Opinion Is Burton disinterested?

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually kicked well last night tbh. Biggest issues remains his inability to engage the defence and give his outside man space.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton is our best spine player, those are the cold hard facts.

Until Crichton moves to fullback that could change the order.
Maybe when it comes to ad lib play. In terms of structure, I reckon Sexton could do a better job squaring up the opposition defense on the right edge to free up our left edge attackers.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It would be absolute madness to reveal all our attacking plays a week out before we play Parra.

In two trials there are far better signs than compared to Flange Jnr in the halves with both Ciraldo & Tbaz as coach. We got played off the park in what where training sessions for the opposition in previous years.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, another game where burton was one of our better players and we find a way to criticise him hahahahah, great stuff
They’re too far gone mate. The idea is in their head and he could play like Wally Lewis and they’d say the same thing. He was our most creative and attacking player last night but out come the same old idiotic comments.

I’ll take Cronk’s praise over a bunch of niffnuffs on TK any day. Hell I don’t need to, I have eyes.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love how Burton is the scapegoat for everything on here.. Not saying he played well but he certainly wasn't responsible for everyone dropping the ball all game either.

He put in a great kick for a repeat set (that wasn't a bomb for once and was a chip kick), put in a nice kick for Fox that almost set up a try, had a good run that almost broke the line. Other than that, he didn't do much and had an ordinary game.. But so did the whole team..

But let's blame Burton for Hutchison, Taaffe etc having shit games and killing a million different opportunities to score..
I agree mate, I’ll be waiting until I see what he does in real games with that quality that he has around him playing for actual points, I’m giving him until at least round 6 to see how he goes before calling for him to go back to centre .. the Burton bashing when they’re mostly judging him on 2 trial games is a bit over the top ..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It would be absolute madness to reveal all our attacking plays a week out before we play Parra.

In two trials there are far better signs than compared to Flange Jnr in the halves with both Ciraldo & Tbaz as coach. We got played off the park in what where training sessions for the opposition in previous years.
Could be right i remember years ago we beat panthers in a trial they just ran through motions and killed it rnd1 we got flogged

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for the Burton haters (the whole forum), take him out of last nights game and do we all of a sudden score 40? People wanting a combo of Hutchison and Sexton in the halves have no clue and somehow ignore all of the fuck ups those players make and the flaws they have in their game.

Mate, most comments in general on here are shit takes but when it comes to Burton it’s on another level lol. Wtf are these ***** watching?! They sound like 5 year olds who have never watched NRL before. No point trying to convince them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Still defending Burton lmao, hope this dumb **** cops a suspension.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Still defending Burton lmao, hope this dumb **** cops a suspension.
You are still coping and seething at the fact Burton is our best spine player.

He is the one guy along with Crichton (if he moves to fullback) who can guide us to our first finals appearance in 7 seasons.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Okay so I rewatched the first 40 mins of the game with special attention on Burton, I noted that he may not be totally at fault here, I think a big factor is Mahoney who seems to be the dominant figure in the direction of the team and Burton doesn't have the voice to overrule him and call for the ball.

Burton touched the ball 14 times

4x Dummy half

6x 5th tackle kick

The 4 times that he received the ball early in the set were mostly quality plays.

4th tackle - Gets a repeat set kicking to the corner

3rd tackle - passes early to Critta who almost gets around his opposite to flick to JAC

2nd tackle - Grubber for JAC/Xerri

4th tackle - received from Taafe and passes to Xerri who runs out of space on the left.

One of the times that he did try to go to look for the ball on the right, Mahoney decides to go left and Hutchinson makes a break where Burton would have been.

It's almost like Mahoney had obsession with going to the right, even the few times that they were set up to go to the left, the ball would die at first receiver with Taafe or Mann trying to step against the grain instead of going out the back to Burton.

I think Burtons problem is that he doesn't have a bigger voice or is still developing the character needed to take control of the team. Mahoney needs to take a step back a bit.

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Okay so I rewatched the first 40 mins of the game with special attention on Burton, I noted that he may not be totally at fault here, I think a big factor is Mahoney who seems to be the dominant figure in the direction of the team and Burton doesn't have the voice to overrule him and call for the ball.

4x Dummy half

6x 5th tackle kick

The 4 times that he received the ball early in the set were mostly quality plays.

3rd tackle - passes early to Critta who almost gets around his opposite to flick to JAC

4th tackle - received from Taafe and passes to Xerri who runs out of space on the left.

One of the times that he did try to go to look for the ball on the right, Mahoney decides to go left and Hutchinson almost makes a break where Burton would have been.

It's almost like Mahoney had obsession with going to the right, even the few times that they were set up to go to the left, the ball would die at first receiver with Taafe or Mann trying to step against the grain instead of going out to Burton.

I think Burtons problem is that he doesn't have a bigger voice or is still developing the character needed to take control of the team. Mahoney needs to take a step back a bit.
I agree Mahoney was a bigger issue than Burton last night

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, Mahoney is a real concern. He's a bit of a loose cannon and constantly overplays his hand
The amount of plays he wastes in the attacking 20 with settlers to forwards that have four defenders on them is so frustrating.. He did it all of last year too..

Both halves, whoever they are, need to give him a spray when Mahoney is doing this.. Even when they had a man in the bin, we kept playing one out..

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton is guiding us NO WHERE.
The anti-Burton brigade have no arguments, it's all hot air and repetition of the same talking points.

Burton bingo = "centre" "can't pass" "flat earth"

When he plays well just double down on the delusional talking points.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

4x Dummy half

6x 5th tackle kick

One of the times that he did try to go to look for the ball on the right, Mahoney decides to go left and Hutchinson almost makes a break where Burton would have been.

It's almost like Mahoney had obsession with going to the right, even the few times that they were set up to go to the left, the ball would die at first receiver with Taafe or Mann trying to step against the grain instead of going out to Burton.

Attack is normally structured by the coach, any player overplays his hand means problems for the player, is Mahoney capable to identify weakness in the opposition's defense, is his overcommitment in defence getting him fatigued causing him to il direct our attack, are the halves barking for direction and control of the attack, are we delaying the attack for a second that feels like an eternity for the ball runners making them easy targets, these are questions needs answering...
If we don't make it right soon I'm afraid it will be another long season :anguished: