He could be our fullback for the next 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/he-fullback-10-years/

HE may not be a household name just yet but the Bulldogs reckon you’ll be hearing plenty about Brad Abbey over the next couple of years.

Still only 18, Abbey is a sensational prospect and has been earmarked for the fullback position that has troubled the Bulldogs since Ben Barba’s breakout season in 2012.

“He could be our fullback for the next 10 years — that’s how highly Des Hasler rates the kid,” a Bulldogs source tells RLW.

But the modest Abbey, who obtained a release from the Warriors when they signed Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to join the Bulldogs, knows it won’t be an easy transition.

Sam Perrett has done a good job as a makeshift fullback for the past couple of seasons, while Brett Morris and Curtis Rona can also handle the No.1.

“They have a very strong squad — I don’t expect to just walk into first grade,” Abbey says. “But I’m also not coming over to play reserve grade . . . I may have to bide my time but I’m OK with that.”

The Bulldogs clearly rate Abbey highly, beating off an offer from Melbourne to pay decent coin for a rookie who has yet to play NRL.

“The Dogs flew me over and gave me the tour and it was very impressive,” Abbey says.

“It was very flattering and they told me how badly they wanted me. I went to the Warriors and asked for a release and it all fell into place.”

Abbey’s younger brother Daymon, a hooker or fullback who made the New Zealand under-15 squad two years ago, has also signed to play with the club. And Abbey’s partner Makayla Mave, who will make the move across the Tasman with him next month, represented the Junior White Sox in the softball world championship in the US this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
hope he turns out because we need a long term fullback like luke patten was for such a long time.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember at the beginning of last year lamb was quoted as saying Loko could be a long term fb.
It's all pre-season bs.
Every year rubbish article s about our up and coming prospects.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I got tired of waiting for Patrick Templeman. Ill wait till he makes FG before i get excited.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I remember at the beginning of last year lamb was quoted as saying Loko could be a long term fb.
It's all pre-season bs.
That's the first thing I thought of. How much loko was hyped and how much of an impact he had in first grade at the end lol

The kid has a long way to go. Hopefully he does turn out good because perrett isn't the answer. But will this kid get a crack when bmoz is out? I somehow doubt it (Hasler has shown his cards by using perrett every chance he got, and can't see him changing his habits). Long term though the kid does look like an exciting prospect and we should be the right club (with a kiwi CEO and such a strong Polynesian influence in the team) to nurture him and hopefully keep him long term.

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all pre-season bs.
The big difference is that Abby is not a dickhead

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Does the journo actualy watch football i wonder?

This quote:

Sam Perrett has done a good job as a makeshift fullback for the past couple of seasons, while Brett Morris and Curtis Rona can also handle the No.1.

Hadnt they noticed that Sam Perrett hasnt been fullback for the last couple of years, Morris was fullback last year, so he more than "can also handle the no.1", he was FB all year apart from the period he was injured. And he was good at it. FB wasnt a problem in 2015.

Also i wonder if Abbey will slot straight into FG, or spend some time in NSW Cup first learning how to tackle adults. He may have attacking flair, but like most players straight out of the under 20s, he cant tackle to save his life.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does the journo actualy watch football i wonder?

This quote:

Hadnt they noticed that Sam Perrett hasnt been fullback for the last couple of years, Morris was fullback last year, so he more than "can also handle the no.1", he was FB all year apart from the period he was injured. And he was good at it. FB wasnt a problem in 2015.

Also i wonder if Abbey will slot straight into FG, or spend some time in NSW Cup first learning how to tackle adults. He may have attacking flair, but like most players straight out of the under 20s, he cant tackle to save his life.
actually Perret played fullback for the entire 2014 and a lot of games in 2015 when morris was injured for an extended period.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Abbey is still 18 lol. Some people expect him to just skip his final years of 20's, not even worry about NSW cup, and just find himself in first grade haha. The bloke has plenty of raw talent but he is years off being a fulltime firstgrader. Hopefully he starts the year wearing the 1 in NSW cup and builds on from there.

bulldogluke

Waterboy
Reaction score
I reckon we should follow a similar path to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, put Abbey on the wing for a season or so and let him replace Morris at fullback during the Origin period. Then he could comfortably slot into a full-time role in a year or so's time.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Abbey is still 18 lol. Some people expect him to just skip his final years of 20's, not even worry about NSW cup, and just find himself in first grade haha. The bloke has plenty of raw talent but he is years off being a fulltime firstgrader. Hopefully he starts the year wearing the 1 in NSW cup and builds on from there.
This is 100% correct. He won't see any first grade in 2016. He's talented but a long way off a player like Tom T.

Back up for fg will be Chase Stanley, Phillips and the kid from Newcastle we signed.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon we should follow a similar path to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, put Abbey on the wing for a season or so and let him replace Morris at fullback during the Origin period. Then he could comfortably slot into a full-time role in a year or so's time.
Totally agree plus well have a goal kicker

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des has been going for the long shots lately:

Got rid of Cook who actually kept us in finals contention
Got rid of Pritchard ( best player of the season)
Got rid of Ennis who played a dual role who then went on to come 2nd to dally m player of the year
Persisted with trex (no explanation required)
Signed up the best winger in the nrl but stuck him in the uncharted territory of fullback
and is now getting excited about a fullback who's just finished high school.

i just wish I had des's long shot vision for Melbourne cup this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.