Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

MANLY'S champion NRL forward Anthony Watmough helped to save the life of teammate Steve Matai by lying over his unconscious body as they were kicked and punched by a group of thugs.

After a brutal bashing on the Northern Beaches, both Sea Eagles stars were taken by ambulance to Mona Vale Hospital for treatment.

Police last night indicated it was an unprovoked assault outside Matai's Beacon Hill home at 1.30am on Sunday involving at least three Polynesian men, but possibly as many as eight.

Watmough, who was waiting for a taxi, was hailed a hero yesterday for throwing his body over his stricken teammate as he was lying unconscious and being kicked and stomped by the gang.

"It was very scary and I was worried for Skivvy's (Matai's) life because he wasn't moving," Watmough said.

"I have no idea why it happened or who they were.

"The area is on a main road not in some back alley. I'm just grateful we are both OK.

"I want to make it clear we didn't retaliate or provoke the attack and we are happy to co-operate with police to aid them in their investigation."

The two players went to Matai's house after a night out on the Northern Beaches. Watmough left to get his taxi when he was approached by the group. Matai went to his aid and was "king hit" from behind.

Police said three men were involved in the attack but the players and a witness believe it was a gang of up to eight.

"I saw my attacker coming but not the punch," Matai said, "After that I can't remember a thing. I came good in hospital.

"I'm grateful Choc did what he did. It was a cowardly attack. One would think you are safe in front of your home but unfortunately that wasn't the case. I was out for a long time and I'm feeling like I've been run over by a bus."

The players reported the attack to club officials when they were released from hospital. They were too sick to train yesterday.

Although both players have had their share of off-field dramas over the years, Manly CEO Graham Lowe was convinced they did nothing wrong on this occasion. "The Manly club has conducted a thorough investigation into the incident and co-operated fully with the police," he said.

"The police have kept us informed throughout and assured us they are investigating an unprovoked attack.

"I'm proud of the way they refused to inflame the situation. They had enjoyed a quiet night out in each others company and were attacked within a few metres of one of their homes."

NRL boss David Gallop was told of the attack in a phone call from Lowe on Sunday afternoon.

"It's a concern if it's right what police are saying that it was an unprovoked attack and two players have suffered serious injuries," Gallop said.
Ah, so it was a gay bashing. Now it makes sense.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Usually I can find humour in other clubs woes - but this one I can't.

It's wrong on so many levels.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I eagerly await the other side of the story.

Sorry but with such an on/off field history to these guys, to me it's about as believable as Greg Bird claiming he was protecting Katie by glassing her face.

I'm sure there is MUCH more to this than meets the (black) eye.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Tbh i reckon they both hit the drinks hard and Choc was walking steve home and as the cab pulled up to go get choc all these crazy people come running out of the bushes and matai see's them and try's to back choc up but get's king hit from behind and then choc had no chance against 8 of them so he just lied on the ground next to matai while he got his head kicked in badly.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Yesterday I said I was dubious of Watmough knowing his past - I completely and unreservedly retract that statement !

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Sorry but with such an on/off field history to these guys, to me it's about as believable as Greg Bird claiming he was protecting Katie by glassing her face.

Totally agree, there must be more to this. Why would you not call a taxi from inside then wait (inside) until it arrives

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Manly have cleared them of any wrong doing. If there is another side of the story it wont be heard.

btw mitch i lolled at your original comment! haha

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
well, i cant feel sorry for that peice of s**t Watmough. all i have to say is karma.

Watmough - now u got something to talk about with that sponsor u knocked out last year. i wonder how he and his daughter are feeling today.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I feel for guys like Watmough "at times"

He cant even cop a break from League fans, imagine how much shiit he must cop when he goes out.

Whats so hard to believe. These guys prob dont like Manly, or thought it would be "fun" to bash to footy players.

It happened in front of their house, maybe Matai cut em off in traffic or sumtin and these guys got cut,

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
I feel for guys like Watmough "at times"

He cant even cop a break from League fans, imagine how much shiit he must cop when he goes out.

Whats so hard to believe. These guys prob dont like Manly, or thought it would be "fun" to bash to footy players.

It happened in front of their house, maybe Matai cut em off in traffic or sumtin and these guys got cut,
maybe ur right... maybe they are innocents in THIS PARTICULAR INCIDENT... but to earn a reputation that sticks, good or bad, you have to have done something, not just once either.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Potentially payback for Watmough's incident with that guy from Delmerge's daughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.