News Harawira-Naera reportedly released

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
They should re ban him for being a brat on the situation.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes but this is the part you don’t understand. We could have got a transfer fee if we didn’t get a player swap but instead we got zilch . There is no benefit releasing him to the raiders this year .

He should have been made to stay until the end of the year and then he can fuck off . Or at least until we secured a replacement from another team

But now they get a quality player and we get nothing .
When was the last time a transfer fee was paid from one NRL club to another?

If we didn't release him then we pay a player $400K - $500K to do nothing and sit on his arse. He would be the best paid dole bludger in the country. He got release before his next payment is due so that is cash that we saved.

The benefit is we now have more free space on our cap and we have only decreased the warchest by $200K after signing Cotric.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

If we didn't release him then we pay a player $400K - $500K to do nothing and sit on his arse. He would be the best paid dole bludger in the country. He got release before his next payment is due so that is cash that we saved.

The benefit is we now have more free space on our cap and we have only decreased the warchest by $200K after signing Cotric.
We'll said, freeing up cap space is the only benefit.
Some years ago Steve Turner signed with the Titans before back flipping to stay at the Storm Storm sent two players to Titans as part of the deal. I was hoping we'd get a player based on that.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We'll said, freeing up cap space is the only benefit.
Some years ago Steve Turner signed with the Titans before back flipping to stay at the Storm Storm sent two players to Titans as part of the deal. I was hoping we'd get a player based on that.
I don't actually remember that, but surely that is the exception and not the rule, right?

Were those 2 players asking for a release? and did the Storm do it to free up cap space for someone else?

Cap space is the be all these days. All clubs are willing to pay part salary to players to leave their club and go somewhere else just to free up cap space.

Now we have extra cash to get someone in who wants to play for us and willing to contribute not bitch and cause trouble. Can't wait for him to play in that cold down there.

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes we free up cap space for this year but not much. The season is half way over. As I said I was happy to see him go at the end of the year because then we could find a replacement.

Brent Read actually said last night that we were holding out for either a player swap or cash but we got neither. If this was no chance to happen then why would the club even mention it ??

I just felt we could have held out for at least few weeks. So what if he wanted to go to the Raiders ?? We dont owe him (or them) anything. Another club might have come in with an offer.

Look at Saab for the Dragons. He has asked for a release about 10 times but they keep saying no because they need him. Normally when players move clubs mid-way through the year its because they are not in the clubs top 17 and they are unwanted (like Lafai). When a top player is disgruntled they keep them until the end of the year because then they have a chance to use the cap money for next year on a player that wants to be there (i.e. Matterson).

We let players like Woods and Mbye go mid-year but thats because we were over the cap. We actually had CHN on a great deal so we were in the driving seat.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't actually remember that, but surely that is the exception and not the rule, right?

Were those 2 players asking for a release? and did the Storm do it to free up cap space for someone else?

Cap space is the be all these days. All clubs are willing to pay part salary to players to leave their club and go somewhere else just to free up cap space.

Now we have extra cash to get someone in who wants to play for us and willing to contribute not bitch and cause trouble. Can't wait for him to play in that cold down there.
Definitely the exception, from memory Titans played hardball and held out for these players, I can't remember who they were.

https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6216

I found this, ironically in a Raiders forum.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Seeya later whinging bitch! Hope you get knocked the fuk out.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
If he wants a release then good riddance, not like we we're winning games off the back of him.

Hope he enjoys the freezing cold winters

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Personally of course not but you are running a multi million dollar business.

After all the moral outrage and people jumping up and down, we are back to the situation of legally having to acceot the players back into the game, and pay them their outstanding money and lose the player least morally negligent of the two.

The decisions should have been based on legal facts. Everyone , and especially players with ruthless managers losing their cash cows, would have fought being locked out from losing your income.

CHN's "crime" was breaking team rules in taking a female back to his room, and 2nd known offence from what we are lead to believe. It should have been dealt with as only that and publicly treated differently by the club and NRL for legal HR reasons if nothing else.

He does not seem sorry about the scandal so its best for him to move on for our club's sake.

Unfortunately the morally worst offender remains. No one seems as outraged now because he says he is sorry.

The damage has been done though.

I'm just saying the club need to get on the front foot quicker and think about ALL the side issues and repercussions. Some PR training seems like a good idea.
Look what’s done is done but the U turning done by the media hasn’t helped the club in the slightest. This wasn’t CHN’s first offence and by his exit from the Panthers He’s not that well behaved. I’m glad he’s gone as our club doesn’t need any more negative attention.

Yes the club could have handled CHN better but maybe Pay said I don’t want clowns here and wiped the clubs hands of the two players of the belief the NRLs verdict was final. The NRL is not consistent in its actions I believe that to be more of a problem then how the club handled it.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If he wants a release then good riddance, not like we we're winning games off the back of him.

Hope he enjoys the freezing cold winters
I've been living near Canberra for 11 years now and still hate the winters down here.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Just to be clear, we had already counted the salaries of CHN and Okky (as not payable next year) as part of the reported $3m war chest. So we've already kept Okky $185k and bought Thompson $650k and Cotric $650k so that leaves circa $1.5m left. THATS IT!!! Spend wisely!!!
Do we keep Elliott, Foran, Holland, Lafai, Montoya, Tolman others??
So much for the war chest.
Isnt the $3M AFTER we sign all our unsigned players?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yes but that is not a sackable offence, nor should he of been deregistered by the nrl
Any breach of contractual obligations is potentially a sackable offence....especially if it isn't the first one. I won't miss the prick and at the end of the day, it's better he isn't at the club.....but it's sickening that he actually benefits from his poor behaviour and this club has to stop sending the message to players that is they aren't happy at the club, they can throw a tantrum and get a better deal elsewhere. This fuck wit is going to play finals this year after bailing on his teammates and that is not right.

Reactions: J_B

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am extremely disappointed in CHN leaving. But How would we feel if we were standing in his shoes. He did wrong & was deregistered. His whole career stopped. Bulldogs were not interested in appealing the sentence, whether we believed it was correct or not. i.e. Bulldogs club agreed the punishment. CHN appealed without the support of club. If not his career was basically terminated.
I am sure everyone would have done the same.

Any astute administrator would have appealed the punishment, even if they felt it would not have been successful. If we had managed correctly, like most other clubs would have done, we would not have been in this position.
Does it mean we have pandering a little to a star players. Of course. There is hundreds of examples of where clubs that have given their gun players more latitude than other players.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You'll be cheering on the Panthers? Dude. I haven't even checked on the final series since the last time we won it. Honestly can't even tell you who won last year. All I know is that we weren't in the finals, and that's it.

Agree about the club letting him go but imagine that they're probably caught between a rock and a hard place. Personally would've made him rot in ... well ... not reserves as we don't have that but somewhere where he can't have any impact on the team ... not that this is possible.

Reality is that keeping him, being the c*** that he is, would've destroyed the playing group even more.
Hahaha yeah I won't be following with too much passion, but I'd much rather see the panthers win it than see CHN celebrate a premiership, Des win one after what he did to us, Klemmer win a premiership, or the roosters three peat.

I get what you're saying, but morale isn't great anyway and this (and the Klemmer incident) only reinforce to players that if they want to get out of their contracts to seek greener pastures, there is a way.....and that players can actually benefit from bad behaviour if they don't want to stick with us through the tough times. I don't think we should have even thought about keeping him beyond this season, but we should have made him sit on his arse for the rest of the year. Too many players these days seem to think the club serves them and not the other way around. We still don't have a front of jersey sponsor because of this dickhead and he is acting like the wronged party. Now he will play finals elsewhere. Pathetic.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If the club was after a player swap with the Raiders and the Raiders rejected it based on their injury toll, why didn't we say no worries, give us one if your injured players for next year. They have a few younger good middle forwards like Guler and Horsborough who would add to our squad.
Horsborough is a decent player but is a grub. Will spend more time suspended then he will play not worth the risk IMHO