Official Hasler Suing Manly

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Not necessarily but it’s part of the game that’s results driven and at the dogs his time was up
I thought he had a clause in his contract at manly to make finals or they could sack him
Yeah but Dib publicaly declared he was re signed them for some reason tries to weasel his way out leb style
Manly had that trigger then penn forced manky to do LGB when they were in the 8 and derailed the season
Des has a real point

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He leaves trouble and controversy wherever he has been

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As he should , sacked after the gay jersey shite

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Funny how this bloke has done this what? Like 1 year later ? He must want to be in the spotlight before he starts his coaching at titans lol

Lek aerib Hasler, bloke should be sued by the dogs on grounds he broke our club
Apparently his legal team were trying to reach an agreement with Manly management. The negotiations broke down and now going to court.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bahahaha, good luck finding another stint in NRL ya GRUB.
NO club will logically want to take the risk of dealing with any of the adversity he brings with him.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a pattern developing here. Maybe the problem is Hasler.
Agreed won’t change his ways as a coach or bloke will hit the titans with a lawsuit once they piss him off
Next year they will improve heaps better then everyone will work out there game plan Hasler won’t change his ways and then he will be sacked again after signing a extension and then he will be worked out and then back to court

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Titans fans would have to be concerned about their new coach. Hes sued the last 2 clubs he coached coz they released him early for bad results.

Des hasnt actually improved any side he has coached, the ones who made GFs were good sides any coach would have had success with. I dont predict Titans to make the 8 next year.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even in his playing days, it was rumoured he was tight with his money. Just like Garry Jack was.
There was this story from a few years back which pretty much sums up Haslers frugal ways...

Des Hasler, it’s widely agreed, is a famously frugal fellow. Tales of his frugality are legion.

They’ll tell you when he was first signed for Manly in 1984, Hasler would travel by train from Penrith to Circular Quay and busk for change. He was a pretty good singer, sang in a country and western band. And after he’d earned the fare he’d catch the ferry to Manly.

They’ll tell you he once picked up .50c in the race at Brookvale and put it in his footy sock.

They’ll tell you his wife drove a Land Cruiser; he’d give her $5 for petrol.

They’ll tell you he was late for a function – and this in his mid-50s and a coach on mega-bucks – because he was driving around waiting until there was free parking.

And they’ll tell you about the old pair of Doc Marten’s boots.

For years the Sea Eagles players had teased Hasler about the boots. He’d won them in ’87 when he a man-of-the-match. He’d worn them all over the UK on the Kangaroo Tour of 1990. He wore them every day. He didn’t buy a pair of casual shoes for nearly 20 years. Why would he? Those things were tough. Did the job.

One day John Hopoate saw an opportunity too good to pass up. He noticed Hasler’s Doc Martens in a half-open sports bag. And he knew: comedy gold was on. It’s why Hoppa did the thing with the fingers in the bum. For a laugh at video night.

So he reached into the bag and took one of the boots. Then he zipped up the bag and thought, Now what do I do?

He needed co-conspirators. He sought out two men who’d know what to do: Steve Menzies and Nik Kosef. The pair, too, saw opportunity.

And they hatched a cunning plan.
Next training session, Des – who was strength and conditioning trainer at the club with Bob Fulton as coach – gathered the group in the middle of the park. And he addressed the group:

“Who’s got it? I know one of you blokes has my boot.”

Nobody ‘fessed up.

“Right. I’m gonna flog you until I find out,” Hasler said.

And there followed a serious session. Sprints. Four hundreds. Blokes vomiting, Des barking at them. Where’s the boot!

Next day, another training session, another huddle in the middle. This time a trainer ran out to the group with a letter for Des. Des opened it. It was a ransom note. Letters had been cut out of magazines and glued on. The note read: “Pay $200 for the players fund or the shoe gets it.”

Des did not get it. Indeed he was ropeable.

“They’re sentimental value!” he thundered. “Those shoes mean a lot to me!”

Still no-one spoke. No shoe came forth. And Des flogged the players again.

Next session, the trainer ran out with another envelope, another letter.

“Listen Hasler,” it read. “We make the rules, You want the shoe, cough up the money.”

This time in the envelope was another item: a shoe-lace.

Cut in half.

There followed, most sessions, another letter. Some contained Polaroid photos of the shoe under duress. Being dangled over the Spit Bridge. Masked men holding a lighter to the shoe.

Season after season – you want the boot back, cough up the coin.

Hasler was unlikely to cough up money. Did his players not know him?

So no boot, no money, no confession.

Ten years later, there was one.

Kosef was best man at Menzies’ wedding. At the end of Kosef’s speech, he declared that he had something to admit.

And from under the bridal table he produced the missing Doc Marten.

At the back of the reception came a plaintive howl.

“Nooooooo!” It was Des. “I only just threw the other one out last week!”

And the room erupted. Because it was true. He hadn’t bought another pair of shoes.

The team bought him a pair for his birthday.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There was this story from a few years back which pretty much sums up Haslers frugal ways...
Great story - I knew Des was tighter than a second coat of paint but hadn’t seen that before :tearsofjoy:.

A bit of clownshittery and take no prisoners in those sorts of situations can bond footy teams, I hope we haven’t lost our sense of humour along the way.

And I can’t believe I’m agreeing with the resident pest, but Des was entitled to seek compensation from both the Dogs and Beagles. Dib royally screwed up his retention then sacking and it sounds like Penn and Co did something similar. Couldn’t happen to a nicer club.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des would probably be a really good State of Origin coach with the freedom to choose the players he wants to build a team that will suit his game plan.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The guy has always been about the money.
To be fair bro… he, you , them , me … life is about money, nrl is a business , and if you can take one to court and win an feather your own nest so be it, the players are about money, you need money. Why do we work? Play lotto etc etc , buy cars, homes, it’s all about getting rich. Every single player in the nrl an all other sports are only there for the money alone. If there was no money in it there would be no one interested. May sound sad to you lol, but come on. Money is what matters for every single day life. Without it your SCREWED!!!

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shows where society has gone wrong.
Not even 100 years ago, you could survive off the land if needed.
Now capitalism essentially forces us to buy everything.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a job.. get fired.. sue employer for cashhhh money. Rinse and repeat. Watch out Titans!