Israel Folau to return for Broncos against Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranks

Waterboy
Reaction score
WITH their season on life support, the hits kept coming for the Cowboys last night, with Broncos strike centre Israel Folau set to rejoin Brisbane's withering title push in Friday night's do-or-die derby in Townsville.

The Broncos could be bolstered by the return of both Folau and prop Joel Clinton, but the news is far from positive for the Cowboys with star fullback Matt Bowen (knee) and centre Ash Graham (foot) unlikely starters.

Folau remained on restricted duties at Brisbane training yesterday but is on track to return from the broken ankle he suffered in round 17.

"It's going all right but I'll have to see how it pulls up the next couple of days," Folau said. "After my run today, I'm still feeling pretty confident but in saying that, if it's not 100 per cent I'll sit out and make sure I'm right. The boys are going pretty good, so there's not a lot of pressure on me."

The Broncos surged back into premiership reckoning after they dismantled competition frontrunners St George Illawarra in Wollongong on Friday night.

A win against the Cowboys would all but secure an 18th consecutive finals appearance, something that appeared a forlorn hope less than a month ago.

The Cowboys are teetering on the verge of finals extinction after they squandered another golden chance against the Knights at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Saturday night.

Leading by 14 points at halftime, North Queensland imploded and coach Neil Henry admitted his side would need to dig deep if they were to corral the stampeding Broncos.

"It is going to be a big challenge for us," Henry said.

"The Broncos have found some form and we have a few guys battling."

Cowboys skipper Johnathan Thurston said his team was bitterly disappointed by its fadeout in Newcastle but had not given up on playing finals.

bronco_legend

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
great boost of confidence for the club
3 great wins and an international player back after a lengthy stint on the sidelines.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
wow a 500k a yr winger loll nah seriously, its good for the club and him, will provide a boost

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He most likely won't make f**k all of a difference because he's just not a very good player. Plus Yow Yei was playing well.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
lol, not a very good player?
Anyway, great news he's an awesome player and having him to the team just adds another strike weapon and x-factor player to the team. Hope he gets a hat trick and the cowboys get raped sideways.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bit harsh mate
I'm sorry but he's just not that good a player. He's a winger. And not even the best one in the comp yet on at least twice as much as every other winger. Very rarely does he make a difference in a game. All he has going for him at the moment is catching bombs for tries.

He should be the next Mal with his size and strength. He has the potential to be a great player but is a mile off that level. He's so soft and uninvolved half the time, plus he's playing on the wing. So rarely ever is he one of the best players on the field or his team.

He doesn't have the impact with his runs of Taniela, Grothe or Manu and isn't as fast as Morris. Not as good as Goodwin either.

The whole reason Brisbane went from title contenders to a fringe top 8 team is because they released half of their team so they could massively overpay Floau to 450k.

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
He's an excellent player. It just sucks someone might have to miss out because the side has been playing very good. Id especially hate to se Yow Yeh miss out. :( Nobody in that backline has done anything wrong to be dropped. Issy in the centres? Ummm, perhaps Winterstein in the centres instead. I dont know, have to see what Ivan does.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
kimlo you're the one thats biased..

He has nothing on guys like Hayne, Tuiaki and hell even Manu, he has hardly ever astonished us with anything except for one his huge leaps in the air

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
He's still a quality player, not everyone can be Jarryd Hayne :p

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His still only young, give him time. Should be developed as a centre over the off-season. Will be great to see him back

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Bowen is out for possibly 10 months.
Broncos will beat the Cowboys by plenty

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's still a quality player, not everyone can be Jarryd Hayne :p
True but he definitely isn't worth the 450k he is on...

Every club would like to have Folau on their wing, however only poor management would lead to a club signing a winger for 450k..

Status
Not open for further replies.