Idea for international rugby league

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I am sitting in my local barba shop waiting to get a hair cut.
Srolling through the kennel and thinking about how the kiwis flogged the Aussies yesterday

That kiwi win yesterday should be the springboard to build up interest in international rugby league.

Let's be honest, myself and most people I know can't wait for next year's state of origin to start back up.
And every year, soon as its over I'm hanging for next year's campaign regardless who wins,
Such is the passion for the state games.

It should be the same or higher for international rugby league, but it's not. No one really cares about it.

It's because Australia always wins.

On the back of the kiwis smashing us yesterday, and knowing that if we played again next week they could probably do it again.

That has me thinking.
This is the opportunity for international rugby league to promote the hell out of it.

Get the punters interested in the next game, whenever that will be.

We need Aussie players and kiwi players talking it up and a bit of drama to get fans salivating at the prospect of the next game.

We need to sell out the next game.
Have professional TV coverage and promotions at prime time like we get for origin games.

I think Australia v new Zealand should be a regular fixture every year.

From that other nations will flourish also.

This is a window of opportunity for international rugby league to create somthing huge

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
What is the idea?
Mid season international window?
I’m actually on board with this, with a twist. I do believe in the future international will quickly eclipse state of origin of melb continue to develop juniors and Perth gets admitted.

What I would do is have an origin period window but also at the same time invite Tonga, Nz, Samoa PnG, Fiji and England.
Maybe even Cook Islands and France as an exhibition on the side.
Have a ‘six nations’ set up that rolls over 5 weeks.
So there are 4 or 5 games every week, one is origin and then the 3 international games plus the cook islands and France series. Maybe even expand the last one to have Italy and Lebanon.
Then the winner of the 6 nations cup plays Australia 3 times in post season.
So australai gets a game.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
What is the idea?
Mid season international window?
I’m actually on board with this, with a twist. I do believe in the future international will quickly eclipse state of origin of melb continue to develop juniors and Perth gets admitted.

What I would do is have an origin period window but also at the same time invite Tonga, Nz, Samoa PnG, Fiji and England.
Maybe even Cook Islands and France as an exhibition on the side.
Have a ‘six nations’ set up that rolls over 5 weeks.
So there are 4 or 5 games every week, one is origin and then the 3 international games plus the cook islands and France series. Maybe even expand the last one to have Italy and Lebanon.
Then the winner of the 6 nations cup plays Australia 3 times in post season.
So australai gets a game.
Thank goodness you told me it's @Nasheed writing that post.
For a moment, I thought it might have been @Squirtlevstar !!!

Anyhow, on topic.
Two-tiered International level.
The second tier plays games at origin time in a parallel competition.
The first tier plays at the end of the year, Aus, NZ, Eng, and whoever wins the second tier mid-year competition.
Stops QLD poaching EVERYONE, because they once said the word Queensland in a sentence, as a local.
Stops non-Aussies whining about not being able to play or ceding loyalty to their country, just so they can play SOO.
Builds a regular international system that can grow in time to see more teams join the top international tier.
More money for players, more broadcast money for NRL, more games for us to watch, and more experience for fringe and reserve-grade players.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Any games have to be paid during the season, even if both NRL and ESL take a few weeks off to make it happen. Grand final day is the end of Rugby league year with a big full stop.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Maybe if in the NRL every team played each other once , it would free up about 6 weeks to play internationals

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Selfish point of view, but fuck internationals. Might be great for developing nations to play regular fixtures. But anytime one of our players gets selected I get nervous about being without another player from our top 17.

If we were in a situation where the teams were somewhat balanced in quality, my opinion might be different. But when certain teams might be lucky to have 1-2 rep players, losing one of the best players in the squad can derail a season.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
International League is dead. Always has and always will be.

There’s really 3 or 4 teams battling together with Aus always coming in on top. NZ will win the odd game or tournament every once in a while lulling people into the false sense that international league is a true competition but Aus always come out on top.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

There’s really 3 or 4 teams battling together with Aus always coming in on top. NZ will win the odd game or tournament every once in a while lulling people into the false sense that international league is a true competition but Aus always come out on top.
After that last match, they have to come from behind.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

International league is dead because it gets neglected and nrl shows self interests a bit too much. I get the NRLs loyalty is to the NRL only and not the IRLF but they don’t help where they should.
France needs help and it could grow
Serbia is doing it all themselves
USA had a great chance recently but didn’t get support
Russia showed some passion fleetingly and we let it die
England has always had to battle to keep head above water
The NRL are overly focused on samoa and tonga which is odd to me as these are tiny markets. By all means keep it up with them but why neglect France

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Selfish point of view, but fuck internationals. Might be great for developing nations to play regular fixtures. But anytime one of our players gets selected I get nervous about being without another player from our top 17.

If we were in a situation where the teams were somewhat balanced in quality, my opinion might be different. But when certain teams might be lucky to have 1-2 rep players, losing one of the best players in the squad can derail a season.
By the same logic by all means play as many as possible as this will derail better teams than us statistically