Opinion Is Gus our modern day Bullfrog

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Would rather make this decision in a couple years time to see what results come of these decisions, signings etc. On face value looks great but if our Salary Cap explodes before success then it might look different.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There will only ever by one Bullfrog.

Peter Moore will arguably go down in history as the man most responsible for building our club into the powerhouse the Bulldogs have become. He was CEO from the late 60's until 1995 and without him we wouldn't be the club we are today

But I think old Bullfrog will be looking down, puffing away on a cigarette, nodding in approval at what Gus is doing to get the Bulldogs back to where we belong

Gus and John Khoury are doing an outstanding job.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the youngsters who don’t know much about the Bullfrog, it’s worth finding out what he did and meant to Canterbury Bankstown.
In short we haven't won a GF since he passed away. The 3 greatest bulldogs of all time - Bullfrog, Turvey and Baa.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol Bullfrog always got his man. If it wasn't for him players like Steve Mortimer & Terry Lamb might have ended up elsewhere
After a certain HB for Riverina teared our team to shreds in the mid 70's a journalist asked Bullfrog what he thought of that player. Bullfrog answered "He'll never play against us ever again" and signed him up straight away. That man became our greatest player ever.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
In short we haven't won a GF since he passed away. The 3 greatest bulldogs of all time - Bullfrog, Turvey and Baa.
Correction, Bullfrog passed away in 2000 and we won a GF in 2004.
Bullfrog was the best in the game at the time. No doubt about that. He also had a man called Punchy, who went under the radar so to speak. Punchy help the bullfrog and the bulldogs become who they are. I remember seeing them both on the bench seats watching at
Port Macquarie. I'm pretty certain it was to watch McCracken. Can someone ask Gus on twitter his thoughts on Punchy. Wonder who Gus has as his right hand man?
Barry Punchy Nelson, policeman, club president from 1982 to 2002. Punchy was still around when we won in 2004, we lost him just this year.

The others I remember from that era were the 2 x Gordon’s, look them up on the Bulldogs Life Members board next time you are there.

Always a Bulldog

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The quote from gus a couple of years ago saying “the bulldogs are the biggest club in Sydney, they’ve just gotta start acting like it” always stuck with me that’s exactly what hes doing now, acting like it.
And so did Bullfrog... we need to bring some of that professional arrogance back... no more bending down to the nrl, other clubs, media cocks etc.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
During Bullfrog's time at Canterbury, we won five premierships, runners-up four times. Dogs made the finals 20 of 26 years he was there! Good luck anyone matching those numbers, on average a premiership every 5 years, grand final every 3 years!

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Geez mate, you missed so may great players. We have been blessed through the years with so many great players, but more than that, we had great team players, and until players start playing as a team they will never reach those highs. Watch and learn from the past.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am very concerned at the spending spree just completed.
It will augur well for 2022.
But when a lot of the players want, and deserve, a pay rise in 2023, the coffers will be empty.
Having a few players on short term deals, will help, as they can be moved on.
What happens after that is any ones guess.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I am very concerned at the spending spree just completed.
It will augur well for 2022.
But when a lot of the players want, and deserve, a pay rise in 2023, the coffers will be empty.
Having a few players on short term deals, will help, as they can be moved on.
What happens after that is any ones guess.
Salary Cap management is all about achieving a mix, young players on the way up via the pathways that are "underpaid" for their abilities, experienced club men who learnt the club culture and pass it on, strike players who can win a game for you on their own brilliance, journeymen who come to the club, fill a gap and then move on, back ups who may never cement a permanent spot but can fill in for injuries, suspensions and rep duties, etc. Achieving balance with players but also having them buy into the team first culture, recruiting maybe not the best individual player but the best team players. The real trick is timing, having someone ready to step up when someone leaves, having contracts end at the right time, not too early and not too late in a player's career, having the big money players come off contract and developing or recruiting someone to full-fill their role.

The average NRL contract is ~3 years and with 30 players that means ~10 players off contract every year. In 2023 we have 10 players currently off contract, sounds pretty good to me. For 2024 we only have 5 players currently contracted, which leaves ~15 players to be signed or re-signed in the next 12 months and then ~10 again off contract. Numerically, contract term wise, we are in a very sustainable position. The next trick is aligning the contract values, such that around 1/3rd of the $'s is available for each year, being ~$3.3m available to sign players every year. That needs a bit of work for 2023 but 2024 has plenty of scope to balance that out with high value / low cost developing players.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Bullfrog sacking Gus made Gus what he is today. Gus sacking Ivan made Ivan what he is today.
Ivan isn’t Fucking anything. He’s living of his son and a talented roster. Blokes shown at multiple teams he’s a flop.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Salary Cap management is all about achieving a mix, young players on the way up via the pathways that are "underpaid" for their abilities, experienced club men who learnt the club culture and pass it on, strike players who can win a game for you on their own brilliance, journeymen who come to the club, fill a gap and then move on, back ups who may never cement a permanent spot but can fill in for injuries, suspensions and rep duties, etc. Achieving balance with players but also having them buy into the team first culture, recruiting maybe not the best individual player but the best team players. The real trick is timing, having someone ready to step up when someone leaves, having contracts end at the right time, not too early and not too late in a player's career, having the big money players come of contract and developing or recruiting someone to full-fill their role.

The average NRL contract is ~3 years and with 30 players that means ~10 players off contract every year. In 2023 we have 10 players currently off contract, sounds pretty good to me. For 2024 we only have 5 players currently contracted, which leaves ~15 players to be signed or re-signed in the next 12 months and then ~10 again off contract. Numerically, contract term wise, we are in a very sustainable position. The next trick is aligning the contract values, such that around 1/3rd of the $'s is available for each year, being ~$3.3m available to sign players every year. That needs a bit of work for 2023 but 2024 has plenty of scope to balance that out with high value / low cost developing players.

Always a Bulldog
Once a Bulldog…

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bullfrog was amazing in what he did for the club, he formed a legacy that will forever remain in the hearts of all fans. BUT (and I realise it's not strictly his fault), Lynne IS his daughter, and when the Andersons were in control of the club, they always used the excuse of bringing the club back to how Bullfrog ran it (and her being Bullfrogs daughter).

Gould on the other hand is an astute operator, BUT he's also surrounded by an entirely new board and club lineup that actually seem to care about the club and know what they are doing.

The difference between how the club was run then, at the Anderson era, and now is hugely different.

Bullfrogs era at the club, his way of dealing with things/getting things done, worked perfectly for that era. In the modern day game I'm not too sure it would be as successful.

Andersons somewhat proved this in the way they attempted to run the club.

Khoury/Warburton and Gould appear to understand the changing face of the game, and how clubs are run, and that is what's helping drive our success at the moment.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When Bullfrog was in his prime, Gus was in his late twenties/early thirties when Peter gave him the copaching reigns for a premiership at Canterbury in 88. He left at the end of 89 for Penrith and another coaching Premiership. He also oversaw a premierships at the Roosters and then built the foundations for Penriths current success during his "30 years" away from the dogs.

Gus learnt plenty from Bullfrog and the Canterbury way and then spent decades honing and improving his skills before now coming home to rebuild the club where it all really started for him.

its only early days but Gus may well end up leaving his own legacy at the dogs that one day might be spoken about in the same glowing light that Bullfrog is. ALL fingers and toes crossed.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bullfrog always said you need 6 forwards - 2 on the field - 2 on the bench and 2 suspended.
Guess we have that now with all these forwards we are signing and Hethro and Thommo out for suspension :tearsofjoy:
I think he was referring to 6 props, not just forwards. Also said if you think you have enough forwards, buy one more.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Could be wrong....

But didn't Bullfrog once call a meeting of all team heads to a meeting at a succulent Chinese restaurant...then do a no-show
while signing a young Andrew Farrar...that they'd all been chasing? Gus is taking up the legacy!
Sure did.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I really feel for the younger Bulldog supporters who didn’t experience what we had in the 80’s and 90’s. I was very lucky to be just old enough to see it, smell it and breath it.
I also feel sorry for younger fans who didn’t see our 3 greatest players play.

Les Johns, Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bullfrog was amazing in what he did for the club, he formed a legacy that will forever remain in the hearts of all fans. BUT (and I realise it's not strictly his fault), Lynne IS his daughter, and when the Andersons were in control of the club, they always used the excuse of bringing the club back to how Bullfrog ran it (and her being Bullfrogs daughter).

Gould on the other hand is an astute operator, BUT he's also surrounded by an entirely new board and club lineup that actually seem to care about the club and know what they are doing.

The difference between how the club was run then, at the Anderson era, and now is hugely different.

Bullfrogs era at the club, his way of dealing with things/getting things done, worked perfectly for that era. In the modern day game I'm not too sure it would be as successful.

Andersons somewhat proved this in the way they attempted to run the club.

Khoury/Warburton and Gould appear to understand the changing face of the game, and how clubs are run, and that is what's helping drive our success at the moment.
Like a lot of CEO’s from past eras, Bullfrog might have struggled with the salary cap. Was also very good at keeping problems “In house”, which in this era is extremely difficult.