Official Gus on Twitter

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They survived on the emotion of being a new team initially . . . As last year wore on, they were ground down and finished 2 wins above us. So even the most experienced and arguably the best coach in the game's history,couldn't do much with a new squad either. . How'd the dolphins go on the weekend btw ?
Don’t really care, not a Phins fan

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Idk been stuffed since yesterday I messaged @Dognacious about it hopefully sorted soon
Been finding replies to my posts that aren't coming up on Alerts.

Apologise in advance to anyone for not replying...just aren't being alerted to them....so far they've all been nice so you aren't on Ignore haha.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree with aĺl that you've pointed out.

Regardless of our non-aggressive props problem, (get O'Meley to feed them raw meat after he's torn strips off then lol) there are still plenty of opportunities for CC to fix the 1%ers like handling, poor kicking game, enthusiasm to impose themselves in the game and not stand back and watch, use the bench rotation better than waiting 75 mins to give a guy a run.

Anyway....we await the Sharks game and improvement.
Agree @wendog33

I posted elsewhere, after that game, with the errors, position and frankly awful ruck management by the ref (I hate balming refs, but let's be honest, it was shit), how do we know what this team can do, just by getting the basics right? If we completed @ 90%, got a fair rub in the ruck and still got rolled like that, then I would be unhappy. But we scored 2 good tries with little possession.

I don't understand his bench rotation, but it seems like he waits for certain conditions or milestones before using the bench rotation. I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm certain there's a formula. He just doesn't seem like a random guy to me. He might make clangers, but he's got his own reasons for making them.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree @wendog33

I posted elsewhere, after that game, with the errors, position and frankly awful ruck management by the ref (I hate balming refs, but let's be honest, it was shit), how do we know what this team can do, just by getting the basics right? If we completed @ 90%, got a fair rub in the ruck and still got rolled like that, then I would be unhappy. But we scored 2 good tries with little possession.

I don't understand his bench rotation, but it seems like he waits for certain conditions or milestones before using the bench rotation. I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm certain there's a formula. He just doesn't seem like a random guy to me. He might make clangers, but he's got his own reasons for making them.
Did Kikau play as a middle for part of the game - seems illogical to rest/replace back rowers when the middle struggle so much

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Did Kikau play as a middle for part of the game - seems illogical to rest/replace back rowers when the middle struggle so much
I think he defends much tighter (closer to the ruck) than in attack. Seems to lead left-hand chase then A-defend the first few tackles. I see him as an 80-minute player and pure middle bench rotation. 8, 10 and 13 are the positions that should rotate and frankly, for our team, probably our number 9.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn’t say they were going anywhere you delusional halfwit. When Gould is done I guarantee you the Dogs will still be looking to play finals.
Wow! Spencer got eight weeks!! Seems that no amount of cash can smother the underlying true roosters culture eh?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he defends much tighter (closer to the ruck) than in attack. Seems to lead left-hand chase then A-defend the first few tackles. I see him as an 80-minute player and pure middle bench rotation. 8, 10 and 13 are the positions that should rotate and frankly, for our team, probably our number 9.
Mahoney made 51 tackles in that game we should definitely be rotating him. No DH can be on point in attack after putting themselves under that much duress in defence. He over cooks himself every game doing that.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree @wendog33

Rather that he didn't make the clangers ;)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Mahoney made 51 tackles in that game we should definitely be rotating him. No DH can be on point in attack after putting themselves under that much duress in defence. He over cooks himself every game doing that.
I we didn't drop the ball 14 times maybe he wouldn't have to make 51 tackles.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No shit, my point is his tackle counts are always way too high for an eighty minute hooker
There's simple answer, reduce his minutes or reduce his need to make too many tackles so he can play effectively for 80 minutes. It seems to me that the latter is the more attractive choice.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There's simple answer, reduce his minutes or reduce his need to make too many tackles so he can play effectively for 80 minutes. It seems to me that the latter is the more attractive choice.

Always a Bulldog
There's not too many 9's playing the full 80 anymore in R1 stats and our props do need to be more aggressive and assertive up front.

We need to copy his team sheet from Parra days if possible to try and get him back on track.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have one or two nice props coming through our Flegg and Seve looks good in Ball. However the real talent is in our Matts squad. There are some scary Mofos in that squad. We need to lock up Seve's brother, the number 8, 13 and 16 at least that played on the weekend. Our HM Matts team also has 2 beast wingers. However they never get the ball, because we just play through the middle with a middle forward scoring nearly every set. I will be shocked if they don't win it undefeated. Only issue will be complacency. Problem is that Matts which is under 17s (some may turn 18 this year?), so they are 2-3 years away minimum form NRL. Seve is a prospect for late 25 at the earliest. I was glad to see Damon Marshal play 10 for Flegg. We have enough 13s. His tackling is great, but needs to take more carries. He did a nice play the ball that lead to a try on the weekend which was nice. Thats a long time to wait. Good thing is we have a gun Flegg squad followed by a gun Matts squad, followed by a second gun Matts squad. If we can hold on to the best..the players are coming. Just going to take 2-3 years.
Marshall only played lock last year because he played up a grade he's normally a prop forward.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree with aĺl that you've pointed out.

Regardless of our non-aggressive props problem, (get O'Meley to feed them raw meat after he's torn strips off then lol) there are still plenty of opportunities for CC to fix the 1%ers like handling, poor kicking game, enthusiasm to impose themselves in the game and not stand back and watch, use the bench rotation better than waiting 75 mins to give a guy a run.

Anyway....we await the Sharks game and improvement.
We do need a "No S#!ts Given"/"Charge-the-guns" type Alpha prop, but that becomes more essential as Top8/Top 4/Premiership Threat starts to become realistic. (Maybe Hughes becomes that guy as he settles in. Maybe it's a pup. Maybe they're not here yet).

In the meantime, there is absolutely no reason why King, Hughes, Fa'amausili, Curran & Morrin (or Patolo, Kautoga, or someone else) cannot provide us with a decent foundation, even if our line up doesn't (yet) have oppositions s#!tting themselves.

To help with that, it is absolutely essential that our halfback (and to a lesser extent Burton) manage our games smartly (smart tactical kicking should be the primary KPI for our halfback), get us into dominant field position and help our pack do the job they need to do for us.

Similarly, we need our backs to get our sets moving forward (and to be fair, they haven't done a terrible job with that). But we cannot just keep blaming the pack. There's some decent go forward there. We need to be smart and help them.