Hasler please take notes, you might just learn something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
McGregor opens up about 2016 pain

Paul McGregor hadn't experienced failure in his 35-year playing and coaching career until St George Illawarra missed last year's NRL finals and when it hit, it felt like a punch to the jaw.

After beginning the 2017 with his job hanging on a knife's edge, McGregor on Thursday celebrated a two-year contract extension which will see him stay in charge of the Red V until the end of 2019.

The side's failure to make the top eight last year and a gloomy outlook for 2017 placed him under immediate pressure.

However with his side having entrenched themselves in the top four, the club put pen to paper on an extension.

"It's challenging. I played for my club, played for my country, played for my state. As a player and a coach failure didn't hit me until last year," McGregor said.

"Because the first year of coaching we made the finals in 2015 and it was the first time in four years for the club.

"It was the smack in the mouth I needed and something I took personally and hurt. I knew I needed to undergo some change."

That change came in throwing out a playbook which he admits had become stagnant and boring and relinquishing several responsibilities, including retention and recruitment.

When it came for a season de-brief at the end of 2016, his players told him bluntly that they were unhappy with the manner in which their playing style and game plan had been chopped and changed throughout the season.

So he went back to the drawing board.

"It's about creating a style that fits who we are, not what fits how others play. And for us I thought we had a really dominant forward pack," McGregor said.

"The style we wanted to play was coming off the front foot."

As he strived to save his job over the first few months of the season, McGregor also fought a very private battle after his mother Jean suffered a stroke in February.

Jean, a lifelong Illawarra Steelers and Dragons fan, suffered ill health for several months until she died in late May.

McGregor credited his parents with instilling in him his lifelong love of rugby league as well as the self belief that was required to play and coach at the highest level.

"She was a tough, resilient person. I saw mum cry half a dozen times in her life," McGregor said.

"I feel that she was always there for a chat but she told me what I should hear. Mum treated people like she would like to be treated.

"When you hear that stuff at the time you think 'Yeah mum, yeah mum'. But it's not until you don't get to speak to your mother again that you revisit some of those conversations and you understand what she was saying.

"Where I am now has a lot to do with how mum and dad brought me through."

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I brought up a comparison between McGregor and Hasler early in the week. McGregor accepted his mistakes and made the changes required to make the dragons a force again. He focused on the basics of footy and got his players firing and enjoying footy again. Meanwhile Hasler hasn't owned up to a single mistake in his entire life. The club just continued to turn to shit as Hasler persisted with his garbage systems instead of accepting his mistakes so we could move on. Absolute ****.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I brought up a comparison between McGregor and Hasler early in the week. McGregor accepted his mistakes and made the changes required to make the dragons a force again. He focused on the basics of footy and got his players firing and enjoying footy again. Meanwhile Hasler hasn't owned up to a single mistake in his entire life. The club just continued to turn to shit as Hasler persisted with his garbage systems instead of accepting his mistakes so we could move on. Absolute ****.
That's true, first step to change is admitting there's a problem

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
That is a real coach, someone who can adapt to the changing nature of the game.

All Hasler cares about is stats and percentages. When we lose, it is always because we didn't get enough possession or complete enough sets. It's never that our gameplan is shit and predictable. Does my head in.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That is a real coach, someone who can adapt to the changing nature of the game.

All Hasler cares about is stats and percentages. When we lose, it is always because we didn't get enough possession or complete enough sets. It's never that our gameplan is shit and predictable. Does my head in.
This is what really annoys me!!

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Macgregor turned things around in one offseason. Des has had 5 off seasons to turn it around.

Reactions: GDR

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is probably no point, but at the meeting with the members we need to raise this with Hasler! why someone like Mcgregor who's been a coach for just over 2 years is able to realise where he is going wrong and adjust accordingly, yet Hasler who has coached for over a decade still can't adjust?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hunt hasn't really been the same since what happened in the 2015 Grand Final.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hunt hasn't really been the same since what happened in the 2015 Grand Final.
The mental game can be just as if not more important for an athlete then the physical side, sometimes they just break and can never recover from humiliation.

At least Bennett will drop an under performing player instead of just letting them ride out their contract like Hasler does.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The mental game can be just as if not more important for an athlete then the physical side, sometimes they just break and can never recover from humiliation.

At least Bennett will drop an under performing player instead of just letting them ride out their contract like Hasler does.
Well he will drop them if there are alternatives. We haven't had alternatives for years. Look at how everyone was carrying on about Frawley the messiah after 1 game. Now he is doing nothing and apparently its all Des' fault that he can't call for the ball, stand one off the ruck or kick properly.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well he will drop them if there are alternatives. We haven't had alternatives for years. Look at how everyone was carrying on about Frawley the messiah after 1 game. Now he is doing nothing and apparently its all Des' fault that he can't call for the ball, stand one off the ruck or kick properly.
We had plenty of alternatives for our forwards yet Des continued to play Williams and continues to play Eastwood, he dropped Williams once in the entire 3 years of plodding. I agree that our Holden and NSW cup sides aren't sprawling with talent but to say we haven't had alternatives is disingenuous.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We did have alternatives for trex at the time? Also Eastwood now.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We had plenty of alternatives for our forwards yet Des continued to play Williams and continues to play Eastwood, he dropped Williams once in the entire 3 years of plodding. I agree that our Holden and NSW cup sides aren't sprawling with talent but to say we haven't had alternatives is disingenuous.
Who did we have? Perrett as a 20 year old? Maybe we did in the first year or so, but after that we have had no-one in the reggies worth promoting until this year and we have promoted most of them and you should remember that TRex was in the Origin side during that time so he couldn't have been going too bad. the best we have below at the moment who could possibly replace Kas and/or Eastwood is RFM and he is raw and injured. Even Martin didn't play last week (unless he was on the bench). I didn't see much from To'omaga last week. Maybe Saunders could make the bench but he isn't an impact player, just a trundler from what I saw. So the bottom line is that we really don't have anyone threatening the top side. Still, maybe we should just drop a couple of them and see if it wakes them up, but we have made the semis for the past 5 years so it wouldn't have been justified then.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who did we have? Perrett as a 20 year old? Maybe we did in the first year or so, but after that we have had no-one in the reggies worth promoting until this year and we have promoted most of them and you should remember that TRex was in the Origin side during that time so he couldn't have been going too bad. the best we have below at the moment who could possibly replace Kas and/or Eastwood is RFM and he is raw and injured. Even Martin didn't play last week (unless he was on the bench). I didn't see much from To'omaga last week. Maybe Saunders could make the bench but he isn't an impact player, just a trundler from what I saw. So the bottom line is that we really don't have anyone threatening the top side. Still, maybe we should just drop a couple of them and see if it wakes them up, but we have made the semis for the past 5 years so it wouldn't have been justified then.
T-rex was in the Origin side for the same reason Reynolds and Hodko were, it was the first 10 rounds of 2014 which we were on top of the ladder, also you're talking about 2014, we had T-rex up until 2016.
We had Herman Ese'Ese (He was fat when he was with us and is now slim which isn't surprising) who is now going well at the Broncos, RFM, Fualalo we also had to off load Finucane and Taupau.

As for Eastwood, he hasnt run 100m this entire season and averages about 50m a game, any forward would be better then Eastwood

Status
Not open for further replies.