Is Lockyer gone for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickdog2

Legend
Reaction score
With Lockyer still having issues with his knee, the question about his future becomes interesting.

While he is possibly among the top few players in the world, will he ever be fully fit again?

With the player transfer rules that allow a player to back out of a deal with another club if they receive a better option at their current club, I wonder if there has been any thoughts at the Broncos of cutting Lockyers career short and retaining some of their players who are leaving?

I seriously doubt this would cross the Broncos minds, but there are ways of making it happen that could benefit the club.

1- Ask Lockyer to retire with a promise of a assistant coaching job (to make up for his lost earnings)
2- Negotiate to keep all of the players who are leaving because of the salary cap issues (need to move fast, this is the last week!)
3- Next season have Lockyer come back on Match Payments and a $1 contract

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All this talk of his career being over is BS as far as I am concerned.

He is a very fit and healthy bloke, looking back on his career you could say he has been very resiliant and lucky with injuries. His ligament damage will heal over time, it just takes time and rehabilitation.

The problem was he rushed back into football far too soon, he played to the broncos too early - and should never have been named in the QLD squad.

He needs to make sure he is 100% before he takes the field again, prob take a few months out - play the finals if Brisbane get that far and then get selected for the rep team for the world cup. That should be his focus now. Forget coming back anytime soon tho.

At 31, he is far from finished and seeing him before he got injured it looked like he still had a few more years left in him.

Time will tell tho.

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah he will be fine, just needs time. His trying to rush back abit I think, should really of had the first few months off at the start of the season.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

lockyer should grab the money on offer in england and go and retire.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His biggest problem with his knee will be his confidence. He is what? 31 now? His body is on the down turn and to play on he should maybe look at doing a Terry Lamb and not train as much, use his smarts to get it together on the field and play 60 minutes a game.

Just a thought.

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
he has some time left in him...
just needs co properly recover befor being rushed back into the team

doctr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i feel sorry for him. champion player who just needs to take more time off, screw that he is needed for aus and qld teams. heals yourself up first then play

Smiley

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hope he returns to his best before heading overseas to fund his retirement. i wish him the best, he is an absolute champion and one of the greatest ever IMO

Dogs_01

Barba 2010
Reaction score
someome should just shoot him and put him out of his retirement that way he can die as a closet man

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, he wont be joining the channel 9 commentary team, he has one of the grogiest voices in league.

He is very composed, much in the Brad Fittler mould, I think he would make a fantastic coach.

D

DoggyStylz

to retire

1.darren lokyer
2.Anthony Minnichello
3.danny Weidler

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His biggest problem with his knee will be his confidence. He is what? 31 now? His body is on the down turn and to play on he should maybe look at doing a Terry Lamb and not train as much, use his smarts to get it together on the field and play 60 minutes a game.

Just a thought.
I see where you are coming from.
Much like a Jason Smith for the Cowboys a couple of years back yes?

Lockyer has been lucky AND unlucky with injuries his whole career imo. Lucky in the sense he has never got ACL's or anything MAJOR (until now of course) but unlucky in the sense he ALWAYS seems to get injured at the wrong time, and coming back at the wrong time.
I beleive 03, 04, 05, 07 = injuries towards the finals, he comes back JUST as finals start.

no surprises we won the premiership when he was fit.

05 was the year, I think we could have won that if he didnt get injured at the back end. Really threw our season off sync. Derailed.

Anyways.
I've been saying this for yonks, we have ONE more premiership in us with Locky, I thought it was going to be 07 but we all know what happened. I think it has to be 08 or 09. (I think it has to be 08 with the players we are losing, Ennis is the key)

M

mofo sixx

remember his joke about the dogs after coffs harbour, "st george only had 1 raper & look how good they were, imagine the dogs with 13 rapers"

i know its a sore topic but that was pretty funny!

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
remember his joke about the dogs after coffs harbour, "st george only had 1 raper & look how good they were, imagine the dogs with 13 rapers"

I'd kill for a link or youtube vid or something or some footage of him saying that!

Anyone has a link PLZ link it!

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score

he said this: "You know St. George won 11 premierships with one raper... how many do you think canterbury will win with?"

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lockyer is gone mentally, not physically
Mentally? I'm not too sure about that, he plays 40mins a game, pulls through barely, its the next couple of days where the knee starts to lock up and so forth.

It's pretty obvious he came back early to push for rep teams, wrong choice, he admitted it himself.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Lockyer is nearly the end. Still has a lot to offer but he will retire this year or next year

Status
Not open for further replies.