Halligan 98 vs el Masri 02 goal kick

Flat Earther

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hazem was my favourite player growing up but you have to say Halligan's because it got us into a GF.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I am lucky to have seen both live.

The el Masri one stuck in my mind the most as I was standing right behind him as he lined it up and was one of the first to know it was successful, and I managed to talk to Haz about it on a flight to Perth many years later.

But if i was to stand back objectively the Halligan one propelled us to a GF, so i'm going to give it to him by a nose (although Haz's was probably the harder attempt).

Last edited:

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Halligan due to the importance of the game but the haz kick is what made it 16 wins in a row for us, I still remember the back page of the telegraph the next morning..."Sweet 16th"

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
like many have posted above, El Masri's conversion was the better kick but Halligan's clearly more important due to the stage --> a preliminary final, 2 points down, time almost gone, against the Eels... if only Polla-Mounter's field goal attempt went over

to this day, Sterling's dejection in commentary brings a smile to my face

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hey dogs fans.

The great debate over two of the great conversions. Will give people context for those who don’t know what I’m talking about or remember.

1) 1998 semi To make the gf was dogs vs parra. Dogs were getting thrashed 18-2 with 10 remaining. They came back With 3 tries and willie Talau scores with two minutes to go in corner. Score was 18-16 and halligan had to make the kick to send it to extra time.

2) dogs vs knights in 02. Knights up 21-16 dogs scored in corner and el Masri down 21-20 had to make gk to win and he did.

wouldn’t expect many to remember but for those who did, which was better.
i was at the parra game, almost directly behind it. It was a semi final game so that has to go on top.
haz kick was to keep the winning stretch going from memory, remember it well.
2 great kickers

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
like many have posted above, El Masri's conversion was the better kick but Halligan's clearly more important due to the stage --> a preliminary final, 2 points down, time almost gone, against the Eels... if only Polla-Mounter's field goal attempt went over

to this day, Sterling's dejection in commentary brings a smile to my face
You sound like my mate re: the Polly field goal attempt(we had bet on them to win in normal time he was gutted but I didn't give a stuff because..we won that was enough).
We were there too and close to leaving at 18-2 dejected as..then the comeback of all comebacks happened.

Halligan's kick imo for the importance/occasion.
Both outstanding goalkickers.

And yes lol's at poor Sterlo who couldn't believe what was happening.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sound like my mate re: the Polly field goal attempt(we had bet on them to win in normal time he was gutted but I didn't give a stuff because..we won that was enough).
We were there too and close to leaving at 18-2 dejected as..then the comeback of all comebacks happened.

Halligan's kick imo for the importance/occasion.
Both outstanding goalkickers.

And yes lol's at poor Sterlo who couldn't believe what was happening.
a Polla-Mounter field goal on the bell would have been the perfect ending to a great comeback... and the opportunity only came about from a bizarre kick from poor Carige

and Sterling didn't miss Carige with his commentary stating that he had done some of the stupidest things he had ever seen on a football field

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
To hard to split them. Both geniuses with the boot.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep he was a 14th man for us late wasn't he.Another metre and that field goal kick would have been a stunning ending for sure.
The last conversion too could have been even more epic as Daryl rushed the conversion at 18-6 clock watching and hooked it a bit if i recall correctly.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Both great kicks but Halligan for me. It was to get them into the GF. Also in '02 we had an entire second half to catch up to the Knights, whereas in 98 we had only 11 mins.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
98 for sure. Stakes were higher and it got us into a GF. 02 conversion took as to a wooden spoon. Although I was at the game in 02 sitting next to Glen Hughes in a game I’ll never forget

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: id take hazem any day of the week to kick for my life. Best there is and ever was.