Hughes remembers nude dude days

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
COREY Hughes will never forget those days when anyone who ran last at Belmore lost their gear. No excuses. No exceptions.

Finish at the tail of a sprint. Get nude. Part of the losing touch team. Get Nude. Beaten in a 400m run because someone was pulling at your singlet. Who cares, nude up champ.

"And then you'd have to cross the field doing A skips too,'' Hughes laughs. "These big, high knee lifts that . . . well, it's an image not easily forgotten.''

This was supposed to be a yarn screaming bloody vengeance. Of Corey 'Smacka' Hughes staring down the club that punted his old man. Pushed him too. A franchise that dined for some 40 years on a family dynasty . . . only to fine him $10,000 for defending it.

The Hatfields and McCoys have nothing on this lot. Uncle Mark walking out on the club. Uncle Graeme now filing for defamation. Throw brothers Glen and Steven into the mix for five life memberships now sitting in trash cans.

"So how do I feel being the first Hughes to ever play against Canterbury,'' Corey shrugs. "Mate, I'm not sure how to answer that. But when the club made an offer to Mick Ennis last year and not me, well, I had to go. I wasn't playing second fiddle to anyone.''

And this is why we can't talk Hughes and Kill Bill vengeance. Because, sure, they've fined, frustrated and forced Hughes out. Caused a family feud of Bert Newton proportions. But still, somewhere deep within, beats those derbakeh drums of the Bulldog Army.

For proof listen to Hughes at Cronulla, telling prop Luke Douglas an old Darren Britt line about bookends staying between the 20m lines. Then he recycles a Jason Hetherington yarn. Talks up some Lebanese joint on Burwood Road.

"So loyal,'' says one Belmore buddy, "he even has a Bulldog inked on his arse''.

And this is why the Sharks have signed Hughes at 31. Because, sure, he's already a Shire boy. A keen surfer whose two boys - Taj and Slater - are named after wave riders too. But still this No.9 reeks of old school Bulldog.

It's why he never answers his mobile. Why he won't talk about putting the head of a live komodo dragon in his mouth, either. Or glueing $2 coins to pub floors because, well, he likes to watch mates try and pick them up.

Instead, Hughes talks when the rain is pouring in tandem with the blood. When the interchange bench is down to one. Like the time he played three weeks with a broken collarbone. A couple more with cracked ribs.

"And never once,'' says legendary medico Hugh Hazard, "being needled.''

This is a steel born beneath that golden Belmore Bulldog. As a baby, ballboy, then boom rookie with a $30,000 contract and a job with Bankstown Council. It's a grand final in your debut season.

That same year learning Ricky Stuart will take your spot on TV. And listening down a telephone line as the old man tells you he's been sacked. "I can still hear the emotion in dad's voice,'' Hughes concedes. "It was tough, took a huge toll on our family. Even mum. And, yeah, there were days when I wanted to just go.''

Instead he grew.

Like in October 2005 when Hughes was fronted by a boozy bucks party outside Kembla Grange race course. Drunks who bagged his family. Mates and club. Who then ran screaming when 'Smack' offered to explain his nickname. And for that the club fined him 10 grand.

"Look, I'll never repeat what those blokes said,'' Hughes shrugs. "But I'd played at Canterbury for years, had never been in trouble . . . I was standing up for what I knew was right.''

Those that count remember, too.

"Oh, when everything happened in 2005, it was Corey who held us together,'' close mate Mark O'Meley recalls. "He got us together and said `don't worry about Garry being sacked or anything else happening upstairs'. When we bounced back in 2006 . . . it was all him.''

Because this is what the Bulldogs have created in Corey Hughes. This fella who survives because of bung knees and nudie runs. Coffs Harbour and Kembla Grange. A son who watched the old man get shanghaied, crucified and sent out past the Belmore barbed wire.

Who then played four more years with everything he had.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25280896-5006066,00.html

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
great article

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
A great Bulldogs player who will deserve his life membership once he retires.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
great read and people who put sh!t on him can shove it, a real Bulldog and i will clap him out on Sunday.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I found it dissapointing in the last few seasons when team line ups are named - Number 8 Mark O Meleeey (crowd cheeers) number 9.. Corey Hughes (select few from kennel cheer).

Anyone can vouch for that too. The guy is a battler, and only recieved the crappy attention from this place because he wasn't a Robbie Farah or a Mick Ennis or even a Bedsy. Crap on him all you want, no matter what coloured jersey he is wearing, he is a bulldog at heart.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Man, as much as I love Ennis and I don't regret the club signing him for half a second, I miss Hughes. As much as a *** as I'll sound saying this, my eyes were watery when Hughes gave his final speech and seeing his career highlights at Homebush.

It'll be tough watching him play in another clubs jersey. (Haven't watched a Sharks game yet)

U

Upskirt News

I found it dissapointing in the last few seasons when team line ups are named - Number 8 Mark O Meleeey (crowd cheeers) number 9.. Corey Hughes (select few from kennel cheer).

Anyone can vouch for that too. The guy is a battler, and only recieved the crappy attention from this place because he wasn't a Robbie Farah or a Mick Ennis or even a Bedsy. Crap on him all you want, no matter what coloured jersey he is wearing, he is a bulldog at heart.
i used to cheer him 100%. That image of Hughes covered in blood sums him up

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
My cousin ADORES Corey TBH. I honestly believe he's his number one fan.

If you ever heard a real loud cheer from the Kennel in past seasons, it was him.

U

Upskirt News

My cousin ADORES Corey TBH. I honestly believe he's his number one fan.

If you ever heard a real loud cheer from the Kennel in past seasons, it was him.
No it wasn't. It was me.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
I wish all articles were half as good as that one

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Read it this morning at work and it almost brought a tear to my eye. The whole saga and whats happened is so disappointing.

JuStINcReDIbLe.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you have a go at me, i appreciate Corey Hughes and the effort he put into the club. I am one of his fans however..

I hate this article

The way they portray Hughes as the victim is absolutely pathetic. This paragraph drives me insane:

"Like in October 2005 when Hughes was fronted by a boozy bucks party outside Kembla Grange race course. Drunks who bagged his family. Mates and club. Who then ran screaming when 'Smack' offered to explain his nickname. And for that the club fined him 10 grand."

I GUARANTEE the telegraph would of been down our necks if we didnt do anything about Corey's indiscretion - NOW they are defending him and the way WE AS A CLUB defended our image in the public

Nick Walshaw and the Daily Telegraph - GET F*KED

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i love corey, i hope he smashes ennis(but not hard enough to lodge the ball free):p

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

The crowd only really cheered for the g-unit stars anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.