's the difference between a jew and a pizza?

A

atomic_crimson

yes but you learn to ignore... generating interest through protests only encourage people to watch and see waht the fuss is about... personally i would have never known about such cartoons or south park episode if big fusses werent made... and so to alot of others...

D

D0ggyStylz

Full marks to south park for having a great sense of humour. They laugh at anything and everything, the will not single out one group and focus on them.

W

Winston Smith

Dogaholic said:
Full marks to south park for having a great sense of humour. They laugh at anything and everything, the will not single out one group and focus on them.

agree. if you don't like it, don't watch it.
everyone who is against this episode being aired on TV should google this name

Larry Flynt

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dzerzhinsky said:

Larry Flynt
Doesnt/didnt he own Hustler magazine?

W

Winston Smith

IamThe said:
Doesnt/didnt he own Hustler magazine?
correct. have you seen the movie "People vs. Larry Flynt" with Woody Harrelson ???
Great movie.

here is the tagline from the movie:

You may not like what he does, but are you prepared to give up his right to do it?

fighter for the free speech, good old Larry Flynt

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dzerzhinsky said:
correct. have you seen the movie "People vs. Larry Flynt" with Woody Harrelson ???
Great movie.

here is the tagline from the movie:

You may not like what he does, but are you prepared to give up his right to do it?

fighter for the free speech, good old Larry Flynt
Yeah. Courtney Love is a junkie mut.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Dzerzhinsky said:

Larry Flynt

jeez wat a change in opinion, wen the muslim uproar took place u were the first one 2 condemn the danish cartoons.

so u've got double standards then!!

W

Winston Smith

Fully Sik Drop kick said:
jeez wat a change in opinion, wen the muslim uproar took place u were the first one 2 condemn the danish cartoons.

read my posts again. i was definetely for free-speech, but against the western media hypocrisy. i never said that cartoons shouldn't have been published. i did say that i don't agree with the content of the cartoons

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fully Sik Drop kick said:

Agreed. When they stab something that people dont feel personal or in a way "below the belt", thats fine by me. But when you mock someones faith, thats when you have crossed the line.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dzerzhinsky said:
you have the way with words, i tells ya. it's poetry. :D :D :D :D :D :D
I didnt mean to rhyme. Honestly. LOL

W

Winston Smith

JayBee said:
Agreed. When they stab something that people dont feel personal or in a way "below the belt", thats fine by me. But when you mock someones faith, thats when you have crossed the line.
agree. but the fact is they have every right to do it (under the current laws of free speech).
whether we agree with the message/content or not.

if you don't agree with something - don't buy it or watch it.

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
I'm a Christian.

I was brought up a Catholic.

I find this episode entirely offensive.

So, I won't watch it.

I would have burnt the flag of South Park but I couldn't find one and couldn't find Kenny to stone him.

TBT

The Bitter Truth
Reaction score
DJ1 said:
I would have burnt the flag of South Park but I couldn't find one and couldn't find Kenny to stone him.
So you're going to strap a few explosives to your chest instead?

W

Winston Smith

DJ1 said:
I'm a Christian.

I was brought up a Catholic.

I find this episode entirely offensive.

So, I won't watch it.

i'll watch it (mostly out of curiosity). mu wife won't, as a woman she finds it offensive.
don't you just love (domestic) democracy

D

D0ggyStylz

JayBee said:
I don't agree. Something is always going to offend someone. The answer: Stop being so sensitive.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dogaholic said:
I don't agree. Something is always going to offend someone. The answer: Stop being so sensitive.
Religion is held close to people's heart just like family is.

If some idiot is swearing at your mum and calling her all names, will you say "You have a right to say that" or will you be angry/offended?

D

D0ggyStylz

IamThe said:
Religion is held close to people's heart just like family is.

If some idiot is swearing at your mum and calling her all names, will you say "You have a right to say that" or will you be angry/offended?
I wouldn't find it funny but they wouldn't get a reaction out of me. I wouldn't take it to heart either, obviously they wouldn't know my mother to be calling her such names. So their opinion would mean sh*t all to me.

I do not agree that Religion is like family - but that is a whole other debate right there so I will leave it out of here.

South park takes the piss out of religion all the time. I find it funny. This show is not an anti-Christian show - that is what makes it alright in my eyes. It takes the piss out of Muslims, jews (which I know you would enjoy) etc etc etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.