News I’ve learnt more in 12 weeks than the last five years’: Reynolds hails Ciraldo effect

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve learnt more in 12 weeks than the last five years’: Reynolds hails Ciraldo effect
Christian Nicolussi
February 11, 2023 — 7.05pm
Josh Reynolds has lost count of how often someone has come up to him at pre-season training and asked: “Who says you can’t teach an old Dog new tricks?”

Reynolds, 33, says it is easy to learn when listening to rookie head coach Cameron Ciraldo.

NRL star's son's amazing moment with Indigenous team
1:57
NRL star's son's amazing moment with Indigenous team

Cody Walker's son had a special moment with the Indigenous team ahead of the NRL All Stars game.

“I can honestly say I’ve learnt a lot more in the last 12 weeks than I have the last five years, and that’s [because of] ‘Ciro’ [Ciraldo],” Reynolds said. “His attention to detail is like nothing I have ever seen.

“I was having a chat to one of the younger boys this week, and I told them, ‘Stay here as long as you can and learn as much as you can, because if I was 17 and coming into this squad, it would have helped my game a lot’.

“I’ve learnt about little areas in defence. I didn’t realise how much my movement could help or hinder the people inside and outside me. Ciro shows you that.

Josh Reynolds pulls on Canterbury colours for the first time in 1988 days on Sunday.
Josh Reynolds pulls on Canterbury colours for the first time in 1988 days on Sunday.Kate Geraghtynone
“I had a bad habit of not using my left shoulder, but the way I stand now, it feels a lot more comfortable ... I can see why Penrith have been so good defensively for a few years.”

Reynolds, affectionately known as “Grubby”, will wear Bulldogs colours for the first time in 1988 days when he starts at five-eighth against Canberra in the first trial on Sunday. Expect some emotional scenes before kick-off in Moruya.

Ciraldo said this week he could not recall meeting a player with such a love for a club. Reynolds didn’t think he’d be back after stints with Wests Tigers and Hull FC.

He is treating every day at the club as a bonus, as Benji Marshall did when the welcome mat was surprisingly rolled out by the Tigers for his return in 2018.

Reynolds’ energy off the bench in the No.14 jersey is a great option for Ciraldo. He could even start at halfback, alongside Matt Burton, if he continues to work hard and put pressure on Kyle Flanagan.

Bulldogs head coach Cameron Ciraldo at Belmore Sportsground.
Bulldogs head coach Cameron Ciraldo at Belmore Sportsground.Louie Douvisnone
Reynolds was quick to dismiss such talk, saying Flanagan deserved a shot at directing the Bulldogs around the park.

“I want what’s best for this team,” Reynolds said. “It’s Kyle’s jersey right now. He deserves a crack, and if there’s any way I can help him be better in that jersey, I will.

Related Article

Luke Keary feels fresh and is loving his left-edge combination with Joseph Suaali’i
“It’s not about Josh Reynolds any more. It’s about me making this club a better place.

“The way Flanno has been portrayed – when I met him I was like, ‘Is this the same guy?’ He’s had a cracking pre-season, he’s confident and I think he will shut a lot of people up. He’s also got good people around him who are backing him.

“I want to see these boys here for many years. I want to be here for many years, in the background, knowing I’ve helped out this team in some way.”

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good particularly the stuff about defensive techniques.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Typical go to guy for the media. Certain star players give nothing, as genuinely don’t like the media and let their playing do the talking. Then u have a bloke like this. No disrespect yet it’s clear to me the media will target him as he can’t shut up. Hopefully in hindsight it takes attention away from the playing roster

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Learnt more in 12 weeks than 5 years?

Lol - not surprised.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh handles the media very well, I'd prefer him taking up the major portion of our media commitments and let the rest of the boys concentrate on footy... not having to worry about the upcoming or previous interview.

Not to mention I love having him back at the club in any capacity.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like it when he kicks chairs, don't mess with an Italian, Ciraldo making the right moves.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“I’ve learnt about little areas in defence. I didn’t realise how much my movement could help or hinder the people inside and outside me. Ciro shows you that.

Good hopefully now he wont run sideways so much.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah but your home on the lounge as a young fella on a Saturday night. That’s your highlight
Technically I'm at a work desk.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@GA45 I'm not even young anymore btw. For example my ankles hurt in the morning when I get up and I have to carefully walk around until they warm up without hurting myself.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@GA45 I'm not even young anymore btw. For example my ankles hurt in the morning when I get up and I have to carefully walk around until they warm up without hurting myself.
Don’t tell me a furphy young fella

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People say thbat Josh has been on holidays for the past 5 years must have been one hell of a trip :grinning:

I don't mean to trip rivals: Josh Reynolds
Aug 5, 2016

Josh Reynolds wants his habit of tripping to stop as much as anyone else.
But he is at a loss to know how to make it go away.
The Canterbury five-eighth has been charged with tripping four times in two years after an incident with St George Illawarra's Joel Thompson last Friday night.
And Reynolds admitted he hated the play as much as the next person.
"I ask people how you get rid of it," Reynolds told Sky Sports Radio's Big Sports Breakfast.

Let's hope he gets that out of his game...with that said welcome back Josh.

Last edited: