Images/Photos

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 104038
Ruins of the Garden Palace in the Botanic Gardens, Sydney, with surviving statue of Huntsman & Dogs - 1882
There's a story to this fire.

The Henry Parkes government was under scrutiny over land deals and routes chosen by the NSW railways, which seemed to go through properties owned by Parkes and his benefactors.

Parkes ordered all relevant documents for the inquiry to be stored in the basement of the Garden Palace. Just before the inquiry was due to commence, the Garden Palace was destroyed in the biggest conflagration that Sydney had seen. All materials stored in the basement were lost.

The Sydney Morning Herald pointed the finger at Premier Parkes, but no proof was found.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 104040
New South Head Road, between Rose Bay and Vaucluse - circa 1956
aka "Heartbreak Hill" for the Sydney Bondi run.

Flying boat base in the background.

I remember watching the trams and flying boats here, when I was a kid. The tram is on its way to Watsons Bay.
The tram depot was in Rushcutters Bay - it later became a tenpin bowling alley.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 103862
Argyle Street Camden, NSW - 1961 vs 2024
I often got a cab ride on the Camden line. It was a real "I think I can" train, sometimes making a couple of runs to get up the grade with a loaded van of milk from the Nepean Dairy company.

Good hamburgers at the milkbar by the station.

If only Narellan and Camden still had their railway.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 104005
Burwood Road, Burwood, Sydney
Trams for Cabarita, Mortlake and Ashfield had to pass under the railway bridges.

When the suburban lines were widened to six tracks, an extra bridge was built on the southern side of Burwood station.
To allow clearance for trams, the new bridge is higher than the other two.

This meant raising the height of the tracks and the new platforms on the "local" line. It is why there is one platform at Burwood that is higher on one side than the other.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 103721
Circular Quay, Sydney - circa 1950
Funnels of one of the "sisters", Dee Why or Curl Curl, at the wharf. You can identify them by their offset funnels - one in the middle and the other to the side of it.

Circular Quay station finally under construction.

The girders from the Hawkesbury River railway bridge construction site, which were used for travelling cranes at Long Island, will be transported here and incorporated into the new station.