Official Gus on Twitter

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Gould has strengths and also has glaring flaws. The NRL is passing Gould by.
Thanks for the scoop Polly :-).

Gus is 65 - of course he’s coming to the end of his career and the Bulldogs GM role could well be his last major assignment. Not everyone wants to be Skelator working in high pressure roles into their 70’s and Gus may end up in the media alone for a few more seasons before heading for the recliner like Rabs did. I’m sure the Bulldog board and Gus himself have succession as part of their plan - it would be remiss of them if they didn’t but as with many things the detractors say - there’s no evidence to suggest that’s true.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Gus is a proper dinosaur. I like when he rants about doctors and how they ruined rugby league lol
I find it funny when people criticize him on this board (not talking about this post) when he is most likely smarter than all of them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I find it funny when people criticize him on this board (not talking about this post) when he is 100% smarter than all of them.
I've said it numerous times on here that I think he's going an excellent job with our pathways and development however I do think he's taking the absolutely piss with the NRL roster. I understand why he's doing it but I still hate it.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've said it numerous times on here that I think he's going an excellent job with our pathways and development however I do think he's taking the absolutely piss with the NRL roster. I understand why he's doing it but I still hate it.
Fair position - last season there were some truly diabolical recruitment decisions - seemed irrational at the time and in hindsight were even worse - i get the experienced utility player can be value for money but why so many of them - appreciate there are very few fg ready middles available atm - hopefully the comment about having space if one or two becomes available for next year is true. Hughes and Patolo may also have a lot more to offer if they can avoid injuries.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fair position - last season there were some truly diabolical recruitment decisions - seemed irrational at the time and in hindsight were even worse - i get the experienced utility player can be value for money but why so many of them - appreciate there are very few fg ready middles available atm - hopefully the comment about having space if one or two becomes available for next year is true. Hughes and Patolo may also have a lot more to offer if they can avoid injuries.
Short-term squad building just isn't a priority for Gus with him firmly focused on the future and it has left us with an unbalanced squad. Our senior signings so far have essentially been fringe players or youngsters looking for an opportunity and signing short-term deals with us or Gus locking in key players he likes on long-term deals for the future. If we strike gold with those fringe players then great, if not then we try again. It's shit but I get it. Just too much risk for me when our marquee signing aren't actually established players in their key roles.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Short-term squad building just isn't a priority for Gus with him firmly focused on the future and it has left us with an unbalanced squad. Our senior signings so far have essentially been fringe players or youngsters looking for an opportunity and signing short-term deals with us or Gus locking in key players he likes on long-term deals for the future. If we strike gold with those fringe players then great, if not then we try again. It's shit but I get it. Just too much risk for me when our marquee signing aren't actually established players in their key roles.
You are all missing the point and the big picture here.
There are no elite players on the market so he is buying established first graders to provide depth. This year we had players playing that were not first grade standard due to poor depth.
The buys like Mann and Hutchinson also bring good culture and very good trainers.
the young guys that arent ready in reserve grade need these experienced hard heads to show them the way.
They are only short term deals and this will enable us to bring the young guys through and not rush them.
It also creates competition for spots where the younger guys won’t as they are not ready.
We have some excellent prospects coming through but they are a few years off

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There are no elite players on the market so he is buying established first graders to provide depth. This year we had players playing that were not first grade standard due to poor depth.
The buys like Mann and Hutchinson also bring good culture and very good trainers.
the young guys that arent ready in reserve grade need these experienced hard heads to show them the way.
They are only short term deals and this will enable us to bring the young guys through and not rush them.
It also creates competition for spots where the younger guys won’t as they are not ready.
Where do you see us coming on the ladder Steve? Assuming we have a "normal" run with injuries and CC gets the guys playing to their abilities.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Depth for a starting 13 we don't actually have lol. Don't give me this BS cliche about experienced, hard heads. Gus has been setting this up all year and you've all taken the bait.

These bloke are mostly all plodders that have failed to establish themselves as starting footballers, yes there's some value to their experience but the reality is we signed them because we couldn't attract anything better. This isn't some well thought out recruitment drive, it's simply us doing the bare minimum.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Depth for a starting 13 we don't actually have lol. Don't give me this BS cliche about experienced, hard heads. Gus has been setting this up all year and you've all taken the bait.

These bloke are mostly all plodders that have failed to establish themselves as starting footballers, yes there's some value to their experience but the reality is we signed them because we couldn't attract anything better. This isn't some well thought out recruitment drive, it's simply us doing the bare minimum.
LMAO

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the scoop Polly :-).

Gus is 65 - of course he’s coming to the end of his career and the Bulldogs GM role could well be his last major assignment. Not everyone wants to be Skelator working in high pressure roles into their 70’s and Gus may end up in the media alone for a few more seasons before heading for the recliner like Rabs did. I’m sure the Bulldog board and Gus himself have succession as part of their plan - it would be remiss of them if they didn’t but as with many things the detractors say - there’s no evidence to suggest that’s true.
Strange as it might seems now, I believe in order to continue our long term progress in the same fashion we should be looking for a young understudy for Gould, someone that would learn from him the tricks of the trade to insure progression...The Gould's way !

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

As i said missing the point

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Strange as it might seems now, I believe in order to continue our long term progress in the same fashion we should be looking for a young understudy for Gould, someone that would learn from him the tricks of the trade to insure progression...The Gould's way !
As I said - no doubt succession planning is happening.

Malla

Reaction score

This is the harsh truth, I think all Dogs fans should accept this before next season. I honestly don't think Gus believes the team he has on paper for first grade will do anything this year or even next. I think this is something he put together in the hope they can at least be competitive.

Gus is purely focused on the Harold Matts, SG Ball and Jersey Flegg - identifying the future first graders and making sure they get the right development into FG. He secured the future of Wood, signed all the first grade potential talent from the Flegg team. He's spending a lot of time in the halves academy with Wood, O'Neill and Karl.

Until then, what will continue to happen is players on big money will be managed out to free up cap space for the future. Players who become available while under contract at another club will be linked to Dogs and Gus will not get into a bidding war with anyone for any player or over pay.

Honestly, get used to being mediocre for a few more years.