Hunt ruled out and Hodges in doubt for Broncos NRL clash with Manly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunt ruled out and Hodges in doubt for Broncos NRL clash with Manly
By Wayne Heming
May 09, 2009 Brisbane Broncos coach Ivan Henjak has lost fullback Karmichael Hunt, while centre Justin Hodges is in doubt, ahead of Sunday's NRL match against Manly at Suncorp Stadium.

Hunt is battling a deep thigh cork and may even be a week or two away from playing again.

Brisbane have four players: Hodges, skipper Darren Lockyer, winger Israel Folau and City Origin halfback Peter Wallace backing up from Friday night representative duties.

Hodges made a successful two-try comeback for the Kangaroos in Australia's 38-10 Test win over New Zealand while Wallace all but confirmed his selection in NSW's Origin side with a man-of-the-match performance in Orange.

Henjak is banking on Lockyer, Wallace and Folau playing but concedes Hodges, who has a "tight" hamstring, is in doubt.

The Sea Eagles are in a similar boat with six players backing up from representative duty.

Henjak trained without his four stars on Saturday and said he would finalise his side after the representative quartet had a light run tomorrow morning.

"Hodgo has a tight hammy, I guess you could say he is in a bit of doubt," Henjak said.

"Karmichael obviously didn't get through this morning either."

18-year-old rookie Gerard Beale trained in Hunt's position today and is poised to make his first grade debut.

Another youngster, Alex Glenn, called into Kiwi camp before the Test as their 18th man, trained in Hodges right centre spot.

Former Dragon Tom Hewitt, who hasn't made an appearance for Brisbane since joining them in 2008, trained on the wing.

Henjak appears concerned about putting too much stress on his 32-year-old skipper or Hodges with a big Origin campaign just around the corner.

"I don't want to put anyone at risk of injury, we're all worried about burnout.

"The demands on players now days is greater than ever.

"Guys that have been playing 13, 14 years in the NRL, it's a real risk for them and we're very conscious of that."

Manly, bottom of the ladder, don't have the luxury of being able to rest players and another loss on Sunday could just about kill off their season.

"They're not that far out of the eight, only a couple of wins,'' Henjak said.

"They're searching for confidence and some motivation to kick on and we certainly don't want to be the team that plays them back into form.''

Pa-28

Bring back the BIFF!!!
Reaction score
Doesn't matter because Stewarts out. So manly lose.

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think manly are in for a chance this game. With hunt and hodges out they will get confidence out of it.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
nah manly's attack is crap without stewart

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Give Hodges a rest, try Folau in the centres.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Folau in the right centre or fullback he was their last week, so maybe henjak wants him to play fullback.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
haha, aren't you a genius :p
hodges best centre in the game, hunt best fullback in the game but really it's no excuse, the broncos were either very tired or simply had no enthusiasm, no suprise, broncos usually lose against teams coming last, bulldogs last year is another example lol. Then again torso tries & incompetent video refs help.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, aren't you a genius :p
hodges best centre in the game, hunt best fullback in the game but really it's no excuse, the broncos were either very tired or simply had no enthusiasm, no suprise, broncos usually lose against teams coming last, bulldogs last year is another example lol. Then again torso tries & incompetent video refs help.
LOL. Slater or Stewart would be the best. Karmichael not far behind

Hodges was a big loss but it was good to see Folau in the centres. Broncos lost because they simply got fatigued. That's why you should spend your salary cap on fit forwards rather than a 400K winger :grinning:.

I must say I like Palmer Wapau.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
LOL. Slater or Stewart would be the best. Karmichael not far behind

Hodges was a big loss but it was good to see Folau in the centres. Broncos lost because they simply got fatigued. That's why you should spend your salary cap on fit forwards rather than a 400K winger :grinning:.

I must say I like Palmer Wapau.
I know you're not a fan of hunt, they're all very good fullbacks anyway, and I would happily have any one of them in my team, I think hunt does more than slater for the team though, slater is a better individualist but as an overall package hunt has more value IMO.
Wapau is still adjusting to frist grade, but i'm a fan :grinning:

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you're not a fan of hunt, they're all very good fullbacks anyway, and I would happily have any one of them in my team, I think hunt does more than slater for the team though, slater is a better individualist but as an overall package hunt has more value IMO.
Wapau is still adjusting to frist grade, but i'm a fan :grinning:
wapau is a late debutant tbh. Shame, hes a good player

Status
Not open for further replies.