Opinion Is Burton disinterested?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was one of the first people last week to bag out Burtons trial v Storm but seriously why are people hating on him against what was pretty much a full strength sharks team?

The areas he was weak in last week he improved on this week (night and day with his kicking ) and he ran the ball well and got early ball to his strike players

Look at how how much good ball we had (fk all) and look at our competitions…sometimes I wonder if our fans are actually watching his game properly or just watching to wait for him to fk up

He got us out of trouble a couple times with booming clearances on the last after pitiful 20m and 25m set gains

Defensively he was strong as well

FOH !
They definitely wait for him to fuck up and then pounce on that, ignore any of the good things he's done and say "see, that's why he should be in the centres", or "he's so shit.. We'd be better off with Hutch and Sexton in the halves" which is laughable..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They definitely wait for him to fuck up and then pounce on that, ignore any of the good things he's done and say "see, that's why he should be in the centres", or "he's so shit.. We'd be better off with Hutch and Sexton in the halves" which is laughable..
We would be better.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I was one of the first people last week to bag out Burtons trial v Storm but seriously why are people hating on him against what was pretty much a full strength sharks team?

The areas he was weak in last week he improved on this week (night and day with his kicking ) and he ran the ball well and got early ball to his strike players

Look at how how much good ball we had (fk all) and look at our competitions…sometimes I wonder if our fans are actually watching his game properly or just watching to wait for him to fk up

He got us out of trouble a couple times with booming clearances on the last after pitiful 20m and 25m set gains

FOH !
You watched that game & were impressed by Burton? We wont get close to the 8 if that's the level that Burton plays.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He just isn't that good, yet. And who knows if he'll ever be good at stand off.

I'm not completely writing him off but he needs to pull finger.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because that isn't Kikau's game, why are you expecting that from him? Kikau is a moment's player and we've crippled him by partnering him up with an incompetent ballplayer, it literally makes zero sense.
Yup Kikau has never been a massive metre eater back rower. He's a beast in defence and he needs a half that puts him in space. Burton doesn't do that at all.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
In 2021 the Panthers left edge was:

Secrond-Rower = Kikau
Centre = Burton
Wing = To'o

These were the Dally M Award Winners:

1708919647464.png

It's not that hard to see that a left edge combo of Kikau-Burton-JAC would be excellent. Just play Burton at centre.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
In 2021 the Panthers left edge was:

Secrond-Rower = Kikau
Centre = Burton
Wing = To'o

These were the Dally M Award Winners:

View attachment 103069

It's not that hard to see that a left edge combo of Kikau-Burton-JAC would be excellent. Just play Burton at centre.
No problem as long as we have Cleary and Luai inside him.

Always a Bulldog

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No problem as long as we have Cleary and Luai inside him.

Always a Bulldog
Cleary played on the other side & didn't have much to do with Kikau-Burton & To'o.

Also Burton's best position is clearly centre. If you think that he's a better 6 than a centre than your judgement is terrible.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cleary played on the other side & didn't have much to do with Kikau-Burton & To'o.

Also Burton's best position is clearly centre. If you think that he's a better 6 than a centre than your judgement is terrible.
He may be a "better centre" playing outside Luai and Cleary (Cleary plays both sides, nice try) but would he be a better centre playing outside our 1/2 and 5/8? Personally I don't think so.

Always a Bulldog

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He may be a "better centre" playing outside Luai and Cleary (Cleary plays both sides, nice try) but would he be a better centre playing outside our 1/2 and 5/8? Personally I don't think so.

Always a Bulldog
Easily. He's been a terrible 6 for us.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You watched that game & were impressed by Burton? We wont get close to the 8 if that's the level that Burton plays.
I never said I was impressed I just said I don’t believe you can hate on a guy after that game like play by play tell me where and when he failed?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I never said I was impressed I just said I don’t believe you can hate on a guy after that game like play by play tell me where and when he failed?
He didn't run it enough. He didn't direct his edge enough. Didn't give good ball to the players outside him. Didn't get involved enough. Missed 3/15 tackles.

Is that enough for you?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Easily. He's been a terrible 6 for us.
So what, firstly that's your opinion and even if true proves nothing, he might be even worse at centre outside our 1/2 and 5/8 who are all of lessor quality than him.

Do I need to remind you that Burton in 2023 managed;

More try assists that Munster, more than Luai, the same as Dylan Brown and only 1 less than Reynolds.
The same number of line breaks as Cleary, Tino, Manu and NAS.
More line break assists than Tedesco, Wighton, Moses, Grant, Hammer, Dearden and Townsend.

Not anywhere near as "terrible" as you monotonously claim. You are joining the Marley philosophy, you believe that by making the same false claim in every post that some people will actually start believing you.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't waste your time bro.. If you say he wasn't horrible and still has things to improve on, somehow you're jerking off over him... Meanwhile they'll ignore any good things Burton does or all of the bad things the other halves did and the flaws they have in their games.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He didn't run it enough. He didn't direct his edge enough. Didn't give good ball to the players outside him. Didn't get involved enough. Missed 3/15 tackles.

Is that enough for you?
How many touches did he get in good ball?

From what I saw fk all ball and opportunities, the limited times he gave early ball to Critta and Kikau, he hit Taffe out the back , he took on the line and seen a defender shoot and put a kick in behind which we almost scored from
He put an early kick in 40’ m out that got a repeat set, he kicked high to give our chasers time and at least two times bailed us out of a poor set with booming kicks

I think you need to watch the game again because whilst he’s been underwhelming, the last game isn’t the best example to support that narrative

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

FOH !
He’ll only improve with Critta outside him too, if that’s how Ciro plays him.

eta: You mentioned getting us out of trouble.. how about that 70 metre punt?! Dan Ginnane was going off lol. I always thought if only he could use his massive boot for those sorts of kicks more often. Think he had the wind at his back though? Also, you take a risk of kicking out on the full or dead when you really put some power into it.