Hazem El Masri can be our Steve Menzies: Jamal Idris

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
BULLDOG Jamal Idris believes Hazem El Masri's farewell campaign can inspire the same fairytale send-off Manly gave Steve Menzies last year.

As hype builds towards a 40,000-plus crowd for El Masri's final home game at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, the Bulldogs yesterday vowed to use the occasion to boost their premiership charge.

Teen sensation Idris - who has thrived alongside the veteran winger on the right edge this season - revealed that El Masri's retirement was an extra motivation to notch the club's ninth title.

"Winning the comp would be a perfect farewell,'' the giant 19-year-old said. "Knowing it's Hazem's final year, it inspires you to play better and better. Look at Steve Menzies with Manly in last year's Grand Final - that lifted the whole team.

"Hazem is in the same class as Menzies - he's the elder statesman of our team and the greatest point-scorer of all time.''

While many teams can become wary of putting too much focus on to one player, Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore is confident El Masri's last stand will give his team an added edge against the Warriors on Sunday.

"I don't see [the hype] as a problem,'' Moore said. "I think all the players will be excited about being part of Hazem's last game.''

But humble as ever, El Masri yesterday said he would retire a content man - regardless of whether his fairytale comes true.

"It's destiny - if it's meant to be, it's meant to be,'' he said. "I can't change that. This is a fairytale ending [already] - everything that's happened on the field and off the field.

"[A premiership] would be the cherry on top. But I don't want anyone to put any pressure on themselves for me. I just want them to go out and enjoy themselves.''

As revealed in The Daily Telegraph yesterday, El Masri will play through the afternoon game without food or water because of the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan.

The incredible feat has left many of the winger's teammates in awe, including Idris, who completed two fasts as a child under the watch of his Muslim father, Jerry.

"Honestly, it was hard enough just getting up to go to school during Ramadan,'' Idris said.

"Playing first grade football and training - it just seems ridiculously hard. How he pulls it off, I don't know.

"It's a massive accomplishment that only a few people would be able to achieve.''

Hooker Michael Ennis added: "I was pretty blown away when I heard what he's going to do.

"If it were me, I'd probably go home, draw the blinds and pretend it was midnight so I could have something to eat!''

El Masri will be presented to the crowd after the match, with thousands of fans allowed on to the field.

Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg has invited Prime Minister Kevin Rudd to make the formal presentation.

"Hopefully we'll know [today] whether the Prime Minister can attend,'' Greenberg said last night.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...zies-jamal-idris/story-e6frexnr-1225766569039

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
BULLDOG Jamal Idris believes Hazem El Masri's farewell campaign can inspire the same fairytale send-off Manly gave Steve Menzies last year.

As hype builds towards a 40,000-plus crowd for El Masri's final home game at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, the Bulldogs yesterday vowed to use the occasion to boost their premiership charge.

Teen sensation Idris - who has thrived alongside the veteran winger on the right edge this season - revealed that El Masri's retirement was an extra motivation to notch the club's ninth title.

"Winning the comp would be a perfect farewell,'' the giant 19-year-old said. "Knowing it's Hazem's final year, it inspires you to play better and better. Look at Steve Menzies with Manly in last year's Grand Final - that lifted the whole team.

"Hazem is in the same class as Menzies - he's the elder statesman of our team and the greatest point-scorer of all time.''

While many teams can become wary of putting too much focus on to one player, Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore is confident El Masri's last stand will give his team an added edge against the Warriors on Sunday.

"I don't see [the hype] as a problem,'' Moore said. "I think all the players will be excited about being part of Hazem's last game.''

But humble as ever, El Masri yesterday said he would retire a content man - regardless of whether his fairytale comes true.

"It's destiny - if it's meant to be, it's meant to be,'' he said. "I can't change that. This is a fairytale ending [already] - everything that's happened on the field and off the field.

"[A premiership] would be the cherry on top. But I don't want anyone to put any pressure on themselves for me. I just want them to go out and enjoy themselves.''

As revealed in The Daily Telegraph yesterday, El Masri will play through the afternoon game without food or water because of the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan.

The incredible feat has left many of the winger's teammates in awe, including Idris, who completed two fasts as a child under the watch of his Muslim father, Jerry.

"Honestly, it was hard enough just getting up to go to school during Ramadan,'' Idris said.

"Playing first grade football and training - it just seems ridiculously hard. How he pulls it off, I don't know.

"It's a massive accomplishment that only a few people would be able to achieve.''

Hooker Michael Ennis added: "I was pretty blown away when I heard what he's going to do.

"If it were me, I'd probably go home, draw the blinds and pretend it was midnight so I could have something to eat!''

El Masri will be presented to the crowd after the match, with thousands of fans allowed on to the field.

Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg has invited Prime Minister Kevin Rudd to make the formal presentation.

"Hopefully we'll know [today] whether the Prime Minister can attend,'' Greenberg said last night.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...zies-jamal-idris/story-e6frexnr-1225766569039
:love: hazem...the man is a deadset legend

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he'll go out a winner in our eyes no matter what,although i'm quietly confident we'll bring home the trophy for the 9th time in the club's history

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score

:roflol: hehe why didnt i think of that!

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
man i am so pumpedddddddddd for this game
Yeah dood - 50,000 people all going "HaaaaaaaaZzzzeerrrrmmmmmm". :D

And why would we want him to be Steve Menzies when he is already Hazem El Magic ??? :D

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL! Gotta love Ennis...

All this hype over Hazem is gonna make me cry. Fk I love him. We really won't know what we've lost til he's gone :(

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Such a humble man.

He is right though. We best hope the players done get swept up in the emotion as that is a recipe for disaster.

bulldogs27

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"You have to believe that we are
Magic, nothing can stand in our way"
ABBA
LOL & Peace from Sveden.

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
LOL @ Ennis :love:
i can not WAIT for this game! its going to be sooo good <3

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will go out with 2 premiships, i can feel it HAPPENING for sure

phelps_fan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope we can send him out a premier, he deserves it.
I am so looking forward to Sunday.

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dammit now that dragons lost two in a row all the articles about us winning are coming out. We are better when not getting talked up imo.

Players should stop talking about GF's when we havent even made it to the GF yet.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Steve Menzies loved himself, we dont Hazems head to get too big..

Status
Not open for further replies.