Halfback depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
I was just thinking, if Hodko was to get injured/suspended who do we have to fill in? I think your or myself have a high chance of playing Halfback next season.

keep in mind, there's no longer Romelo or Keating.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No hb depth, no hooker depth and definitely no winger depth should be the sub title to ur thread.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
It's a real concern, people keep saying "In Des we trust", but what exactly are we trusting? Guys like Feeney, Templeman, Sila won't be ready for atleast another season or two. Then you look at our NSW cup side, there's not a name in that squad that will put pressure on a first grade spot.

very concerned.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
even with manly I remember des smashed all his cap on around the top 15players and the depth was always shit house

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye is a possibility but I wouldn't be surprised if we signed some backup between now and Round 1.

Didn't I hear somewhere that we are losing/lost Jalene Graham too?

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a real concern, people keep saying "In Des we trust", but what exactly are we trusting? Guys like Feeney, Templeman, Sila won't be ready for atleast another season or two. Then you look at our NSW cup side, there's not a name in that squad that will put pressure on a first grade spot.

very concerned.
I understand what you are saying.

I am remaining positive we will make at least another signing or two before 2014 season kickoff.

Des seems to be in the position of trying to bring players through the grades rather than buy a big name player.

Other than Tony Williams has Des signed any recognized players in his coaching career?

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying.

I am remaining positive we will make at least another signing or two before 2014 season kickoff.

Des seems to be in the position of trying to bring players through the grades rather than buy a big name player.

Other than Tony Williams has Des signed any recognized players in his coaching career?
jamie lyon
matt orford
steve bell

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye is a possibility but I wouldn't be surprised if we signed some backup between now and Round 1.

Didn't I hear somewhere that we are losing/lost Jalene Graham too?
I'm hoping you heard wrong, would be a big loss...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm hoping you heard wrong, would be a big loss...
I'm pretty sure I imagined it. Can't see any information about it. My guess is that I heard somewhere that someone wanted to poach him but nothing came of it.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
You are right, especially when you consider that Reynolds may well be missing due to origin rep..assuming he keeps up his very good form from last season.
If a back up isn't signed, the only thing I can think of is Maitua (who plays a utility role), moves into the halves. Don't know if that's a great answer, but with Feeney, Templeman not been ready as of yet..don't think we have another option.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I was just thinking, if Hodko was to get injured/suspended who do we have to fill in? I think your or myself have a high chance of playing Halfback next season.

keep in mind, there's no longer Romelo or Keating.
You are spot on....

Des might play Ennis at halfback if Hodko was to get injured??????

I really dont know....

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you cant have everything at once.

Obviously there is salary cap issues. You have to get rid of players in order to buy some. You cant buy them and sell players later.

Quick fixes get you no where. Everything Des and the team are doing are based on long term goals and structures. Just be patient. Manly is still playing under Des's structures and set ups. Its got to mean something.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I imagined it. Can't see any information about it. My guess is that I heard somewhere that someone wanted to poach him but nothing came of it.
I am married to Megan Gale

Wait, I think I imagined that

Yeah, def not married to Megan Gale

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
you cant have everything at once.

Obviously there is salary cap issues. You have to get rid of players in order to buy some. You cant buy them and sell players later.

Quick fixes get you no where. Everything Des and the team are doing are based on long term goals and structures. Just be patient. Manly is still playing under Des's structures and set ups. Its got to mean something.
Get rid of players you say?

Players we've let go in the last 2 seasons compared to the players we've signed.

Let go: Wright, Keating, Goodwin, Romelo, Stagg, McDougall, Taupau, Halatau, Payne, Turner and Barba.
(All featured in our 2012 Grand Final year)

Gained: TRex, O'Hanlon, Maitua and Stanley.

N

Natboy

There's not many halfbacks around these days in juniors
Just lots of 5/8th, centres & locks wearing number 7 because someone has to
It doesn't seem to be a popular position with kids anymore

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There's not many halfbacks around these days in juniors
Just lots of 5/8th, centres & locks wearing number 7 because someone has to
It doesn't seem to be a popular position with kids anymore
It might be because kids are now just being taught to run straight and hard, I also see it hard for kids to develop smart kicking games and running/passing games from a young age especially the kicking aspect. I reckon if kids play more oztag and touch with rugby league we will have more attacking halves come through.

N

Natboy

It might be because kids are now just being taught to run straight and hard, I also see it hard for kids to develop smart kicking games and running/passing games from a young age especially the kicking aspect. I reckon if kids play more oztag and touch with rugby league we will have more attacking halves come through.
Very true but I also blame oztag a bit for so many kids wanted to play 5/8 like benji etc

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Very true but I also blame oztag a bit for so many kids wanted to play 5/8 like benji etc
Yeah, oztag atleast feature some kicking while touch is more the 5/8's game haha, I also blame schools not teaching footy from younger ages but rather playing hybrid made up sports or sports that no one ever plays around here...

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No hb depth, no hooker depth and definitely no winger depth should be the sub title to ur thread.
We are a bit light on centres too. There's Morris and Lafai who both prefer the left side and on the right we have Inu who prefers to get lost and do little.

very concerned.
Well, I suppose we trust Dessie to select sides and prepare them for each game depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition

But... since Des loaths making changes and we have next to no morale - no speed off the line defence - no aggression - no variation in attack - no set plays - no reliable kicking game I guess there's not too much to trust in at all.

How about we cancel the trust bit and just hope like hell that our forwards all do a "Give Me Some Mongrel" course and get a full back, wingers, a right centre and a half back that can do the business next season.

Whether we buy them or somehow reinvent who we've got I don't know. But that's what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.