"I never wanted to leave" - Hard to read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Suppose we have to suck it up. We all want Deserae to go, yet it seems the one dude who Peter Moore would build his team around is the one out the door.
Foran will be a bust.
My opinion is to promote your juniors.
Hope I'm wrong.
The junior thing worked in the 80s when we had the base. It's over, we won't produce more then 3 or 4 a generation. Give me Cronk over the junior Reynolds in 100/100 scenarios

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
So sick of the sentilmentality and melodrama that has accompanied this whole thing. At the end of the day he was offered twice what he is worth and it's a life changing amount. He said it himself. Anyone denying him that opportunity is a fool. On the flip side the club needs to go in another direction and anyone expecting the club to pay $900k for 'enthusiasm' is an even bigger fool.
End of the day he was off contract and went to the market. When the dust settles it will be a positive thing for club and player.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
He'll always be a bulldog in my eyes. Good job club, well done dead set f*cktards.
Why fucktards? That's just footy in the modern times!
Players come, players go, whether it's local juniors or not!

I don't feel for Reynolds, the guy is taking away massive money which the ordinary person can only dream of (Good on him), he will still be playing NRL footy and life will go on for everyone!

Thank you Josh for the memories, wish you all the best for the rest of year and good luck into the future.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The club offered him less than he was worth so he would walk. This type of thing happens in business ALL the time.
They paid him more to what he was worth in the first place.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone who is getting irrationally angry at Josh and/or the club over this is a deadset clown.

We offered what he is worth, yes he could have taken it, yes he was willing to take it... but when someone else is coming to fill your spot AND another club offers you basically double what you are worth, how could you resist doing something you really do not want to do?

Josh has a family and a life after footy to consider. This money will be majorly life changing for him.

One last thing, if we are honest with ourselves this is a good decision for everyone concerned. The club needs a shake up, and the best way to do that is with major changes in the spine. Lichaa will go, Reynolds will go. Next year will hopefully deliver us fans a much more exciting and dangerous Bulldogs side.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Everyone who is getting irrationally angry at Josh and/or the club over this is a deadset clown.

We offered what he is worth, yes he could have taken it, yes he was willing to take it... but when someone else is coming to fill your spot AND another club offers you basically double what you are worth, how could you resist doing something you really do not want to do?

Josh has a family and a life after footy to consider. This money will be majorly life changing for him.

One last thing, if we are honest with ourselves this is a good decision for everyone concerned. The club needs a shake up, and the best way to do that is with major changes in the spine. Lichaa will go, Reynolds will go. Next year will hopefully deliver us fans a much more exciting and dangerous Bulldogs side.
For some reason i'm not angry with this news.

silva

Utility
Reaction score

It was the right decision by the club but there's no need for the Reynolds bashing he's been a loyal servant and won us many games.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Zzzzz time time for us to move on now. Focus on the rest of he year ahead of us.

bantam rooster

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
say what you like ,he is a class act for mine he saved the dogs in many a game .

Beldig

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I never wanted to leave: Josh Reynolds' agony over leaving Canterbury Bulldogs

Josh Reynolds has poured his heart out about the agony of walking away from the club he loves. Michael Chammas reports.

Josh Reynolds has stood inside the Bulldogs' Belmore headquarters and watched teammates announce they were leaving the club many times throughout his years at Canterbury.

"I just never pictured it would one day be me," he said.

Heart pumping rapidly. Legs like jelly. Then the tears.

"I couldn't talk. I couldn't come to terms with the fact that this was happening to me," he said in a candid interview with Fairfax Media after an emotional week for the Tigers-bound five-eighth.

"I was scared of what the boys would think of me. My mates, what they think of me is what I take out of life. The way they talk about me to their other friends, that's how I feel I'm judged on whether I'm a good person or not a good person.

"Whether I'm a good footballer or not, people are going to have their own opinion. But what I take out of life is whether the people that know me think I'm a good person."

And so marks the beginning of the end for the man most describe as the heart and soul of the family club.

Reynolds never thought he'd leave and was willing to stay for less money. He was willing to stay on a deal with a shorter commitment than the one on the table at the Tigers. But when people at his own club were telling him he couldn't turn down the offer at the Wests Tigers, he knew his time was up.

"I don't think some people realise that I was willing to stay for less money," Reynolds said. "I definitely would have stayed for a little bit less at the Dogs. Everyone knows that. But when the difference is life-changing, how do you say no? Sometimes it's no one's fault. I know that's hard to say because I'm hurting at the moment, but I'm man enough to be the bigger man.

"I don't hate the Dogs. How can I hate the club that's given me everything I have in life and helped me set up my future and the future of my kids one day? The Dogs have given me so much in my life. Really, they've given me everything. People have been saying to me I thought you were a Bulldog through and through. I am a Bulldog through and through. It just didn't work out that way."

Ultimately, Reynolds' time at Canterbury is up because of the impending arrival of Kieran Foran.

For so many years, the promise of Foran's arrival at Belmore has kept Reynolds second-guessing his position at the club. This time, he knew the threat was real.

I definitely would have stayed for a little bit less. But when the difference is life-changing, how do you say no?

Josh Reynolds
"I've always heard it for a long time and brushed it off, but now that it has finally happened, it does hurt a bit because he's coming to the club I love, and I would have loved to have stayed," Reynolds said.

"He is a great player. It just sucks that I can't be there to see it through. I can't be angry at the club. I don't want the fans, my friends or my family to be angry at the club.

"When I heard they might be signing him I was a bit scared because I wasn't sure how I was going to fit in. The thing with buying someone else, the reality is that someone is going to have to go and I really didn't think that was going to be me. I really wanted to stay. I want people to know that I wanted to stay. But I also want people to know the Bulldogs didn't push me out."

Reynolds' legacy at the Bulldogs will be as one of the most passionate players the club has ever produced. A Canterbury junior who recognised his own shortcomings, but made up for it with a relentless desire to win. He has helped the club to reach two grand finals, falling short on both occasions. And at a club that deems anything short of the premiership as failure, change was always on the horizon.

"We've had a really good team for six years but we still haven't won the comp," Reynolds said. "Whether they needed a change and I was the person that needed to go, I'm not sure. We should have won a comp. That's me being me and telling the truth. Is it my fault? Maybe I've got a bit to do with it. I don't know.

"We've been so close, but not close enough. But I don't think I'm being pushed out because I couldn't help the club win a comp. In the end I'm just another number. There will be another local coming through that will do anything for that club. It's just how footy goes. I hate that I have to leave, but it's a decision that I had to make."

This is his club. This is his family's club. So much so his mother works at the club's merchandise store.

So, the hardest part about walking away from the Bulldogs was telling the woman closest to him everything was about to change.

"It was so hard to look my mum in the eye," Reynolds said. "We've been at this club together 14 years. She's a Bulldog as well.

"When I told her, you'd think she had just seen a ghost. Just before I left on the day I told the boys, she broke down. That killed me.

"It just shows you what footy does and what this club means to me and my family. It's not just about you. It's everything. This was the hardest decision of my life."

His days might be numbered, but his motivation won't waiver. Reynolds doesn't want to leave the club with unfinished business and has made a vow to his teammates that he will turn his final year at the club into something special.

"I told them I wasn't done with yet," he said. "I want to finish on a high. I owe it to them. I owe it to the club and I owe it to myself."

*Read Saturday's The Sydney Morning Herald to find out how Ivan Cleary convinced Josh Reynolds to join the Wests Tigers*

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ving-canterbury-bulldogs-20170427-gvu30p.html
Sad story Josh....

the first thing I did was sing "Ding Dong the Witch is dead" when I heard he was leaving.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For some reason i'm not angry with this news.
You are heartless.

Didn't the I didn't want to leave SOB story bring a tear to your eye.

OH wait, wrong player. Carry on.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
1. Not for you, me, or Blue and white blood. Unless you are actually Ray Moujalli posting on the lowdown.
2. Isnt it? then fuck Josh mustnt like us too much because he had the choice to stay for half a mil a year. He must like the tigers more if it isnt about the money.
I'm sure you'll find our CEO Des Hasler (yes, you read that correctly) would've wanted to offload him for some unknown reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.