News 'I haven't done anything wrong': Phil Gould to challenge $20,000 NRL fine

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Another way of looking at all this is, players get fined for rule breaches. Coaches get fined for speaking out in post press conferences . Admin also now receive penalty breaches. Why not for every error an official makes or the bunker gets wrong, a fine is implemented and put in a kitty until the end of the year. On grand final night all proceeds of error go out to the football clubs for a free feed and piss up for the fans?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Another way of looking at all this is, players get fined for rule breaches. Coaches get fined for speaking out in post press conferences . Admin also now receive penalty breaches. Why not for every error an official makes or the bunker gets wrong, a fine is implemented and put in a kitty until the end of the year. On grand final night all proceeds of error go out to the football clubs for a free feed and piss up for the fans?
Here a fine. There a fine. Everybody needs to pay a fine.
That's fine by me.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Newscorpse have the current NRL leadership in their pocket.

If it was Gallop etc., and we were experiencing this much discontent with the NRL etc., then the Murdoch press would be baying for blood to get them out as they have already done previously.
The problem started during the Super League ARL war when the caretakers (the managements) of the ARL the NSW and the QLD rugby league were bought and bribed by Murdoch and Packer, ever since we've had no one but their puppets running the game, now you can add the gambling institutions to that list of thieves.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does this mean Gus is over the Nrl’s probing or back for more ?

I do laugh at the headlines though .. Gus‘s brutal rant ..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It seems like the probing is just making him angrier...
More poking and plodding than probing going on with NRLol....they've poked the bear and some egg on faces coming up lol when Gus gets to m
make them justify the fine and the accusation of disrespecting the game lol.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He knows it would be buzz stirring the pot here so he can’t back down

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately he is part of the club and has criticized the establishment, he might be able to get out of it by saying he was representing the media at the time

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately he is part of the club and has criticized the establishment, he might be able to get out of it by saying he was representing the media at the time
Let’s get this straight … Gus has 2 job’s, one is GM of the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs, the other he is a commentator of rugby league for channel 9 .. I don’t even think he’s employed by the Nrl ..

At the time, he was on his regular TV program doing his job commenting on all things rugby league, he did not use his position at channel 9 to push any Bulldogs driven agenda .. he was asked about the Api no try and he voiced his opinion, he said it was stupid that it wasn’t allowed (which 99% of people would agree is correct) .. he went on to say it comes off the back of rule changes which are stupid and that our game is stupid because there’s rule changes that just don’t make any sense… ( again 90% of people agree with him) this is nothing new, fans and commentators have been ranting on about it for years, and the adjudication in games on the weekend was the perfect example of why ..

If you watch most rugby league TV programs there‘s plenty of commentators saying that call was stupid, that was dumb, calling out things that are wrong with the game .. it happens while they’re commenting the game live and on most Radio shows ..

‘’there’s no laws about having multiple jobs, and Gould is paid to give his opinion, and he expressed it … end of story, except for those with an agenda .. it was one of the first things out of Brothfield’s mouth last week when he got on 360 .. I’m sure he’s writing emails to anyone who’ll listen ..

in my opinion Gus has nothing to answer for ..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Let’s get this straight … Gus has 2 job’s, one is GM of the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs, the other he is a commentator of rugby league for channel 9 .. I don’t even think he’s employed by the Nrl ..

At the time, he was on his regular TV program doing his job commenting on all things rugby league, he did not use his position at channel 9 to push any Bulldogs driven agenda .. he was asked about the Api no try and he voiced his opinion, he said it was stupid that it wasn’t allowed (which 99% of people would agree is correct) .. he went on to say it comes off the back of rule changes which are stupid and that our game is stupid because there’s rule changes that just don’t make any sense… ( again 90% of people agree with him) this is nothing new, fans and commentators have been ranting on about it for years, and the adjudication in games on the weekend was the perfect example of why ..

If you watch most rugby league TV programs there‘s plenty of commentators saying that call was stupid, that was dumb, calling out things that are wrong with the game .. it happens while they’re commenting the game live and on most Radio shows ..

‘’there’s no laws about having multiple jobs, and Gould is paid to give his opinion, and he expressed it … end of story, except for those with an agenda .. it was one of the first things out of Brothfield’s mouth last week when he got on 360 .. I’m sure he’s writing emails to anyone who’ll listen ..

in my opinion Gus has nothing to answer for ..
Gould has an official capacity at the Bulldogs, whilst he is employed by us he is included in our Football Operations Salary (soft) Cap which is partially funded by the NRL Grant, which also covers the Players Salary Cap. As such the NRL will claim he is covered by the not "Bringing the Game into Disrepute" obligation. Hence they believe that they can fine him, like they do with coaches after negative press conferences etc.

The problem for the NRL is that Gould has multiple jobs and they can't stop that, obviously his contract with us doesn't preclude his media work. In those roles he has to have the right to commentate, that is his job. I don't see how the NRL can demand that he only makes "positive comments", that would amount to unlawful censorship.

As I said in a previous post, this is going to get interesting.

Always a Bulldog

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
They make one out decisions on rule changes without any consultation with the the clubs or fans. They need to know who actually makes the game a success. The people sitting in NRL headquarters are a very small part with egos that extend past their role.
That’s not quite true mate. Of course egos are involved as with any sport (and most boardrooms).

However the NRL has their ‘Innovation Committee’ who are responsible for recommending rule changes to the ARLC who then has to adopt them (or not).

Present and past members are representative of the game from players and coaches to referees and administrators. Current and former members include Wayne Pearce, Troy Grant (former NSW Deputy Premier and IRL Chair), Ricky Stuart, Craig Bellamy, Luke Keary, Damien Cook, Paul Green (RIP), Ivan Cleary, Trent Robinson, Greg Hartley and others. There is a lot of dialogue between the committee, the RLPA and clubs.

So yeah, it’s fair to say there’s been a lot (maybe too many) rule changes in recent seasons but it’s not just say V’Landys dick measuring - there’s much more to it than that. If there wasn’t - don’t you think there would’ve been more pushback from stakeholders if they didn’t know/agree about changes? You can be pretty much guaranteed there would’ve been.

Last edited: