HipDrop Insanity

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to challenge this. We can’t plead guilty and let this be set as a standard for a hip drop.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well CC just asked the press "did you think it was a hip drop?" That's as close as he can come to saying we was robbed.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How come the play continued and the second that smug face **** burgess knocks it on they call it . Like we get it the nrlol hates the dogs but fucken hell that’s so bad

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stripping the ball is fine, taking both his feet of the ground and then dumping all his weight onto the back of Thompson's ankles with his hips is not.

He realised he couldn't pry the ball free and Thompson was still running forward, so he resorts to a hip drop to bring him down. Pretty black and white.
Watch the replay. He slides along the ground, and Thompson's foot rolls under his body. There was no jump up and drop on the leg
What about the crotch grab on Reynold by Burgess? That is supposed to be rubbed out of the game, and Sutton did nothing about it.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'll make this point as well.

If we start to actually win the ruck we should stop seeing these types of tackles from our players.

We shouldn't have players clinging on, we should have numbers and slowing the ruck down.

Hip drop always seems to happen when the first contact is not effective.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
His foot got stuck underneath Preston as he fell off the tackle, had nothing to do with a hip drop

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Guess we don't talk about the fact that psycho was pushing the souths dude along for the full 20m. Without that, Preston doesn't drop off the tackle and land on his ankle.

Should have challenged that coz the first infringement was the rugby maul. Oh thats right - we burnt the challenge on some fckng stupidity about playing at the ball.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don't feed the obvious troll. Exposed themselves and should be banned

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
All seriousness, I don't understand the rule. Every tackle looks like a hipdrop going off what they're pulling up. None of them have looked the same.

Then you've got Cronk in the commentary calling it a classic hipdrop...
No it doesn’t
Preston was not a hip drop tackle
Hip drop tackles need to be outlawed i agree with this

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
All seriousness, I don't understand the rule. Every tackle looks like a hipdrop going off what they're pulling up. None of them have looked the same.

Then you've got Cronk in the commentary calling it a classic hipdrop...
I think Luke Keary really wanted to say "that's a bullshit decision " but probably thinks it might not be good for his fledgling media career.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'll make this point as well.

If we start to actually win the ruck we should stop seeing these types of tackles from our players.

We shouldn't have players clinging on, we should have numbers and slowing the ruck down.

Hip drop always seems to happen when the first contact is not effective.
See astute comment:
Guess we don't talk about the fact that psycho was pushing the souths dude along for the full 20m. Without that, Preston doesn't drop off the tackle and land on his ankle.

Should have challenged that coz the first infringement was the rugby maul. Oh thats right - we burnt the challenge on some fckng stupidity about playing at the ball.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I watched it about 10 times in slow motion. Of course Thompson's foot rolled under Preston's body. That's what happens when a defender takes both his feet off the ground and drops his hips onto a ball runners ankles.

Yeah, Burgess should have been sin binned for that.
Watch it again. He does not drop on top of Thompson's ankle. He slides onto it as Thompson drags him forward. He is sliding along the ground being dragged by Thompson while he hangs on in the tackle.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's pretty simple win the ruck and all this shit goes away.

This whole cluster fuck is compounded by not having our forwards available. First it was the OX man last week who is only a back up at best.

It's got paper thin after the 11 day stand down coupled with our 'marquee' prop forwards out injured.